Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Pmoser
Currently Reading: The Colonels
Bookshelf Size: 16

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Pmoser »

I have been married to my wonderful wife for 17 years. She does not really enjoy reading, but she does understand that I love reading and that I am going to spend some of my free time with a book. My wife does enjoy crafting and sewing, and I have a reading corner in her craft room. So we do get an opportunity to spend time together even if we are doing different things. It works! Fortunately, my teenage daughter loves to read as well (we know who she takes after now), and we have spent several hours just sitting and reading together (even if we do read different genres).
pauljames_03
Currently Reading: The Prisoner and the Chaplain
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauljames-03.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by pauljames_03 »

Definitely. As a person who is into arts, I understand that literature is just a part of the whole. Therefore, if the person I would date is not into reading, I know that we could be in the same path regarding arts as a whole.
Polgesteirg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polgesteirg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Polgesteirg »

I've dated people who don't read in the past and I've noticed the stereotype of being unable to have a meaningful conversation with them is totally wrong. In fact, I had an eye-opening conversation with someone who hated books a few weeks ago. Reading books doesn't necessarily make you more informed/educated since there's trash literature everywhere, but some people are really damn wise even though they barely read anything. It just depends on who you are, I guess.

I'm pretty confident that a long-term relationship would be possible with a non-reader, since after all reading can be treated like another hobby. Partners have different interests and they don't necessarily have to affect the relationship.
Snrains13
Currently Reading: Animal Farm / 1984
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snrains13.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Snrains13 »

I have dated people who don't read, don't worry, it isn't as awful as it sounds. I live for reading, sometimes I sit down and read three novels in one day without doing anything else, literally just sitting and reading and finishing them back to back. Everyone has different hobbies is what I've found. I don't think I could date someone who doesn't appreciate the art of story-telling or reading, but if reading just isn't really something they do it's okay.
emmacwilliams
Currently Reading: Ashley Bell
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmacwilliams.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by emmacwilliams »

I'm married to someone who doesn't read! Annoyingly, his spelling, punctuation and grammar are outstanding and indeed he can write very well. He simply has absolutely no interest in fiction or stories. Occasionally I manage to push him into reading a non-fiction book, and he does own a Kindle (guess who bought him that?!) I have dozens of close friends who read and I get my fix talking about books with them - sometimes I will meet up with a particular friend for the express purpose of talking about books. I don't think that your partner has to be your sole source of common ground and stimulation - other people are important too!
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

I would definitely be able to go out with someone who doesn't read, as long as the person is intellectualy satisfying. I tend to get extremely bored over time if I can't connect with a person on an intellectual level. So, yes, I would, but this person would have to prove herself intellectually in other manners.
Mammacd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mammacd.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Mammacd »

My spouse does not read for leasure. We have been together for 15 years. Yes. It is annoying that I have no one to talk to at home about what's happening in my books and how it makes me feel, however the internet is a beautiful thing and I've managed to find many like minded friends. Often times I've read things that interest my other half, and he humors me when I'm telling him about it, but never does he read. He's AMAZING at making sure he buys me books. And so I love him anyways.
Bush baby
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bush baby »

My fiance reads, and has read, but he goes through spates of not reading.

I have been out with people that don't read and people that do.

What i have found, as my own experience, is that all the men in my life have had a fondness for particular types of books, generally non fiction, whereas I love on the whole most genres.

I like listening to what my man has read in the past, like he is retelling a story of a story to me, and I like that :techie-reference:
Rather than me desperately wanting to read what he has, I like listening to him what he has read. And vice versa, he does me too. :compta: :flags-wavegreatbritain:
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

Oh I would. I don't believe that partners must have everything in common.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.
charity_kinyanjui

Post by charity_kinyanjui »

Dating a non reader can be boring due to lack of common interest.
McFatter

Post by McFatter »

Well, I am married and my wife reads. That being said, if we were to take the question at face value "Could you date someone who doesn't read?" the answer is yes. But if we're speaking in more metaphorical terms akin to "should you be with someone that has fundamental differences with the things you enjoy most" then the answer, for me at least, is most certainly no.
See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

I prefer dating someone who is a reader like me, but if he is not, I don't think I should judge him just because of that. If he truly loves you, he'll share the same interest as you do, like becoming a reader too. But if he is still not interested in reading books, then as long as you share the same values, and respect each other's interests, then I think it will be fine. Either way, the only way to find out if it will work is to try.
1+Katherin
Favorite Book: Flight of Pegasus
Currently Reading: Alien in the Delta
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by 1+Katherin »

I noticed the dates on these entries are old but I decided to put my two cents worth in anyway.

To start with I think your question is very biased to begin with. I am a vivid reader but it isn't my only hobby/interest. And it's not the only way I connect with someone.

My husband and his mother aren't big readers due to reading/learning difficulties. My husband is also a long haul truck driver with little time to read. As a result he listens to audiobooks.

I read the actual books and my husband listens to them. The reason we don't have any discussions about books is we read totally different types of books.

Since we don't connect over our reading choices, we connect with other topics.

The way some of the other people responded made it sound like they had to be reading the same books to have a good relationship.

Even if my husband didn't listen to/read books, we still still have many other ways to communicate effectively. The fact that we will have been married for 30 years in 2019, I think makes my point.

The most important thing in life is being willing to keep learning, being open to new ideas and knowing you can learn/teach others without ever picking up a book.
Lipscombpc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lipscombpc.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Lipscombpc »

I could date someone who doesn’t enjoy reading. I could not date someone who would not be willing to let me talk to them about what I’m reading (because sometimes I just get so excited about a good plot) or who wouldn’t show interest in novel conversation.
Julie24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie24.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Julie24 »

Yes, I could date someone that was not a reader. Its the sole of the person I'm attracted to not their hobbies. As long as they have an imagination and a good heart that's all that matters to me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”