Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I think that I just naturally wouldn't be attracted to someone who doesn't read. I wouldn't avoid them knowing that about them, but nature would weed them out for me. I have a feeling the types of people who don't read are those that I wouldn't find interesting anyway.
HGreenfield04
Currently Reading: Nerd Gone Wild
Bookshelf Size: 2122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hgreenfield04.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by HGreenfield04 »

I have been with my husband since 04 and he has read 1 book for fun in the entire time we have been together. The thing is, he listens to me when I get excited about a book even though it's not his cup of tea. Part of being in a relationship, for me, is putting in the effort to try to learn about what the other person is in to. For instance, I am not a huge fan of comic book movies and my husband is so I can tell you all kinds of things about the Marvel/DC universe that I never really cared to learn, but it made my husband happy. I can also guarantee my husband can tell you many things about various subjects he never really cared about all to make me happy.
shrekdot
Currently Reading: Deadly focous
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by shrekdot »

That's a big fat NO from me. Although our preferences are from totally opposite ends of the spectrum. I want to escape from reality and not learn more about it. My husband could read any big think how to or informational but wouldn't read any fiction and fiction is my port in a storm.
Quest+
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Quest+ »

Yeah I think I could but he'd have to understand that I absolutely love reading and hopefully he respects me enough not to come between me and my books
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I seriously doubt I could either. Books are so important to me and they're really my source of comfort and escape. However, if they say they don't like reading, they can always change with the right book. So, it would depend, but a strong preference for a reader.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

Ouch. Yeah, I don't think I could. I mean, if he doesn't read often, that's different. But if he's totally anti-reading, then no. I just can't. My stepdad acted like reading was a complete waste of time and threatened to burn my books. I couldn't see myself being with someone who would mock one of my passions like that. I know my mom wasn't happy, she's a voracious reader and I couldn't understand why she married him. It didn't work out.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by anwidmer »

bclayton13 wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 00:00 Ouch. Yeah, I don't think I could. I mean, if he doesn't read often, that's different. But if he's totally anti-reading, then no. I just can't. My stepdad acted like reading was a complete waste of time and threatened to burn my books. I couldn't see myself being with someone who would mock one of my passions like that. I know my mom wasn't happy, she's a voracious reader and I couldn't understand why she married him. It didn't work out.
Thats awful! Reading is fundamentally inportant besides being a cherished pastime. I could never date someone whom hates reading in that way either. My husband does not read unless he has to and does not care for it. He does however understand that i love it and would never get in between me and my books! Lol
bclayton13

Post by bclayton13 »

anwidmer wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 09:12
bclayton13 wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 00:00 Ouch. Yeah, I don't think I could. I mean, if he doesn't read often, that's different. But if he's totally anti-reading, then no. I just can't. My stepdad acted like reading was a complete waste of time and threatened to burn my books. I couldn't see myself being with someone who would mock one of my passions like that. I know my mom wasn't happy, she's a voracious reader and I couldn't understand why she married him. It didn't work out.
Thats awful! Reading is fundamentally inportant besides being a cherished pastime. I could never date someone whom hates reading in that way either. My husband does not read unless he has to and does not care for it. He does however understand that i love it and would never get in between me and my books! Lol
Yeah, that was a major point of contention. My mom didn't think it would matter, until it did. I realized he was really insecure about his intelligence so we was a huge jerk about it. Could barely read himself, so he felt like no one should be doing it.
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

bclayton13 wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 19:59
Yeah, that was a major point of contention. My mom didn't think it would matter, until it did. I realized he was really insecure about his intelligence so we was a huge jerk about it. Could barely read himself, so he felt like no one should be doing it.
Yea thats ignorant. My husband has trouble retaining as he reads which is why he chooses not to. But he would NEVER project thst on me thankfully. He does grip from time to time about being on my phone too much (if im using an ereader) but nothing critical.
bclayton13

Post by bclayton13 »

anwidmer wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 05:06
bclayton13 wrote: 24 Jun 2018, 19:59

Yea thats ignorant. My husband has trouble retaining as he reads which is why he chooses not to. But he would NEVER project thst on me thankfully. He does grip from time to time about being on my phone too much (if im using an ereader) but nothing critical.
Yeah, he was the definition of ignorant. And he was willfully so, he was so closed-minded. Anyone who projects their insecurities like that really shouldn't be in a relationship. My mom and I are very glad he's not in our lives anymore. The guy she's with loves that we read. He's not a big reader himself, but he's loaned me some cool books and he's always telling my mom how cool he thinks it is that she reads so fast.
anwidmer

Post by anwidmer »

Sounds like my husband, im glad for you guys to be rid of the other guy as well =)
lindsey_flagg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-flagg.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by lindsey_flagg »

I once dated someone who didn't read. Worst decision ever, as it turned out to be a good reflection of his character overall. Of course, I had another relationship with a guy who loved to read and was still a bad partner, so go figure. Even so, it was better for our relationship being able to share that understanding about the magic of reading and even to be able to discuss books and exchange suggestions for reading material. The other guy didn't even want to hear about books. I don't think I could do that again.
AWANDO OGUTU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awando-ogutu.html
Latest Review: Brand Real by Vasken Kalayjian

Post by AWANDO OGUTU »

Yes, I must admit reading is good and help me get crazy ideas. However, I don't need a lady who share the same traits as I am.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

I think I could probably date someone who doesn't read, but I would prefer to date someone who reads as much as I do so that I could discuss things that I've read and even some of the things that I've written.
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by timd »

I think it is emotionally and intellectually impossible to even relate, least of all, become emotionally involved with someone who does not read books. They will never understand the world of a reader and that makes meaningful communication with them impossible!
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”