Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
clairehelena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by clairehelena »

Probably not. I'm an English Publishing Studies major, so I literally want to read for a living. I think people who choose not to read are relatively close minded. There's a difference between having no time and just refusing to read.
akoth melisa
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by akoth melisa »

hahaha, this one sounds funny,
readers date readers.its becoming a norm for me.our language bank must be the same.
STOPEMAILS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alleycat393.html
Latest Review: Third Chances by Dan Petrosini

Post by STOPEMAILS »

My hubby to be doesn't read book but enjoys keeping up with the news and current affairs and has other hobbies including films. We have some shared interests but not all which makes things interesting and gives us a lot to talk about.
Aubrey Lewis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aubrey-lewis.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aubrey Lewis »

I don't think so. He might not be able to appreciate me reading all the time and we might have very little in common in the process.
Delioness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delioness.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by Delioness »

Reading is my hobby. If I'm to date someone who has a lackadaisical attitude towards reading, it basically means we have nothing to discuss, no opinions or view points to share. He may not appreciate the time I spend reading. Such a situation is already a major setback in the relationship, and I wouldn't want to date such a person.
Irishmom
Currently Reading: Heartaches 3
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irishmom.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Irishmom »

My husband of 25 years reads, but not as much as I do. He was not a reader at all when I met him, then, over the years, he started reading nonfiction. In the year since his open heart surgery, he has started reading instead of watching television at night. He is currently reading the Dark Tower series by Stephen King.
We have always had a lot of separate interests, but still a very successful relationship.
bigmisfit58
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by bigmisfit58 »

Many years ago several people were illiterate even my own great grandparents could not spell words such as names. Therefore leading to names like my great grandmother Bete meant to be named Betty but no one knew how to spell it. In this day and age you wouldn't think of anyone not being able to read but it does happen. I am married but if I weren't and I found someone who couldn't or wouldn't read and dated them and I would date them because the ability to read does not make the person in my opinion. In other words the inability to read does not mean they are not capable of being a very loving responsible person again just my opinion for I judge no one for the way they are it is not my job to do so. It is what is behind the man – that is, his character – that really matters.
YWait
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by YWait »

I've been married for 40 years. When we met, I didn't know, and didn't care, if my husband read anything more than the occasional Playboy magazine laying around his apartment (for the articles, of course). He became an avid reader about 5 years into the marriage. If I ever entered the dating scene again, I wouldn't look twice at someone who didn't like a good book, if only because it would keep him out of my hair when I had my nose in my own book and didn't want to be interrupted.
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

I currently am and at times it can be a headache. They don't understand the importance of reading. They also cant enjoy a conversation with you about any book.
Alex Foster
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex-foster.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Alex Foster »

I can't say it would be a deal breaker because I assume we would have other things in common. Being able to talk and share books with someone is awesome though.
princessERI
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 599">Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princesseri.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by princessERI »

After reading some comments, perhaps it is even possible to date someone who don't like reading.
What matters is communications between you two and there are other things you can share between each other. Though it may not be reading books.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I agree completely, princessERI! I'm currently dating someone who doesn't read regularly, and what's important is that we can have a discussion about things either of us is passionate about, regardless of if we share that passion. Usually, if I come upon a piece of media that's particularly engaging, I can get him to check it out regardless.
autuminniedawn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by autuminniedawn »

I don't think it would be a very successful or long relationship if my boyfriend didn't read. Knowing that your significant other reads even a remote percentage of what you do is a big relief. Being able to discuss them together can also help you see where each other's mindset is and how they think. How can you know what they are thinking if they haven't read something similar?
Aiemster
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Aiemster »

I am a reader and my husband isn’t. We work just fine. I grew up in a family of readers and he didn’t. I read every day, he doesn’t, I sit on the beach reading, he is online. You can have different interests and still make it work.
Pittbulgurl
Currently Reading: The Cat who Wasn't there
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Pittbulgurl »

I'm not really sure...I am pretty sure i would, its not like I would turn away love, companionship and a chance at true happiness just because he doesn't read books ( alot of people actualy dont have the time to sit and enjoy a good book)!
I could deal with it as long as he would listen to me talking about the book I am reading, if it's a really exciting one especially!!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”