Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Carolyn O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Carolyn O »

Not only could I date someone who doesn't read, I married him :techie-studyingbrown:
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

One word answer: no.
R3vi3W
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by R3vi3W »

Not only would it be hard to date someone if they did not read...it would depend on what they choose to read as well.
Yung Senpai
Favorite Book: Lolita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Yung Senpai »

Yes, I could. Reading is not a popular form of entertainment nowadays, it would take some serious petty and nitpicking to only date people who read. So I could understand why my partner wouldn't share the same enthusiasm I have for literature.
Faith Atieno okoth
Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-atieno-okoth.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Faith Atieno okoth »

Quit hard because, when you want to discuss some amazing books you've read,he will always be blank, or want to share new ideas some always come from the books
Francescacm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francescacm.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Francescacm »

My husband reads but we do not discuss books in any great detail. I think that reading is a good way of removing yourself from your everyday stresses and helps me to relax. I save the debates for my mum and dad who are both avid readers and read all different genres.
minkajane
Currently Reading: Artemis Fowl Collection
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-minkajane.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by minkajane »

I could date someone who wasn't a BIG reader, but somebody who didn't read at all? I don't think I could do it. It's not a judgement thing, it's more a compatibility thing. Reading and learning are so important to me that I can't imagine it working out.
pinefamily

Post by pinefamily »

Reading to me is a sign of intelligence and empathy. So I don't think it is nitpicking to say I wouldn't date someone who didn't read. I'd be worried about not being able to have intelligent conversations on a range of topics.
Luckily for me, my wife is an avid reader too, although the dreaded social media encroaches on her reading time.
adadwani1793
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by adadwani1793 »

I think it would be really hard for me to be with someone who doesn’t actually read. Not having time to read is a different story but choosing to not actually read a book, that’s something else. I think if I was with someone and I found out that they don’t read then that would be a deal breaker. I would be like what is wrong with you.
Reading to me is a stress reliever and it helps me getaway from the daily stuff.
It’s like I am in a different world where I can be whoever I wanna be and live their life through books.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

No, because reading is such a big part of who I am, that being with someone who does not love it or understand the joy of it, probably would not be a good match in a long term. I don't need to discuss books in depth with my partner, but I love being with someone who smiles when they see me light up when I see a good bookshop and is happy to browse the books with me. And supports my decision to introduce the world of books to our kids and helps my quest to make them love it as much as I do.
I guess early dating, as in getting to know someone is possible, but when a person announces vocally that books are boring or just waste of time or something similar to that, it's a major turn off for me to be honest. It basically says that you have no imagination, probably a very short attention span and a small snobbish voice in my head whispers in reply- I guess you are not very bright then...
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I did this before so the answer is yes. Love is blind. :) No matter your affinity for one activity or another, you may fall in love with someone who is completely your opposite. There are no rules.
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

Movie and book referencing constitute 76.5% of my witty-sometimes-snarky rejoinders and butt-in's. I don't want my conversations to be rising to an explosive climax then dying an abrupt death due to the 'huh?' my other half burps out.
lucynewton

Post by lucynewton »

I think I can not because my love of books is too great, and to me, a person who likes to read is a person who loves to learn, that has more culture, imagination, and knowledge. Those are things I love a date to possess, so in my opinion, readers are more interesting and, will have a lot more in common with me, besides the variety of themes we would be able to talk about are more prone to be endless.
That is not to say I will never do it, never say never, some people might have experienced a full life and be knowledgeable in other ways, but what I mean it has to definitely be a person who has lots of different passions and interests to talk about.
:techie-studyingbrown:
pinefamily

Post by pinefamily »

The worst statement a date could make is, "I'd rather wait for the movie."
Sanna Z

Post by Sanna Z »

I think I could, but only if they had an appreciation for books and understood why I love to read so much. Someone who scorns books is a definite no. They also need to be willing to hear me rant from time to time, even if they know nothing about what I’m saying.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”