Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
[Ac123+]
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by [Ac123+] »

Yes I could..some people just find that reading might be a little boring for them and prefer to watch ah movie or something...is what they prefer to do and we go against them..they just have to accept that you love to read books...days all
Heidi Finger
Favorite Book: The Expected One
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-finger.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Heidi Finger »

I could as long as that person has other hobbies, other sit still hobbies. My husband does not read books for pleasure but he does read sports articles daily. I always tell him he could be a sports caster or one of those radio hosts that make predictions about fantasy football. He also reads texts for his MBA he is working. All I need is someone who doesn't mind sitting by me while I dive into a book and get lost.
tanya shukla
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanya-shukla.html
Latest Review: Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

Post by tanya shukla »

I can date someone who doesnt read, infact I have dated men who never read. I guess its fine as long as I have my own time and space to read in any relkationship.
RavenQueen2018

Post by RavenQueen2018 »

I have. I've found that conversations are less intriguing though. I feel as though fellow avid readers, such as myself, seem to have a more vast vernacular and a more open mind. Wherein, discussions are less "right or wrong" minded and more "discovery and educational" minded. This of course is my perspective gleaned by my own personal experiences.
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

I think the question is, would I WANT to date someone who doesn't read? That's a definite no..
ostercl
Currently Reading: Horse Soldiers
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ostercl.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ostercl »

RavenQueen2018 wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 13:56 I have. I've found that conversations are less intriguing though. I feel as though fellow avid readers, such as myself, seem to have a more vast vernacular and a more open mind. Wherein, discussions are less "right or wrong" minded and more "discovery and educational" minded. This of course is my perspective gleaned by my own personal experiences.
Having an open mind is key - I have found very few people who do not read regularly that are open to more view points than just their own.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Good question. I believe that everyone has different interests so if my partner's interest isn't reading, I have to accept that. I wouldn't mind dating someone who doesn't want to read as long as they're not illiterate
Thebookstealer
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Thebookstealer »

I don't think I can, honestly. I'm such a book person that books and stories make up more that half of any conversations I have with people I relate with on a mental level.
I'd really love to date a person who reads because then we could discuss books we've both read and could even read books together! That said, right now I think I'll have a really hard time dating a person who just doesn't read.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Yes and No. It depends if this person does not read completely or can read something. I am sure that anyone who has gone to school cannot possibly say that they cannot read a book entirely. For me, there is also the Bible and this is where the real thing of not reading will come in. But it also good that a person will read to understand and be able to get something from the book not just reading for the sake of reading.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I guess dating a person who does not read books will be very hard for me, if not downright impossible. I have seen that I often judge people based on their reading habits. It never fails to elate me to make acquaintance with a fellow bookaholic, even if his/her reading preferences are different from mine. And if I find someone with similar choices, I can probably continue an entire conversation on books only. Dating someone would mean spending a considerable bit of time with him. If he does not read books, not only will it be hard to discuss books with him, but most of the time he will not probably be able to relate to what I am feeling, because often my emotions tend to change depending on the book I am reading. On the other hand, the idea of being able to share my favorite books, or works of my favorite author, or my favorite quotes with the person I like seems just wonderful.
tirzahhawkins
Currently Reading:

Post by tirzahhawkins »

We would have to have enough other things in common and I would have to have enough friends to talk about books with.
My husband loves when I read alloud in the car on long drives.
Angie Lola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-lola.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Angie Lola »

I once dated a guy who doesn't read as much or even at all and we ended up arguing over the fact that once i start on a book i want to finish it first before anything else, him claiming that i didn't give him enough attention because of the books i was always picking, but i'm a fast reader so i don't get what he was saying lol.

Now from that experience i now can't date someone who doesn't enjoy reading. Or maybe i can? :roll2:
nosa2

Post by nosa2 »

I dont think I can because that person would have a weak mindset and would not be able to grow mentally and she will be left behind in life generally and I wouldn't want that.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

Nope. Not a chance. There is no way I could date someone who doesn’t read.

My husband and I don’t read the same stuff but we both read. The important thing is that we read, expanding our minds in some way. That is what’s critical to me. We would be stagnant mentally without that stimulation.
gaygothcousin
Currently Reading: The Nearest Exit May Be Behind You
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaygothcousin.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by gaygothcousin »

Actually, the person I'm currently dating doesn't read.
They love stories and will listen to books, podcasts, watch shows or movies, but they won't read. They'll let me lay on their bed and read to them for hours on end until my voice gives out, but they won't pick up a book.
This is because they have dyslexia. They can read, it's possible, and they often do for class. However, they just can't get into a book because of years of being forced to read for classes. Too many years of struggling through, frankly bland, classics, turned them off of reading forever.

This just opens the door for me to read to them though, which is a favorite pastime of mine now. Often it's an exchange, a book in exchange for some old folktales and other oral traditions. We can still enjoy stories together, it's just more personal to us now. I'm almost glad they don't read. Not that their experiences were so bad, just that it opened a door for us to get closer together.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”