Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
gracedemola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by gracedemola »

Finding a person who actually reads fiction novels for fun would be refreshing, and a nice plus. In this digital age, I believe reading is relative. With a much more high-paced world and smartphones as the new entertainment, Buzzfeed articles and Facebook posts are arguably replacing novels as a reading pastime.
Chi_pego
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chi-pego.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Chi_pego »

I personally find it hard. I have tried in the past but there was always a connection gap. I felt like there was a whole other world or part of me I couldn't share and it felt lonely.
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

My partner likes reading but prioritizes other hobbies above it. I like that read he reads sometimes, but we are interested in very different books - every recommendation one of us gave to the other they hated and that definitely leaves a gap in connection.

I think it would almost be easier to date someone who doesn't read as opposed to someone who doesn't share your reading interests.
hadizasalisu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hadizasalisu.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by hadizasalisu »

I couldn't possibly enjoy dating someone who doesn't read, I tried it, and it failed woefully, whenever a conversation takes place I constantly felt like I was banging my head against a wall. Not very fun. :tiphat:
Vikkyjoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Vikkyjoy »

I don't think i can date someone who doesn't read,reading is knowledge and we all know that knowledge is essential in our world,its power..if he doesn't read how will he have that.
Ibeh12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibeh12.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Ibeh12 »

Yes, I can marry someone who doesn't read if both of us have a true connection and love each other. Everyone should have a right to their personal preferences.
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

I was going to say that most people read something even if it isn't a book but then suddenly realized that a lot of people have trouble with literacy. I now feel a little humbled since looking up the stats and finding there are hundreds of millions of people around the world that can't read. So back to the question; I think I would date people that don't read and try and gently encourage them to read.
Book Bear
Currently Reading: Earth Alone
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-bear.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B0184OCGAK

Post by Book Bear »

I was going to say that most people read something even if it isn't a book but then suddenly realized that a lot of people have trouble with literacy. I now feel a little humbled since looking up the stats and finding there are hundreds of millions of people around the world that can't read. So back to the question; I think I would date people that don't read and try and gently encourage them to read.
Aliyu Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliyu-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Aliyu Yusuf »

my brother, you can't know a person who is into books by looking at their forehead. It's not written on the forehead of people. And if you intend on starting your relationship based on this then i can tell you that you will be single for a very very long time my brother.
Even those who tell you they read may not be into the kinds of books you read and conversation or discussion with your partner (that is if you finally found one) shouldn't be all bookish or else you are going to sound boring to him or her everytime your mouth opens to speak because before you say a word he or she would have already known it's gonna be bookish.
There's more to relationships than books alone bro, and also more to life. So don't build yours on pages alone
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

I already tried dating someone who actually does not believe in books. He is smart and most of his knowledge are from practical application but sadly our conversation is very limited to what he knows. And books are not part of it. He have a hard time relating to my excitement over books and good stories.
I actually judge people on how trustworthy they are based on how they take care of books especially library books. I really hate people who destroy or careless in handling books.
zoharis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 198

Post by zoharis »

Yes, of course.To each their own.
I'm the bookworm and my husband is more into movies and music. So far it's working fine for us.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

The ol' saying is that opposites attract so with that I do believe that I can date someone who does not read. Besides with me if I was dating someone who enjoys reading as much as I do they would probably stay really mad if they haven't read a book before me because I am always a blabber mouth over the book I have read.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Nicolene Nix
Favorite Book: Inheritance
Currently Reading: Dragon Bound
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolene-nix.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Nicolene Nix »

I used to be a very avid reader, especially in school. But I haven't been glued to book in a while. There are of course my favourites (The Inheritance Cycle) that I would randomly start rereading. But my partner doesn't like reading that much, and that doesn't bother us at all. I love telling him about it and he loves listening, questioning what happened or how things turned out. He's a curios soul with a large imagination but he finds reading to be too much work. So instead, I become the storyteller, he would listen intently, and that creates a different kind of special bond. It also helps that he remembers what happened and when I progress in my book he'd ask me 'So did anything new happen to [insert character name]?' :wink2:
Emeraldruby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emeraldruby »

Hm🤔 love don't care when the person can't read or write anything,everything he/she do will be perfect that is love ....
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Yes i can as long as they are willing to be patient with my reading and at times pretend to be interested.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”