Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Damaris Juliet
Favorite Book: The Book of Joy
Currently Reading: One Way or Another (The Sisters Quartet)
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damaris-juliet.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Damaris Juliet »

Yes I can but I will have to use all my means and skills to make him /her be in love with books as I am.
cjada911
Favorite Book: Something Wonderful
Currently Reading: The Long Way Home
Bookshelf Size: 59

Post by cjada911 »

Absolutely. It's definitely something I'd notice and would tease them about, but no. As long as they don't mind that I am always screaming and sometimes crying over the books I read and that I am going to have a library in my (our...?) house, I don't care. They need to respect the fact that I love books so much that I want to be a book editor. If they can't do that then we'd have a problem :hand:. Otherwise, we're good(:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

cjada911 wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 23:00 Absolutely. It's definitely something I'd notice and would tease them about, but no. As long as they don't mind that I am always screaming and sometimes crying over the books I read and that I am going to have a library in my (our...?) house, I don't care. They need to respect the fact that I love books so much that I want to be a book editor. If they can't do that then we'd have a problem :hand:. Otherwise, we're good(:
This is a good and better perspective of view. it is true that what will matter at the end is if the other person will agree to accommodate your interests and likes or not and whether conflicts may arise from this.
Nice point here.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

My husband doesn't read much, but he understand when I just want to sit and binge read. So it works. His vice is video games, he plays them the same way I read.
Cristal2408
Favorite Book: Magic Shifts
Currently Reading: El honor perdido de Katharina Blum
Bookshelf Size: 463
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristal2408.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by Cristal2408 »

Storm+ wrote: 27 Jun 2018, 17:52 I think I could probably date someone who doesn't read, but I would prefer to date someone who reads as much as I do so that I could discuss things that I've read and even some of the things that I've written.
Same! My ex-boyfriend didn't read at all and he was never really interested in hearing me talk about books. It wasn't a dealbreaker, but right now I'm dating this guy who goes into every bookstore he sees and it's amazing! I never knew how great it could be to go out with someone who liked to read.
It's no use to go back to yesterday... I was a different person then.---Lewis Carrol from Alice in Wonderland
LarissaRunamuck
Favorite Book: A Wizard of Earthsea
Currently Reading: Kicking & Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larissarunamuck.html
Latest Review: Darkness in Malaga by Paul S Bradley

Post by LarissaRunamuck »

I think intelligence and valuing intellectual conversation matter more to me than whether or not the person actively reads. It can be my own thing to appreciate and enjoy
“But need alone is not enough to set power free: there must be knowledge.”
― Ursula K. Le Guin, A Wizard of Earthsea
WonderfulWonder17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wonderfulwonder17.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: iPhone

Post by WonderfulWonder17 »

I don’t understand anyone that doesn’t read. I would not refuse to date someone solely on the fact that they didn’t read, but I would try my hardest to get them read just a little.
Spatial Douglas 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Spatial Douglas 1 »

That would definitely be a NO! like the relationship would be very boring because we would not be able to communicate effectively. I would like us to discuss things we've read and educate ourselves.
#spatialDouglas
Torypee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Torypee »

I definitely can date someone who doesn't read, there's gotta be more common ground than just reading.... Reading cannot be the only thing to have in common
_mylilyotv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by _mylilyotv »

My ex wasn't a reader and I was happy, It doesn't really matter to me if my partner reads or not.
However, It would be nice to have someone to sit outside and read with and discuss books and authors etc.
MikleoKrein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by MikleoKrein »

Yes. Definitely.

It's like saying 'Can I date someone who doesn't like figure skating'. That's just an example.

As one can guess, I love the sport but many people don't. Some of my friends don't even know figure skating exists until the Olympics came out, lol! :D

Liking someone needs to have a common ground but it doesn't mean that what you like should be what they like also. It would be great if you have the same interests with your partner as you can binge watch movies you like together, chat about things you like together, and generally have fun with activities that you like together.

There's that sort of excitement mixed in if you have different interests. :tiphat:
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

Unfortunately, I do not think I would be able to. It would not be anything personal against them of course. I am an avid reader and I love discussions, If a person never reads ,they would not be able to nurture or follow a conversation I wanted to develop. It does not have to be books, necessarily, but any place where they could get news or become more educated on a subject. I love learning new things and I would want the person I was with to want to be a pursuer of knowledge as well. I look up everything am interested in, from DIY arts and crafts or learning how to fix something. I would need the person I am with to be just as resourceful. Which I have in my life at this time and 'til the end of time. We are definitely a perfect match for one another.
Kmykel
Favorite Author: Margaret Peterson Haddix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmykel.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 3525

Post by Kmykel »

It isn't a deal breaker for me, as long as they respect my writing time. There's always other things to talk about.

Now, if the person wasn't a nerd at all, I can't handle that. I need someone who's willing to geek out with me over video games and movies. Normal people bore me.
Samantha2442
Currently Reading: Farenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha2442.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad
Reading Device: B01AZ8ERHI

Post by Samantha2442 »

My current boyfriend doesn't read books, whereas I am often finishing several books a week (or more depending on my work schedule). I find that it doesn't really matter that he doesn't read as a hobby, instead, we'll usually just sit on the couch with him on his phone, while I read a book beside him, or I'll read sitting outside while he tinkers with one of his cars.

In my opinion the difference doesn't matter, we can both spend time together while we each do the different things we enjoy.
maryculverflint
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by maryculverflint »

I prefer if they read, but it isn’t a deal breaker. It’s more important to me if they respect my reading. I get so deeply into books that the house could fall down around me and I’d barely notice. :lol:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”