Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I have been married for a very long time to someone who is not much of a reader. He is very active and prefers to be up and moving all the time. He does read on the rare occasion that he finds a book that really appeals to him, but for the most part he is always moving. That being said, he understands that I love to read and supports that. He has his hobbies, and I have mine. He does listen when I tell him about a really great book I have read. It's worked out well for us, so I think it can be done.
bear_6743
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rheanna11.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by bear_6743 »

I feel like I could date someone who doesn't read mainly because I am surrounded by people who do not read. I am very much alone in the sense that I am a literary junkie and not too many people in my social circle or family read that often and when they do it is typically on subjects that I am not interested in. Although I would love to date someone who loves books and loves to read as much as I do, it might not be in the cards for me :D I feel like it could also be a challenge as well trying to date someone who does not read and then trying to get them into reading. It could be fun!
Butt3rfly23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Butt3rfly23 »

My significant other I'm not sure reads or doesn't but in my opion everyone doesn't read we all have our own hobbies but we should love our partner not for reading books or the things they do but because well I hope that people love their partner for who they are
aprenni
Currently Reading: The Casual Vacancy
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aprenni.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aprenni »

I am engaged to someone who doesn't read books. Before I met her, I always used to think that I could never be with someone who doesn't read, but having met her, I know that I could never be with anyone else. It works well; we both have our different hobbies. She'll watch TV or tinker around in the garage while I'm reading. When we go camping, I take a book to read and she goes fishing. She still will listen to me if I need to talk about a book or whatever, but the fact that I read and she doesn't is not a big deal in our relationship.
Shemee19

Post by Shemee19 »

I think dated someone who doesnt read is boring! I mean if you loved books and you read all of your spare time, if you date someone who doesnt read a single book you dont share the same interest as yours. Thats a complete boring
sweettea40

Post by sweettea40 »

Could I date someone who doesn't read?? I think I would encourage them to do so if they did not. Maybe they need to be reminded of how books take you into another world or dimension when they where they can get a break from reality for a little while. Maybe they have gotten busy with the cares of life and forgotten how it can be a stress breaker, if only for an hour or two if its a great book. It makes conversation a little more interesting if you have that one more thing in common. The diverse opinions on either side could produce some very hot get togethers.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

:D Not everyone loves reading. It's what I enjoy doing when I'm less occupied. Luckily for me though, dating someone that loves reading :D :techie-studyingbrown:
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Ab001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ab001.html
Latest Review: Unveil your Intimate Self by Elena Georgiadou

Post by Ab001 »

Yes,reading is a hobby,and not everybody possess that kind of hobby,so when she,s away for a little time I will get into reading to keep me company till she,s back.
mozamiller
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 82696">The Murder House</a>
Currently Reading: Golden Prey
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozamiller.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by mozamiller »

You know, I find this question so interesting. I actually dated someone who put on a very good facade. He was able to pretend like he was interested in everything I did and since we didn't live together he only had to keep it up for a few hours. This also included my love of books. When the bottom fell out of this story line and I figured out he wasn't interested in reading at all or becoming educated in anything whatsoever, I was highly disappointed. I didn't want to seem like a snob, but when my kids who were 11 and 7 at the time have a deep vocabulary than you and can hold an intellectual conversation for more than 5 minutes, hmmm.
lady-libro
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by lady-libro »

As a librarian, I am a voracious reader. However I have been happily married for 36 years to a man who only reads technical manuals. Our many other interests in common and his understanding of my needs lets our vibrant relationship float along. Example: I read quietly in the boat while he fishes. Quiet is essential in fishing and this way we can spend a nice day out on the water together. Message: be open to all the possibilities life offers - and don't be too judgemental.
PoisonWhiteRose
Currently Reading: Lion Heart
Bookshelf Size: 1967
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poisonwhiterose.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by PoisonWhiteRose »

I honestly don't think I could date someone who doesn't read. Reading is such a big part of my life. It often drives my conversations forward and for someone to not read or barely read anything just doesn't make sense. They dont have to love reading as much as I do. But they do have to at least the newspaper each week and maybe even a book a month.
"I spent my life folded between the pages of books.My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together.”
― Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me"

Raquel M.
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

I'd date a person even if they're not into reading - to each their own. They may have hobbies that I'm not into as well so it shouldn't be a big deal. It would be great if they did, though. That way we could discuss books we've read, give recommendations to each other, and consider reading together in silence a great (and inexpensive) date.
goldengal1315
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldengal1315.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by goldengal1315 »

Oh my gosh NO. I currently live with someone who doesn't. It was only supposed to be temporary until I worked out some financial difficulties ,but it has been longer than expected. She doesn't read, however she does chatter. It's amazing to me. How can you not read? Are you not interested in the world around you? Or okay maybe how about a favorite character to wonder about in a mystery? What would you do if the electricity is out?
Rojinrena
Favorite Book: On the Island (On the Island, #1)
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rojinrena.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rojinrena »

My husband doesn’t really read, so I guess the answer is yes. Although he writes so I think that makes up for it! Maybe one day we will write a review for his book.
grace8031
Currently Reading: Rats on the train
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace8031.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by grace8031 »

Reading is not a cup of for everyone just like many other things. My passion is not a must be his. In reality most men don't appreciate reading that much.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”