Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re:

Post by elivia05 »

lapowers wrote: 10 Jan 2007, 07:27 Reading for me is a hobby that I love to endulge. Not everyone has a passion for reading nor the patience. For me, I truly enjoy getting lost in the pages of a good book. You could also expand the question forward to apply to readers: Could I date someone who did not enjoy the same books as I do?

Hopefully a reader and non reader can exist in this world and perhaps the reader, being excited about a wonderful book can turn a non reader onto something new.
My boyfriend and I are getting married in two months, and he is not a reader. We can absolutely exist in this world together. There is hope!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Reader, I marred him! My husband is many things but I am the one who reads in our relationship. He is the audiovisual director and introduces me to a world of music. Twenty something years later it is working just fine! 😁
Kirbylini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirbylini.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Kirbylini »

It's not fun dating yourself, so I could manage. But they'd have to have some real good other qualities to make up for it.
JazmynElizabeth
Favorite Author: Martina Cole
Currently Reading: If I Should Die
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmynelizabeth.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
fav_author_id: 10914

Post by JazmynElizabeth »

Of course. I love to read, but whether or not someone is passionate about my hobbies is irrelevant to the chemistry I can have with someone.
I would never date someone who COULDN'T read, because even if it wasn't their fault I couldn't be with someone unintelligent.
But as long as they're clever I don't care if they read or if they get their intellectual stimuli from documentaries or political debates. As long as we can have conversations about things more important than Love Island.
Who needs friends when you can have daddy issues and a huge home library?
selena0698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by selena0698 »

It's an interesting question. For me, I maybe accept, but he has to understand mẹ. If not, I think I don't accept it.
Chaely
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chaely »

I can't date anyone who doesn't read, we have nothing to discuss, conversations get boring... I love to learn always and a person who doesn't read has nothing new to say to me....
Msjamie
Currently Reading:

Post by Msjamie »

I’m ok with being with someone who doesn’t like to read. As long as they don’t ridicule me for loving to read I see no issues.
Moonlight91
Currently Reading: Serial K Returns
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Moonlight91 »

Hm, my partner doesn't read that much anymore. But I guess that is because he HAS to read during the day for his job.
But he has a nice book collection and I know, when he feels like it he will read a bit again.

It would feel weird dating somebody who doesn't read at all I think. :roll: Reading stimulates your mind in a way a movies can not - in my opinion. Therefore people who read a lot of books are more likely to be of the same mindset as me.

:techie-studyinggray:

Who am I to talk - I should probably read more. :lol:
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I actually do date a person that doesn't read. We've been together for 6 years and in that time he has never read a book. It really doesn't bother me at all. He has his things that he is passionate about and I have mine. I like the fact that we like different things so that we have plenty of different topics to talk about. Also, he knows that I like to read so while he plays video games I will read. We both have our hobbies that we like and I think that makes us a stronger couple.
eezus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by eezus »

I've been dating my husband for almost ten years and married for one year. He NEVER read. After being married and living together, he started to be interested in reading so he can learn in specific topics like business and stocks. He enjoys reading novels about action :) So yes, dating someone who don't read can make him/her interested in reading someday! Don't push, just mention what you're reading or reading in front of your date.
Paigeclosson
Currently Reading:

Post by Paigeclosson »

I would like to think I could, but I love having a man in my life who understands why I want to curl up all day on the couch or in bed and read. Espcially someone who does it with me. It sounds cheesy, but it's the perfect date for when you don't want to socialize with each other. I find myself playing footsies with him when we read together, and sometimes he laughs at me if I make a face when I react to something I read. It's a good time.
Eclectic_novels
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclectic-novels.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Eclectic_novels »

I believe it would be very difficult to be in a relationship with someone who choses not to read. Communication is such a big part of a relationship and for me being able to share my love for books or just discussing that topic with someone not interested would be difficult. Mind you, one topic should not define a relationship, but you have to really assess what your interests are and how they intersect with that special someone.
B00Radley
Currently Reading: Serpents in the Cold
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by B00Radley »

Never. I am too wedded to reading. Have let the kinds of books prospective dates read affect whether i pursued them....or not.
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html

Post by anwidmer »

Yes, and i actually do. What i could not do is date someone who gets jealous that i spend most of my free time engrossed in a good book. Luckily my husband knows how much i love reading and doesnt mind that i sometimes tend to neglect him when i just cant seem to put one down lol
anwidmer
Favorite Book: The knowing
Currently Reading: The Awakening
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anwidmer.html

Post by anwidmer »

Eclectic_novels wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 23:13 I believe it would be very difficult to be in a relationship with someone who choses not to read. Communication is such a big part of a relationship and for me being able to share my love for books or just discussing that topic with someone not interested would be difficult. Mind you, one topic should not define a relationship, but you have to really assess what your interests are and how they intersect with that special someone.
I agree with this however for my situation it works. My husbands cant stand to read unless he has to. He has no problem though asking me what my book is about and listening to me talk or complain about them depending on what im reading. So in short for us its not a deal breaker

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”