Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Barwaq
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barwaq.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Barwaq »

You could of course date with someone who does not read :tiphat: , but the best selection for readers is to date with people that read because this will have double advantage for all, the first advantage is your dating relationship advantage, and the second one is the reading enjoyment relationship between you and the person you are dating with. :lol:
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
momma182
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 901
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by momma182 »

I honestly thought I wouldn't be able to date a non-reader, until I met my husband. He doesn't read for pleasure, and hasn't actually read a book since high school. For me, it's not deal breaking because he searches out new information via documentaries, ted Talks and debate style opinion shoes.

He may not understand my love for reading, but he appreciated it and helps foster a love for it with our kids.

That's all I can ask for. :)
vixicountiss
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by vixicountiss »

I'm married to a wonderful man who chooses not to use his free time to read. This is okay with me because each person has something that brings them joy and I can't expect every person I encounter to have the same interests as myself. However, this goes without saying, he does respect reading and thinks that it's essential to society. Also, I want to note that him seeing me read frequently does have an effect on him. I even discuss reading topics with him and detail things out that he might not be familiar with. He recently told me that I have inspired him to create a library of his own and he wants to read the books I've suggested to him. So, yes, at the beginning of our relationship he didn't read much (he loves documentaries so our conversations were still engaging and interesting. He's not uneducated.), but now that he sees the joy that it brings me on a daily basis, he is also interested. I think it pays to have an open mind with people and be an example. However, I wouldn't think it necessary that someone read for me to date them (it is a plus though).
marieelise08
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marieelise08.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Post by marieelise08 »

I guess not, I am inclined to people who are witty, creative thinkers, smooth talkers, intelligent-someone who wouldn't bore me out. I guess those qualities are products of liking reading, or qualities of people who are fond of reading. So I'd rather be with a guy who reads all day than a person who sits in front of the TV. Plus if he is into reading we have something to argue about(of course ideas ideas ideas=opinions),haha. (that is adding some spice to our relationship).:D
Latest Review: "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley
Cassidyfairen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cassidyfairen »

I don't think so. It would be like dating someone who doesn't like breakfast foods. It will destroy our relationship eventually because of the importance it plays in my life.
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Amystl26 »

Hmm this is a great question! Since reading and books are such a big part of who I am (I'm a proofreader for goodness' sake!), it might be challenging to find similar topics to discuss. A lot of what my current boyfriend and I talk about is books. We recommend them to each other and discuss are own individual books. Aside from a means of conversation though-- we love going on reading dates :), exploring different coffeehouses, independent bookstores, and libraries. So, now that I'm actually writing this out, no, I do not see myself dating someone whom has no interest in the written word.
jennibabe31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennibabe31.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by jennibabe31 »

Reading is my hobby. I can't go a day without reading. I used to think that anyone I dated must love to read as much as I. That is until 4 years ago when I met my husband. He hated to sit and read,but he was content to sit and cuddle watching TV while I read. Miraculously, over time he started picking up books and reading. Now every night before bed, we have reading time together. I'm glad I gave things a chance, and it goes to show that sometimes people change. And even if they don't change, there are ways to still do what you love and enjoy each others company.
cozark38
Currently Reading: Life Before
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cozark38.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by cozark38 »

Not only could I, but I did date someone who does not read books. I am an avid reader and I like to dabble in my own writing for children, mostly rhyming and about nature. Now, 40 years later, I'm still married to that same man I dated way back when. He has never read a book in all the time I have known him, and he still wonders that I get so excited about some stories. He will read magazines and sometimes peruse a book, but it is not just his thing. I wish he did read, but there are other things in life to discuss. Imagination is something inside you and books just give you a much greater experience in reading. The people who don't read may miss out in my opinion, but that is not their thing. So, don't count someone out if they don't read books, they may have much more to offer and can be a book just waiting to be written. Now if they don't like tuna fish or tacos that is a much more serious thing. :lol:
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I am currently dating someone who doesn't read even though I thought I never could! It's still bizarre to me that someone could not enjoy reading but it doesn't interfere with our relationship.
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

RebeccasReading wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 10:42 I am currently dating someone who doesn't read even though I thought I never could! It's still bizarre to me that someone could not enjoy reading but it doesn't interfere with our relationship.
Same! I always thought I would need to be with someone who reads, or else we wouldn't have anything to talk about! But I've since realised that relationships are much more about personalities that match rather than specific interests people have. In fact, I know a lot of book-lovers and nerds like myself who do nothing but irritate me :lol:
shaylaa
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by shaylaa »

I don't believe I have ever dated a reader. Upon reflection of that, I realize there was, at times, a feeling of sorrow for not being able to share that love with another. But, it's not at the top of my list for requirements in a partner. I have heard others describe sitting for hours reading with a loved one. This does sound enchanting and beyond my scope of reality, but that's because it has never happened for me yet. There is always hope!
kastle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kastle.html
Latest Review: Going to Wings by Sandra Worsham

Post by kastle »

I think I probably could, as long as they are still aware and focused individuals.
Megisa
Currently Reading: How to Shop For Free
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megisa.html
Latest Review: Thriving in the Storm by Bill Murphy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Megisa »

No we won't have anything to talk about reading is learning. I like being with people that love to read and learn. We see our selves in the characters
Poet0113
Currently Reading: The Lightning Theif
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reading Device: B01LYLAALJ

Post by Poet0113 »

Yes, actually I'm engaged to a guy who doesn't read. He enjoys video games more so when we both need our personal time I read and he plays video games. We always enjoy sharing our passions with each other. I'll tell him all about a book I read and he'll tell me all about a game he played.
Catia
Favorite Book: Godsgrave
Currently Reading: The priest of blood
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catia.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Catia »

When I had a boyfriend for many years who didn't read at all. He was my best friend but I did miss talking to him about books and stories. In fact, it didn't work out for us.
My partner ist a reader and thought he prefers crimes and history books while I'm more into fantasy and horror, we like to tell each other about what we are reading and we are always on the lookout for books that might be interesting for each other.
Of course, for a good relationship you need more than sharing love for reading and books😉

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”