Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Molly May
Currently Reading: Professor P and the Jurassic Coast
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-molly-may.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Molly May »

If they didn't read books, that's totally understandable!
Sometimes books are less convenient and quite expensive so fair enough.

If they didn't read at all it would be a deal breaker!
Reading material comes in many forms, including articles, blogs, comics etc. I believe that reading keeps your mind active and can inspire you. Reading is pretty attractive as it can make someone seem more knowledgeable. It also suggests they are interested in other people's perspectives, which is a great quality to have. :tiphat:

However, I do not think I could cope with someone who read ALL THE TIME. You might not get much attention if your partner's constantly looking at a page. :techie-studyinggray:
What if they read in bed for so long that you just fall asleep...every night?
I do not think I am qualified for such a person.

Though it would make finding gifts so easy; books all year round!
jmcn17
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jmcn17 »

Thankfully, this isn't a problem for me as my better half enjoys reading just as much as I do. We have both loved reading since we were kids and have passed our love of books on to our child. I don't think that our relationship would really be any different if he didn't love to read as much as he does, though, as long as he supported my desire to dive into the pages of a good book.
briheartssn
Currently Reading: Long Black Veil
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briheartssn.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by briheartssn »

I have dated plenty of men who do not read. I wouldn't sit here and say the relationships were a bad one or not fulfilling. As long as he understands my passion for reading and writing then there should not be an issue. That being said, the last relationship I was in was with a man who read quite often. Even though we had quite the different taste in books, I truly enjoyed that relationship for the simple fact some of our favorite past times were visiting book stores together, discussing what we read. And mostly, I loved that for his birthday and Christmas, buying him a book he very much wanted made him the happiest over any other material things i could get him.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Peterhchurch
Favorite Author: Douglas E. Richards
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39423">The creacher from jeckle island</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterhchurch.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 18660

Post by Peterhchurch »

all the people i have dated and married (5 marriages) have been non-readers. this may well be the reason none lasted. fun for a while but no imagination to last the long stretch.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Lanz_00
Currently Reading: Strong Heart

Post by Lanz_00 »

:arrow: of course I can, because dating is not about reading, its about knowing each other. People learned to read its the same with learning in a different matter. In my own perspective. :D
gabbyparker5100
Currently Reading: Star Wars
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by gabbyparker5100 »

I think I could, but I would definitely prefer someone who does read!
Rameen Shahid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rameen-shahid.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Rameen Shahid »

well for me it is specifically some kind of reading that would attract me to someone. Not all kinds of readers. We all have some genres we love! And who wouldn't love to discuss their favorite books with someone.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Not really.... I enjoy reading so much and enjoy discussing books and literature. If someone did not read then what would I talk to them about when having general discussions!
shanmarkea
Currently Reading: a shrouded world 3
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by shanmarkea »

This was never a problem for me as long as they understood that I would always take time to read. I married someone who didn't read and now he does! He is in the military and I listened to years of him complaining about all my books and moving them all the time and now he adds to them. Our kids also love to read.
Sincerely
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sincerely.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sincerely »

Yes, i don't think it's a big issue plus i could get him to read
sammylamuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammylamuel.html
Latest Review: Unbalanced by Courtney Shepard

Post by sammylamuel »

No,most tend to think i live a boring life anyway!
ImogenPruthi

Post by ImogenPruthi »

It bothers me sometimes that my boyfriend doesn't read any books, even ones I know he'll like. But he still reads articles and things online so we always have plenty of interesting discussions. I guess even if reading is a big part of who you are, like it is for me, I don't think it's the most important thing in a relationship.
KatyJS
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 548">Black Privilege</a>
Currently Reading: 5 Habits of a Woman Who Doesn't Quit
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katyjs.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by KatyJS »

I am married to a non reader. He gets my book addiction.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Oh man, such a tricky question. It is easy for a young, unattached person declare "NO!" As a woman married 11 years to a non-reader, however, I can avow to the difficulty with holding to ones ideals.

I didn't know when we fell in love in college that he would soon grow bored of books and turn to his video games forever! I still love him more than life, but I am totally married to a non-reader. Non-readers do not necessarily make non-conversationalists though. He still talks to me about my books and makes an effort to share my interests. He can probably recite the plots to most of my favorite series.

For all those still looking for love, don't swear off a good partner just because they don't read. Opposites attract right?
nbspacegay
Currently Reading: Romeo and Juliet
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by nbspacegay »

I feel like probably yes, as long as they're willing to let me talk about books. Like, I feel like there's this whole thing where people who don't really read aren't seen as smart, and I don't think that's necessarily true. I know lots of really intelligent, engaging people who just think reading is boring because they don't get immersed like I do, or they don't have time, or the attention span, or any number of things really.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”