Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Hatarl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hatarl1.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Hatarl1 »

I don’t think it would matter to me. As long as we can carry a conversation and be happy with each other without arguing over every little thing. I’ve never been on a date so I’m not experienced in that department. But I guess I’m a romantic since I’m waiting for the “one”. Also it would be a plus if he would listen when I have stuff to say about the books I read! I can be really into it.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

hmmmmmm, while I love reading and believe people should read to improve themselves, I do not think it should be the only yard stick to measure my girl. there are other ways to access her.
Uche Balogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-balogun.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Uche Balogun »

My boyfriend doesn't like reading, but it's no biggie because we share other interests. I wish we could talk about books together though.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

It's difficult dating someone who doesn't read. Great minds think alike. Great book lovers can perfectly date. Dating who reads has the potential of taking your reading to the next level.
Jackie99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackie99.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B00H8VUGVC

Post by Jackie99 »

I have tried dating men who don't read, and invariably it doesn't work out. I find people who don't read have a more limited view of the world and are often a lot less mature in general. I read so much that I have trouble understanding how people could choose not to read. Even if a man reads totally different stuff than me I don't care.
BadEditions
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-badeditions.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by BadEditions »

I wouldn't exclude someone just because of that, but they'd have to be willing to accept my bookish rants and obsessions, something my current non-bookish friends don't really enjoy. If they hate books, however, we may be too different in personality already. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is a chance if they didn't read, but not so much if they actually hate books. Then it all depends on the person. :)
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Yeah. I don't think its a big deal. As long as they have a great character!
MyFairRachel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myfairrachel.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by MyFairRachel »

I'm actually married to someone who does not read that much. It's because he has difficulty reading due to dysgraphia and dyslexia. He does not dislike books. His favorite when we started dating was 1984, though currently it's To Kill a Mockingbird. He really enjoys talking to me about books I am reading, he finds it to be a compelling art form. However, because the effort is so great, for him to choose to read a book it has to be something great or on a topic he deems important. We have yet to try me reading out loud to him. Mostly due to the fact, I'm a fast reader and he does not have a lot of free time currently.
Chasitynicole90
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chasitynicole90 »

I am married to someone who doesn't read. I look at it this way, more books for me. He supports my reading habbit, even if ita not something he understands. My husband is a gamer so he's at least geeky.
kegoffeney
Currently Reading: Elastic Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kegoffeney.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by kegoffeney »

The short answer: No.

The longer answer: I'm a writer. The last two romantic relationships I had were night and day when it came to most things but especially reading. The first one was with a guy who thought the idea of me being a writer was cool. And he did make an effort to be supportive, tried to read my work, but he just wasn't a reader. After a while, he gave up trying. I told myself this was fine and that was that.

Then, a little while later, that relationship ended and I eventually took up with second guy. He was himself a poet and part of our friendship (which later blossomed into a relationship) was that we critiqued each other's work, I his poetry and he my fiction. And I kid you not, that was romantic as hell. Not in terms of the work's content, but the depths to which we'd critique each other's work simply based off of how much we cared about each other. I'm not really sure how to describe it, but sometimes a great act of love takes the form of an extremely thorough edit. It made us feel closer to each other, our passions validated, and our writing improved.

Ever since then, I knew I could only be romantically involved with people who were readers. Even if they didn't write themselves (one of my best readers is a physicist friend who doesn't write beyond work stuff), they have to read because writing is a part of me.
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

I have, and I don't think it's a big issue for me. It becomes a problem when/if they opposed me reading as well. They would need to understand that it's important to me and something I enjoy.
Misty Dawn
Favorite Book: A Visit from the Goon Squad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reading Device: 1400532620

Post by Misty Dawn »

My boyfriend rarely reads and I wish he did more, because we've had some interesting discussions about books, but we have enough else in common that it doesn't come between us. I think I'd have to consider it case by case, really.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Oh my, what a thought provoking question; with that, no way, no how as I recently faced this very scenario. There is nothing romantically or intellectually stimulating about that for me. #onpoint :tiphat:
toribyers13
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toribyers13.html
Latest Review: What the River Wants by Arthur Byrd

Post by toribyers13 »

Yes, in fact the guy I'm dating now doesn't enjoy reading. I couldn't date someone who didn't accept my love of reading, however. My boyfriend loves how much I love reading, and I love him for loving what he does!
MrsDarcy
Currently Reading: Sense and Sensibility
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsdarcy.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by MrsDarcy »

Reading is one of my few passions, so I don't think I could date someone who doesn't at least have the desire to read. I could understand if people don't have the time, but I truly believe there is a book or book genre out there for everybody. But if it came down to it and I really felt a connection, I guess I could date someone who doesn't read so long as they don't undervalue my own love for reading.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”