Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
OneHippieChick
Currently Reading: Melanie's Evanscent Journey
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by OneHippieChick »

I would probably have to pass on someone who doesn't enjoy reading. Reading would have to be such a huge topic of discussion and if he didn't read for pleasure or information, our conversations would be limited.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I'm a little late to this thread but I'm going to go ahead and say NO! I mean, what would we talk about? I probably have spent most of my life reading so being around someone who doesn't get why would be pointless.
Jacki Mac Iver Hill
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: the irrational mind
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacki-mac-iver-hill.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Jacki Mac Iver Hill »

I know I could date someone who doesn't read. I know this because my ex, whom I was with for thirty years, and I are both avid readers. However he never wanted to discuss either the books he read or the books I read, much less recommend or want recommendations on content to read. So in effect, I might as well have been with someone who didn't read.

My current husband is an avid reader as well, but he enjoys recanting the stories he's read and suggesting books to me. We don't exactly enjoy the same genres, but some overlap a little. One of his recommendations was that I read the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins and I'm so glad he did.

Some of my best memories are of he and I reading together at night after getting into bed. Even though we're each immersed in something totally different, the camaraderie and closeness we share during those special times is unmatched.
Book O-Rama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-o-rama.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Book O-Rama »

No. My husband would object. (J/K)

Seriously though - No, I could not "date" anyone who does not read since reading is something I treasure.
My husband and I are both avid readers.
faisalchaudhary47
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by faisalchaudhary47 »

Haha yes. I can date someone who can't read.
Tinkerbiang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Tinkerbiang »

Why not! Knowledge doesnt come from reading only. Sometimes, it comes with own life experiences, sharings from others, observations and great talks. Reading doesnt define who you are. A good laugh and a great conversation during date were not earned from reading a book alone. Chemistry and being yourself is what important. Just enjoy the day and seize the moment.
Hey Alyssa
Favorite Book: Diary of Anne Frank
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Hey Alyssa »

Well in my case, I never plan on dating someone in this lifetime. I belive that the temporary happiness that a romantic relationship can give is not something I should be focusing on, like ever. But I do have a lot of friends who does not enjoy reading a book. So, eventhough we do not have the same interests, I believe I can still enjoy their company.
Tinka Tinks
Currently Reading:
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tinka Tinks »

I must admit I have done thus before and it just needs me to target other areas and topics of interest for discussion in our relationship. Often when we do look at a movie my partner asks me to compare it to the book. I can safely say its not the end of the world however maybe his understanding for my love for reading would be greater acceoted if only he read more!
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

no way, i like swapping books with my s/o and building a massive shelf together
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

It depends on who they are as an overall person. Not reading wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker for me, but if they do read it wins them points with me. :lol2:
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Of course I would. Not being able to date someone because they don't share one of your hobbies just doesn't seem right to me. I focus more on how the person treats other people, their perception on life, and physical appearance counts as well. We could have countless things we share in common besides reading.
Laura52316
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura52316.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by Laura52316 »

Apparently yes, because I married a non-reader. I don't try to force him to read, but I have presented books that I thought would interest him. No luck, but hey. He has his hobbies and I have books!
yonyan0314
Currently Reading: Ninja Spy Cats
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by yonyan0314 »

For me its a YES, I could date a person who doesn't read, because its not necessarly he/she doesn't understand what I thought or what is on my mind nor thinking.
Atleast we understand each other that is more important.
Wesley Liu
Currently Reading: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Wesley Liu »

To be honest, I could not date someone who doesn't read, unless they are interested in other delivery forms of education, such as tutoring. I could not imagine myself forming a relationship with someone who doesn't have a similar intellectual capability as me. If the person doesn't read or doesn't yearn and appreciate knowledge, I would have no interest in that person, whether the person's personality or beauty was exceptional. The person would not be able to understand most of what I'm saying, because they would not have much of a strong opinion and reasoning to have a regular conversation with me about work, life, etc.
J3nni315
Currently Reading: Music to My Ears (Pre-Release Beta Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j3nni315.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by J3nni315 »

While dating I really try to keep an open mind but, most of my life consists of reading books and it would be hard to share my passion of books with someone that doesn't understand what I am talking about. We don't have to read the same books, but I would like to talk about themes of family, friendships, and sacrifice just to name a few.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”