Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Mathew Makau
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Mathew Makau »

Yes...i can date anyone, so long as they don't deter me from doing that which I love...reading,
Aaliyah2
Favorite Book: Raising Boys
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaliyah2.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Aaliyah2 »

My husband doesn’t read at all, but he doesn’t mind me talking about the book. We met when I was “paused” on reading books, or atleast for enjoyment. I was just working and going to school. I do wish that he would read but I don’t think that is going to happen anytime soon considering his personality. But nothing is impossible. Maybe years from now he may I highly doubt it but who knows what the future holds. :wink2:
Aaliyah
Edidiong Francis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Edidiong Francis »

Pride and loftiness comes in when some beings gets to one level of attainment or the other,choosing to die inside,than to express their feelings toward the person the have that feeling for,. again those set of beings end up in a broken relationship,because they end up having an affair with hypocrite,. so in mine own few,i can date someone who doen't read.
fmbello33
Currently Reading: Miller's View: La Isla de la Muerte
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by fmbello33 »

Not likely
Date and marry someone who shares the same interest as you do for a good lasting relationship
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

When my husband and I started dating, other things were more important than who reads or doesn't read. My husband has always found reading hard work, I have always found it a joy. After 24 years of being married, we found audiobooks from the library. Now we can discuss books together. Who needs a TV?
Pingin51
Currently Reading:

Post by Pingin51 »

I was an avid reader, but currently going through a phase where I want to like reading but just don't enjoy it. I think everyone should like to read something, but maybe they don't have the time or are currently disinclined or whatever. I don't think I could date someone who never read a whole book or who hated the idea of reading... our values would not match.
ems2
Currently Reading: Political Dirty Trick
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ems2.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by ems2 »

I'm married to a man that doesn't sit and read. He likes to do things, which work out well because he can do, and I can read.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

No, I couldn't. I enjoy reading, and I have grown up in a family that loves to read. There are so many different reading resources available: books, magazines, newspapers, journals, etc - online or offline. I don't what type of conversation I could have with someone who does not read.
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

I like to keep an open mind and would love to hear why a person doesn't read before automatically rejecting them, but it would be very difficult to date someone who doesn't read.
Jilheins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jilheins.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Jilheins »

I have dated people who did not read and it was a horrible mistake. If you don't have the desire to continually grow and learn, then you're going to stagnate. The people I'm thinking of began reminiscing about their youth as they grew older. If you're reading, learning, and motivated, I don't think you just look back to your glory days. You see the potential before you.

Many people became successful when they were elderly (e.g. Colonel Sanders). The Colonel didn't just sit on the couch and sigh about his expanding waistline. He seized the day and became a millionaire!
Bookmaniac
Currently Reading: The Last Stop
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Bookmaniac »

Sure, for awhile.
kimley7
Currently Reading: Think and Grow Rich
Bookshelf Size: 2
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally

Post by kimley7 »

I wouldn't date someone who doesn't read because I want someone who is hungry for knowledge. He has to be open to expand his knowledge.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Yes, I could. In fact I did, and married him as well! Its not a big deal. In fact he's very knowledgeable and interested in all sorts of things and really enjoys it when I explain what I'm reading to him, and we have some very meaningful discussions as a result. So differences don't necessarily need to divide...:-)
BlackkPepper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by BlackkPepper »

I have no problem dating a non reader because even I stayed for sometime without reading anything. True, I felt empty and borderline dumb, but as long as my reading time doesn't seem a bother to you then yes.
On the same time, I find I enjoy more company with someone who reads and can laugh about something an author wrote in a book
Samantha Powell
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-powell.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Samantha Powell »

Could I date someone who doesn't like to read?

My first boyfriend absolutely hated reading. It was strange to me, but I figured to each their own.

We dated for a year and within that time I only read two or three books mainly because we were always together, and reading was something he often referred to as stupid...or a waste of time.

Thank goodness I got out of that when I did!

My husband loves to read. He doesn't read as many books as I do, but our reading styles are also very different. The books he reads are often centered around mythology so they are usually much longer, more complex stories than my choice of genres, which are usually more light hearted.

I'm so thankful for a spouse who enjoys reading and understands when he rolls over in bed at 4 am to find me reading "Just one more chapter"

I think a life together not shared by reading, would be quite lonely in the end.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”