Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Konstantinos A 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-konstantinos-a-2.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Konstantinos A 2 »

I wouldn't outright refuse dating someone who willingly doesn't read, but not being able to talk to my date/SO about a hobby of mine is a big turn off in general.
Tamara Abdellatif
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-abdellatif.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Thomas Alfie
Reading Device: B093JJWXSY

Post by Tamara Abdellatif »

funny story..
My current husband, when we first met, I asked him if he liked reading (after explaining my passion for reading, and hoarding books)
he answered, " oh! why yes, I like reading"
and before I could ask him further, on what genres he reads, or what was the last thing he read, we got interrupted.
When I first went to his place after 2 months of dating, I asked where his books were, and he said he doesn't like hoarding books like I do, and he had a couple old ones in a cupboard. I grilled him some more, and turns out he only ever read his school and college books!!!

he lied just to get me to like him more lol
and it worked!

We've been married 2 years, and have a kid <3
NanaELang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanaelang.html
Latest Review: Molly's New Pony, Sir Wallace McGee by David Casentini

Post by NanaELang »

Absolutely not. I need to be able to discuss books with my significant other, and while he doesn't have to like the exact same books as me, he needs to be a reader. I mean I talk about almost nothing else besides books so he must like reading to talk to me.
Malkia Esther
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malkia-esther.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Malkia Esther »

Yes I could. My opinion about love has nothing to do with reading, people have different hobbies. And reading is not even half of what I enjoy about life.
Asfiya Z
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asfiya-z.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Asfiya Z »

Considering that reading is a hobby, not everyone has the same hobbies right ? So I think I would date such a person but then he’d also have to understand that I enjoy reading and i would definitely read books in my spare time
Ra Ka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ra-ka.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Ra Ka »

Reading is a beautiful hobby, but not everyone likes it, so it does not matter if he does not want to read books, since there must be other common points between us.
Keith Pweedy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keith-pweedy.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Keith Pweedy »

Yes because reading not what determines the success of a relationship.
Nakanyike Deborah 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nakanyike-deborah-1.html
Latest Review: Tales of the Seventies by David Done

Post by Nakanyike Deborah 1 »

My boyfriend doesn't like reading but we still get along well. He respects my passion for reading and often asks me about the books I read even though he is not interested in reading them.
Little_Lotte
Currently Reading: Rimas
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-little-lotte.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Little_Lotte »

The answer is definitely no! First of all if I am only getting to know someone, there would be nothing to talk about and break the ice.

Secondly, I read every single day, it is not a habit, it is a need. Not having this passion with someone I'm dating would be dull and boring.

And lastly, I think intelligence is the new sexy. I want someone who I can admire and talk to, especially because my other interests are not at all mainstream.
carlottaschulz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlottaschulz.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by carlottaschulz »

I personally think don’t think a factor for me to decide against dating someone. I don’t see it as necessary that you share all your hobbies with your partner.
What I think is important that your partner accepts your reading, as I know people that consider reading a waste of time. Furthermore, if they are able to listen to me talk about books and there effect on me, then that gives the room for a working relationship
Selma Nieuwoudt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selma-nieuwoudt.html
Latest Review: Brutal Valour: The Tragedy of Isandlwana by James Mace

Post by Selma Nieuwoudt »

Reading a book is living a new world in the mind. Who would want to date someone who limits themselves to only the here and now?
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

To be honest, I am currently dating someone who doesn't care as much about reading like I do. I am comfortable with it as long as she doesn't disturb me while reading.
Ariel K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariel-k.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Ariel K »

I'm married to someone who prefers not to read. I've purchased a book about football for him and he reads it occasionally when he poops, but that's about it. I don't mind that he doesn't read, we still have Intellectual conversations on a daily basis and he always shows interest in what I'm reading. I don't love him any less because he prefers not to read.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I find it hard to believe that there is someone who does not read, as it mainly would depend on what they prefer. However, I could because they may have other hobbies that I do not enjoy as much as they do.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ingrid Sanchez
Currently Reading: Ines Del Alma Mia
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ingrid-sanchez.html
Latest Review: Butterfly Awakens by Meg Nocero
Reading Device: B08L6YSCDF

Post by Ingrid Sanchez »

I don't think I could. I would never be able to establish a spiritual connection with someone who doesn't have a spiritual connection with books. It just wouldn't work... I don't mean to underestimate or discriminate against people who don't read. Everybody deserves the same respect...but I would not engage in a romantic relationship with them. The same I wouldn't date someone who doesn't respect nature, animals, or has unhealthy habits. Not reading is definitively an unhealthy habit for the avid mind (personal opinion).

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”