Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Sharon2056 »

I wouldn't date someone who doesn't read. Reading is refreshing as much as makes our minds younger. If someone doesn't read and learn, they are aging emotionally despite their physical age.
Nmalosky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nmalosky »

I am married to an awesome man who doesn’t read-for fun that is. But he encourages our son to read and listens (at least half intently)to me talk about whatever books I’m reading at the time or what I learned from the latest journal article I read.
sepicatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sepicatt.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by sepicatt »

No I could not, the same way I couldn't date someone who doesn't work out. I enjoy books, it's part of who I am, and while I don't need someone to read the same genre as I do, I do expect the person I am dating to read and appreciate books.
rave_2
Currently Reading: A Word so Fitly Spoken
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rave-2.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by rave_2 »

Sorry, but I wouldn't. Reading is pretty important to me.
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
MsHoney
Currently Reading: La travesia del Viajero del Alba
Bookshelf Size: 334

Post by MsHoney »

I did, and it didn't work out haha. Ironically his dad was an author, so I actually read more during that relationship than after it ended. Now I am happily married to someone who does indeed like to read too, although he doesn't read nearly as much as me.
Abrink2
Currently Reading: Daughters of the Bride
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Abrink2 »

I would date someone who doesn't read for fun. My current boyfriend isn't a huge reader. He reads on very rare occasion and it's working out well. We have very different tastes in books anyway, so it's not like we could read and discuss our favorites. He has expressed interest in a few books I've read and that's enough for me. As long as we have a little bit in common in the reading area I am fine with it.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

I don't think I can except the person is, by some weird chance, a very intellectual person. I'm glad though that my fiancee reads.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

My first boyfriend wasn't a chronic reader like me, he preferred to lock himself away for a day or two for one long reading session. They were pretty rare, only happening two or three times during the relationship. This facet of the relationship was interesting to say the least.
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

I don't think I could date someone who doesn't read. So much of my life revloves around books and stories that I doubt we'd be able to find anything of substance to talk about!
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

I would certainly date with someone who doesn't read because I believe there are so many other aspect of life that we can enjoy together apart from reading and I am sure when he sees me engrossed in a book he will understand and give me my space.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

Great question. My husband enjoys film and tv but also understands the pleasure of curling up with a good book. He doesn’t read often but when he does he enjoys it.

I couldn’t be with someone who sees books as boring or pointless. I’m immediately turned off those people.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

No. However, I would like to clarify that the following counts as "reading books" for me: Audiobooks, textbooks, the real-deal books, and ebooks as well :)
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
DebD41192
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DebD41192 »

I am an avid reader, 3-4 books a week. My husband reads Bass Times, and that is about it. We have been married for 26 years, so yes, it is quite possible! I enjoy telling him about great storylines, or characters that have made me laugh, cry, or the ones I really hate, even though I know he will NEVER read the book. It works for us.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

My immediate response is “no way, ew!” But honestly, if the person was still smart and caring and possessed other attractive qualities, I probably would.
FayJac
Currently Reading: Begin Again
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fayjac.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by FayJac »

I dated and MARRIED someone who doesn't like to read. He has no interest in what I am reading. We have been married almost 30 years. At first he reacted to my love of reading but he has gotten used to it and we have plenty to talk about without discussing what I am reading.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”