Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Frenjie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frenjie.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Frenjie »

For me, it isn't a big deal if the man reads or not before I can decide on dating him. If he's interested in listening to my stories about my readings, that would be awesome. At least, there's something that we can discuss together that's worth our time. But if he does read, that would really be a big bonus!
" Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything." - Napoleon Hill
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
Atheinne
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by Atheinne »

I could IF AND ONLY IF he lets me read on my own, doesn't makes me choose between him or the book, and doesn't downgrade my reading hobby. I'm okay with the occasional "you always read" or "you might want to finish your tbr pile before buying another book". As long as he doesn't become a solid wall between me and books, I'm okay with that. BUT he better be intellectual. Otherwise we can't have awesome conversations.
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by David_92 »

If I date a partner that doesnt love to read I will be dating a prisoner. You know reading opens someone's mind to the world and expands their imagination and that is freedom. I do not want to be stuck with a prisoner.
Am sorry.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Kiagewinnie
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kiagewinnie.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Kiagewinnie »

Yes I would , everyone has their own preferences in what they do so it's no big deal
Nathi_Enoch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathi-enoch.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Nathi_Enoch »

Yeah I probably could, because then you could teach them how to enjoy reading books and I think that experience would be very interesting to follow. Also, you can discuss other topics with your love interest, for example movies or series.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
robynrowe82
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by robynrowe82 »

I don’t think so. I married someone who wasn’t a reader and while that isn’t the reason it didn’t work out, it was certainly one of many things we didn’t have in common. Being able to share the experience of getting lost in the pages is an important one I think. My current partner and I, along with our son, gave reading time at least 3-4 nights a week for 20 minutes. Often it’s the best part of the day!
Jensenisnotaloser

Post by Jensenisnotaloser »

I don't think I could date someone that chose not to read! I get very excited about what I read because books can change your perspectives and can really touch your heart and make you change! If I couldn't discuss my interest and passion then I feel the relationship would fail, if I truly did think I was in love with someone who didn't read, I would try and get them into it! I have always loved reading but my friends took more convincing, I had to find some really good books and it changed their view on reading!
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

I do not think I could date someone who does not like to read. I have already a hard time with some of my family members who hate reading. Even though I am always encouraging them to explore the wonders that reading a book brings, they refuse to listen. Reading is one of my main interests, and I would like to share it with my partner.
princessERI
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 599">Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princesseri.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by princessERI »

I think I can as long as there is continuous communications between me and him.
Though I admit I'm mostly attracted on male readers than those who didn't.
I tend to lose interest easily and perhaps the main reason would be this.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
AngMS
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angms.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by AngMS »

It's hard for me to understand when people have such a distaste in reading but then again I am not big on a lot of things. For example everyone likes pizza right? I don't. People don't understand, neither do I honestly because I'm not sure why I don't like it considering everything on it, I like. With that being said I have to be okay with people liking it, so as long as my partner is okay with me reading all the time and maybe listens to me read aloud or laugh out loud every once in awhile then I would date them and I would be okay with it.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Noksion

Post by Noksion »

I wanted to tell that i probably could, but then i remembered that every single girlfriend i was ever dating (i mean, being in a long-term romantic relationship) loved to read. So despite i don't have any pre-set filters for "non-readers", it seems like it just works subconsciously for me :)
ordinarydoor2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ordinarydoor2 »

I am engaged to someone who doesn't like to read. Some just don't..he doesn't care that I do...he thinks I have enough book haha my grandma just moved and has 30 book boxes..yeah I get it from her!!
ruishigan
Currently Reading: Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by ruishigan »

I really don't care. As long as he doesn't look down on reading or think it's stupid, then I would have no problem dating someone who doesn't like to read.
Ramatu0
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Ramatu0 »

Well I think I can date someone who does not read because there are ways of getting a book read example like telling a story or putting it in conversation which will only make the relationship more interesting
Molly May
Currently Reading: Professor P and the Jurassic Coast
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-molly-may.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Molly May »

If they didn't read books, that's totally understandable!
Sometimes it is less convenient and quite expensive to own books so I get it.

If they didn't read at all it would be a deal breaker!
Reading material comes in many forms, including articles, blogs, comics etc. I believe reading keeps your brain active and keeps you feeling inspired.

Reading can be pretty attractive as it makes someone seem more knowledgeable. It also suggests they are interested in other people's perspectives, which is a great quality to have. However, I do not think I could cope if someone read ALL THE TIME. In that case, you might not get much attention from them if they are constantly looking at a page. What if you went to bed and then they just got out a book and you fell asleep...every night?

Though it would make finding gifts so easy. Birthday: book. Christmas: book. Anniversary: book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”