Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
StileBlue
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stileblue.html
Latest Review: "The Long Fall From Grace" by Craig Petree

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by StileBlue »

In my mind people who dont read are more likely to be shallow. So my first instinct is to say no, but i think there are many people who travel a lot,have a strong interest in art or movies but dont have the time to read as much as i do.If its someone who can hold her own in a conversation and a good person overall i could excuse this little negative point.
Latest Review: "The Long Fall From Grace" by Craig Petree
Belchman
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belchman.html

Post by Belchman »

I could never date someone who doesn't read. I actually had a chance to have a one night stand with someone, but she didn't have any books in her room so I left. I was thinking of that Andy Warhol quote that is something like: "If you go home with someone and they don't have any books, don't sleep with them." Very true.
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

Belchman wrote:... I actually had a chance to have a one night stand with someone, but she didn't have any books in her room so I left. I was thinking of that Andy Warhol quote that is something like: "If you go home with someone and they don't have any books, don't sleep with them." ...
If you were able to think about books at a time like that, she can't have been all that attractive anyway! :D
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

C0ldf1re wrote:
Belchman wrote:... I actually had a chance to have a one night stand with someone, but she didn't have any books in her room so I left. I was thinking of that Andy Warhol quote that is something like: "If you go home with someone and they don't have any books, don't sleep with them." ...
If you were able to think about books at a time like that, she can't have been all that attractive anyway! :D

That thought came to me too C0ldf1re, I don't think being a reader or not would be high on the checklist if you are contemplating a one night stand. But each to their own perhaps literary discussions are the highlight of some one night stands .... you never know. :lol: :lol:
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
carolsue

Post by carolsue »

Yes. If that had been a criteria I would still be a virgin, instead of celebrating my 34th anniversary. I don't think I even know any men who read. My husband does things that I don't participate in, and we have things we enjoy together. Everyone needs his own interests.

Carol
kfagan-14
Currently Reading: Darkness Falling
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfagan-14.html
Latest Review: "When Dragons Die" by Mark Franzosa

Post by kfagan-14 »

I managed to not only date, but fell in love and married and man who doesn't really read. He read some of the same books as me at some point in his life but it's just not how he likes to occupy his time. In his defense though he does at least give books a chance, my father bought him a copy of farenheit 451 and he read it. I couldn't ever judge a person by just one hobby or lack thereof. :)
Latest Review: "When Dragons Die" by Mark Franzosa
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

Date someone who doesn't read ? The only criteria I insist on is that they have a pulse :D I don't give a toss if they do'nt read at all.
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

Ant wrote:Date someone who doesn't read ? The only criteria I insist on is that they have a pulse :D I don't give a toss if they do'nt read at all.
:lol: It's the ones with the pulse who struggle too much! :lol:
8) The hedgehogs have eaten the breakfast. The rose has wilted. And I've put my trousers on. 8) -------------------- (See Post #1501)
michelet3005

Post by michelet3005 »

So my question to the people that say no they wouldn't date someone that doesn't read, where is your line?
I mean if you read the classics but your date prefers crime novels? Or your date disagrees with you and thinks that Emma is way better than Persuasion?
I'm only saying this because is it just someone must read or is it that the person must read the same style books as you.

Also I have to defend non-readers (not just because I'm married to one) just because they don't read doesn't make them ignorant and shallow. If anything my husband is a better person than I am (also because I'm a cow). My aunt also doesn't read. Both of these people would do absolutely anything for someone they cared about, yet I should take points off them for not picking up a novel as much as I do?

Just a thought, each to their own. Reading is obviously a big part in our lives but is it the only part?
Cupids_Psyche

Post by Cupids_Psyche »

michelet3005 wrote:So my question to the people that say no they wouldn't date someone that doesn't read, where is your line?
I mean if you read the classics but your date prefers crime novels? Or your date disagrees with you and thinks that Emma is way better than Persuasion?
I'm only saying this because is it just someone must read or is it that the person must read the same style books as you.

He would have to at least have 80% same reading habits as me otherwise what would we read in bed?
Kathe
Favorite Author: Not Sure
Favorite Book: Little Big by John Crowley
Currently Reading: Ghost Story by Peter Straub
fav_author_id: 9087

Post by Kathe »

I am dating someone who doesn't read, at least not on a regular basis.
He has read some novels here and there, but he spends most of his time writing.
One of his reasons for not reading is that he does want to be unduly influenced by another author.

I think assuming someone that doesn't read is shallow is a shallow assumption. Just my opinion. No offense was intended towards anyone. :)
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
michelet3005

Post by michelet3005 »

Kathe wrote: I think assuming someone that doesn't read is shallow is a shallow assumption. Just my opinion. No offense was intended towards anyone. :)
Totally agree with this!
C0ldf1re

Post by C0ldf1re »

Kathe wrote:... I think assuming someone that doesn't read is shallow is a shallow assumption. Just my opinion. No offense was intended towards anyone. :)
Oh, go ahead and offend the non-readers; there's none here. And offend their sympathizers too; there's few here! :D
michelet3005

Post by michelet3005 »

C0ldf1re wrote:
Kathe wrote:... I think assuming someone that doesn't read is shallow is a shallow assumption. Just my opinion. No offense was intended towards anyone. :)
Oh, go ahead and offend the non-readers; there's none here. And offend their sympathizers too; there's few here! :D
I'm confused. I believe she is defending non-readers and saying 'no offense' to the readers that are commenting against non-readers. As 'StileBlue' said that they are shallow in a previous post. I wouldn't call myself a 'sympathizer' to non-readers (just the word, maybe 'defender' is better :D ) but it's fairly ignorant to say all non-readers are shallow or any other general comment like that. Same as all readers are losers, not always the case.
Kathe
Favorite Author: Not Sure
Favorite Book: Little Big by John Crowley
Currently Reading: Ghost Story by Peter Straub
fav_author_id: 9087

Post by Kathe »

michelet3005 wrote:
C0ldf1re wrote:
I'm confused. I believe she is defending non-readers and saying 'no offense' to the readers that are commenting against non-readers. As 'StileBlue' said that they are shallow in a previous post. I wouldn't call myself a 'sympathizer' to non-readers (just the word, maybe 'defender' is better :D ) but it's fairly ignorant to say all non-readers are shallow or any other general comment like that. Same as all readers are losers, not always the case.
I apologize for any confusion my awkward sentence structure and wording caused. :D
Yes, I definitely was defending non-readers, as my boyfriend is basically a non-reader, and not shallow by any stretch of the imagination. On the other hand, I know a few people that are avid readers, and pretty shallow people.
I do think any person has the potential for depth, if you take the time to delve into who they are. Whether they read or not makes no difference. Can reading help a person to think? Well, yes, if what is being read is not shallow and the reader wants to analyze the themes and ideas that are presented. But that doesn't mean reading itself causes a person not be shallow.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”