Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
CherlynArandia
Bookshelf Size: 3

Icon Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by CherlynArandia »

This is a very good question. Hmmm, I think yes. I could date someone who's not fond of reading. Upon reading the replies of others from here, I realized that indeed it's possible given the fact that the person has a large interest and hobbies. Something else that we can talk about during dates and whenever we're together. Overall, it still depends on the person's personality :wink2:
tooradtogetmad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tooradtogetmad.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by tooradtogetmad »

I think I probably could! They don't have to like it but, they would have to understand my love for reading. Otherwise it's just not gonna work.
Annamikov
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamikov.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Annamikov »

Honestly, I don't think so. I'm such a nerd - studying, reading and writing stories most of the times. I cannot date a person who doesn't want to share this joy of reading with me. Besides, who would rate my stories or poems then? Haha.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fergie
Currently Reading: Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by fergie »

Probably not, but it might depend what else he does. I couldn't date someone who didn't read and sat round watching reality TV all the time. But if he was, say, very sporty and out doing stuff all the time, or played music, or had some passion for something, I could probably let him off. Though I'd forever be trying to change him with the perfect book!
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
Johntom+1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Johntom+1 »

When I was 19, was dating a hot guy, discovered he couldn't read. Always wondered how he applied for a job! Now I'm much older, and consider illiterate folks to having a disability. They have other admirable qualities. So my answer is yes, look at the whole person!
tonysgirl0805
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonysgirl0805.html
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens

Post by tonysgirl0805 »

I honestly do not think I could get into a relationship with someone who does not read. The only reason is because I would fear he would eventually find me boring or vice versa and we would run out of things to talk about. We do not have to have the same book interest though.
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Ironically, this question is easily answered, but I feel completely easy to misunderstand. What do they read? Are there requirements to what they're reading for you to date them? Etc. I'm currently dating someone who I can say both reads and doesn't. He doesn't read books or anything I find really fascinating to read...which, admittedly, is saddening to me because I love talking about books and feel I never get the chance to where he is concerned. But he does read articles which give him a vast amount of knowledge in a large variety of subjects, though none fictional, and I feel in that sense I can't really say I'm dating someone who doesn't read. Merely, I'm dating someone who doesn't read what I read.
treestand
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-treestand.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by treestand »

Funny thing is, my first reaction is, NO!! But actually, yes. I am an avid reader and can usually be found lost in a book. My husband however, rarely ever reads. Unless it’s a car magazine or forum he’s interested in. It doesn’t bother me one bit. We have in depth conversations about daily events and topics, there’s no need to have literary discussions. So, yes, it works just fine for us!
sherif olabode
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 71

Post by sherif olabode »

Yes I can but when I do the reading all the time she needs to know and understand it's what I love after her if she knows I love her too.
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

I have been married twice. Neither time worked out but one of my husbands was an avid reader and the other had read only what was required of him in school. I bet you'll never guess which one I had the hardest time connecting to!
Tiff08
Currently Reading:

Post by Tiff08 »

I am currently dating someone who does not read for enjoyment like I do, but often only because he has to. This is a challenge when you're a book worm, and I'm sure many of you would agree with me, but I see it as an opportunity to educate him about the finer things in life: like good books. I am proud to say that he has read a book for enjoyment and even recommended it to me to get my opinion. It's a work in progress.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I did and there were no problems. Each of has has had their own hobbies (one of mine is reading, of course) and that was enough for us to understand each others interests and need for time in that aspect. Even if those hobbies weren't the same. Difference in your preferences does not necessarily break or make a relationship.
Amy_Jackson
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-jackson.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Amy_Jackson »

Hmm.. I would prefer dating someone who loves reading like I do, my best childhood friends were the ones who read voraciously like me. But if he doesn't read, well, as long as he has good character and other interesting things he loves doing, and he has no problems with me reading, then it's all good!
momoses

Post by momoses »

Honestly, I believe I could easily date someone who doesn't read. I'd probably prefer someone who could, mostly because it would give us a lot to talk about. I also connect a lot faster with people who have read similar books to me. But, that doesn't mean that is all I can connect with a person on. Maybe they watch a lot of T.V. shows and we bond on that, or maybe they really like photography so we share different pictures we have taken.
So, yes, I suppose I would date someone who doesn't read. There's so much to a person, I don't think it would even be something that crosses my mind.
Shannon72

Post by Shannon72 »

My boyfriend reads only hunting magazines, with the occasional WWII book thrown in. He is respectful of my reading though, and understands what it does for me. So, yup. I can definitely date a non reader.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”