Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by PlanetHauth »

I could (and did) date someone who doesn't read. As a teacher, I've worked with children who abhor reading, and have heard all of their reasons why they hate reading, so I understand even if I can't relate or disagree with their view. However, I ended up marrying someone who likes to read, but doesn't have the time to read, so I'm halfway between the two points, I guess. The good thing is, he'll sit and listen to me when I talk about books, and he'll offer what conversation he can about them.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

I don't wwant to judge the person I'm dating just by the fact that he doesn't read. In my country an expression says: Love comes from the stomach... so he might start to read while datind me :D
PascalNoe
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by PascalNoe »

Dating a person who does not read is like eating pasta without cheese.
It is not essential to the dish but it certainly helps.
That's all.
K Geisinger
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by K Geisinger »

People who choose not to read have never been a deal-breaker for me, but rather those with the inability to think critically and discuss a topic. My husband rarely reads, but he will discuss the character development or motivations in shows, movies, and plays. He didn't try reading for pleasure until college and has a difficult time painting the story in his mind.

Someone far worse, who I would choose not to date, are the types of people who think that their way of stress relief or relaxing is the only way. I've met people who insist the ONLY way possible to relax is going to a game/having a drink/watching television. Reading books helps us learn to paint ourselves into different lives and experience new places. The rigid and inflexible are far worse than the non-readers.
Sourpacksuper
Currently Reading: Crude Currency
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Sourpacksuper »

I do not think so. I might be able to, but I'm pretty sure I would not even try.
biscuits
Favorite Book: Life is an open secret
Currently Reading: How to win and influence people
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-biscuits.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer

Post by biscuits »

I'm currently with someone who reads, even much better than I do. He even makes me a better reader. I can't even the imagine the number of books I wouldn't have read without him :lol: .
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Haha...i would totally date someone who doesn't read.I love telling stories so i can just narrate it to them mid-reading or when am done.Definitely not a deal breaker for me.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Yes I could, I don't impose my values on others, I can only hope to influence them with some of my good habits such as reading books the same way I hope to pick up some good habits of theirs too. Though I do not expect to be disturbed while reading. Just saying.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

No good god, I could not. I feel that reading helps one develop empathy for others (as one is constantly forced to stand in the position of various characters), and people who read generally tend to be more intelligent, both intellectually and emotionally.
Hannah Mo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mo.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Hannah Mo »

For me, no probably not. My dream of a perfect date is in a bookstore with coffee and well books. :D Spending all night reading is a wonderful thing to do, and I would want my partner to also sit with me and enjoy the comfort and knowledge that comes from them.
Ericanielsen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericanielsen.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Ericanielsen »

Honestly, I’ve never thought of it as a dealbreaker. My husband and I were together only two weeks before we eloped in Vegas. Admittedly, I had no real time to get to know him. Fast forward six years and here we are today. I have four children ages 10 and under and I find it hard to find time to read. My husband is not a reader. When he does read, it’s always audiobooks. He doesn’t understand finding time to read. It has made it a lot harder for me to find the time for myself. I don’t read as often as I would like to. It’s something I’ve been trying to her into more again.
Kenechukwuanueyiagu

Post by Kenechukwuanueyiagu »

Yes I should. Reading has nothing to do with family or relationship
Muna Manuels

Post by Muna Manuels »

Hi. I'm Muna by name and today is my first day here. I'm so glad to have stumbled upon this and trust me, I can't just read other replies without at least sharing my opinion.

Well, it is true that "iron sharpens iron."
The way I read and the method I use while reading annoys certain people - those that hate reading.
When you see me reading, please don't make yourself neglected by me by trying to start up a conversation. I would not acknowledge your presence let alone talk with you. If what you want to discuss is important, write it on a paper and put it in front of me. That is when I get distracted.

Now, that is me. My answer is a big fat NO! I can't get intimate with a person who does not read. What do you expect me to do with all the crazy information and ideas I get from books I've read? It is better to remain single and talk to my diary than being in a relationship where your partner frowns at your enthusiasm for what you love - reading. Seriously, what do you want me to discuss with you? Just movies and reality shows? Please try the girl next door!
faceadventure
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faceadventure.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by faceadventure »

I think I could as long as they at least watch movies. I think that enjoying different stories adds to a persons character and personal growth.
haleygerstenberg
Currently Reading: Amusing ourselves to death
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haleygerstenberg.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by haleygerstenberg »

This is my life–we even went on to get married (!) It works because 1) just because he doesn't read doesn't mean he isn't mentally active; I married a pretty smart guy who stays on top of current events and keeps me updated, and 2) I, as the one with more free time, read lots of books and we talk about them. If he never wanted to talk or hear about books, then this would be a no-go, but as it is we balance each other out and have plenty to talk about

I do still buy him books though, in case he wants to have something to read... and then I read them lol

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”