Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
abfraw310
Currently Reading: Abandon
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abfraw310.html
Latest Review: Nekkid Lake by Noah Bond

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by abfraw310 »

I married a man who does not like to read. In fact, he loathes it. But, he has bought me several books throughout the years and he has read many of my blogs and short stories simply because they’re mine. I find that pretty charming and sweet. Besides, it’s too late to turn back time. We’ve been happily married for 13 years and together for 15 so loving someone who doesn’t love reading hasn’t been so bad. 🥰
Dartemis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by Dartemis »

I'm fine with dating someone who doesn't like to read. They could have an interest I'm not particularly fond of, but I'll be fine with it if they were fine with mine. As long as we both respect each other's hobbies and not make fun of them, who cares what the other likes to do in their free time.
big_mama_archie
Currently Reading: ...on your way home...Do This
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by big_mama_archie »

Of course...if they respect my time and need for reading. Different is cool ;)
AJ_Williams011
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aj-williams011.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by AJ_Williams011 »

Quite frankly, I don't really care if they read books or not. Because in the end, I know that I could be persuasive enough to convince them to pick up a book and read.
All those paper people living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm.
– Margo Roth Spiegelman in Paper Towns
77way
Favorite Book: Waterworks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by 77way »

May be could at the first time date with him, but at the next date I will give him positive impact of reading books, then what's the benefits you will take it? When he confused, doubt faced a problem, I think he must take a book to help give solution for him, ha ha ha :D
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 755
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Yes, because reading is only one part of my life. I have many friends who are readers, and I discuss books with them.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
kimoy13
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimoy13.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by kimoy13 »

I can date someone who doesn’t read because reading is very personal to me.

As a matter of fact, it is the one time that I am completely alone. I actually get annoyed if someone texts or calls me while I am reading.

I have friends who read and I discuss my new book finds with them. This is quite satisfying. :)

As such, although it would be nice if my partner shared my love of reading, it’s not a deal- breaker for me if he doesn’ t read. :)
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

I'm enticed by intelligence. Books are a great source of knowledge. I'm not sure I'd even fall in love with someone who doesn't read.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

kimoy13 wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 22:01 I can date someone who doesn’t read because reading is very personal to me.

As a matter of fact, it is the one time that I am completely alone. I actually get annoyed if someone texts or calls me while I am reading.

I have friends who read and I discuss my new book finds with them. This is quite satisfying. :)

As such, although it would be nice if my partner shared my love of reading, it’s not a deal- breaker for me if he doesn’ t read. :)
How about someone who isn't interested in listening to stories concerning books?
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

abfraw310 wrote: 05 Sep 2020, 14:27 I married a man who does not like to read. In fact, he loathes it. But, he has bought me several books throughout the years and he has read many of my blogs and short stories simply because they’re mine. I find that pretty charming and sweet. Besides, it’s too late to turn back time. We’ve been happily married for 13 years and together for 15 so loving someone who doesn’t love reading hasn’t been so bad. 🥰
Thinking of it in this perspective changes my negative opinion totally.
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

Yes, as long as she respected the reader that exists in me.
paigelambo10
Currently Reading: Open Book
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigelambo10.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by paigelambo10 »

Yes. My significant other does not read. Reading is one of my things and he has his things. He actually still shows interest in the things I read and will ask me about them. My dad also loves to read, but my mom does not. I could see how someone would want to be with someone who also enjoys books, but it has never caused a problem in any of my relationships.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

Well, there are some who read a book and there are others who write the book without reading it ever. I don't mind if my partner is not much of a reader, I am glad that he is a continuous learner. we still have so much to discuss.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

paigelambo10 wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 19:46 Yes. My significant other does not read. Reading is one of my things and he has his things. He actually still shows interest in the things I read and will ask me about them. My dad also loves to read, but my mom does not. I could see how someone would want to be with someone who also enjoys books, but it has never caused a problem in any of my relationships.
you have nicely put your thoughts, I also have a similar situation and understand another viewpoint as well
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Gladys Chris mburu
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gladys-chris-mburu.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gladys Chris mburu »

Yes of course i would date a person who does not read,why not?
We book nerds sometimes tend too ignore and snob people who don't read not knowing that each individual is different with likes and dislikes, just find something that you both enjoy doing together as a hobby as the qualities and character of an individual is paramount than just books.
However reading is the best thing to ever exist so if i find a reader its a plus to the relationship.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”