Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Miracle_Tessy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-tessy.html
Latest Review: Street Sweeper by Paul Drewitt

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Miracle_Tessy »

I don't think I'll be happy dating someone who doesn't read.

The reason I say so is that after a while we won't have what to talk about, and he might find me strange talking about books, books and books.
That's why I'm glad I married a lover of books. He writes and read and I couldn't have asked for a better partner.
Caleb Fx
Favorite Author: Dave Gordon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caleb-fx.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
fav_author_id: 217569

Post by Caleb Fx »

For me, I can as we love each other and she has other forms of self improvement.
nothandodk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nothandodk »

That would be hard. I don't think I would though. Reading has a way of opening you up to new experiences and I would enjoy discussing those with my partner.
Natalia Nazeem
Favorite Book: The Amulet of Samarkand
Currently Reading: We are Volhuire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalia-nazeem.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Natalia Nazeem »

Honestly, I can see myself being with someone who doesn't read as much - provided they're still okay with me wanting to rant/discuss/praise the books that I read. I think what makes a successful relationship is being able to listen to each other and enjoy each other's company, even if the two people have different hobbies. As long as I have some friends or groups to talk about books with, then I think it'll be fine. In the same vein, my friend is not interested in sports at all, but she has been with someone who was very interested in sports. It worked because the two of them were active listeners, which meant that she enjoyed his company, and he had friend groups to play with and talk about sports with as well.
scaredsangel
Currently Reading: We Drank Wine
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by scaredsangel »

I could, but I'd totally rather have the love for books in common with a partner. As long as the person doesn't judge me and lets me do my thing... I guess we're good.
Apeksha Pant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Apeksha Pant »

I could , but they should support by reading habit and not discount me from persuing it
Laksha Maria Charbel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laksha-maria-charbel.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Reading Device: B08KKD61CM

Post by Laksha Maria Charbel »

:wine: I thought I couldn't until I married someone who hasn't finished a single book in his life. I have to read my blog posts out to him because they are "too long." I do wish I could chat with him about the journeys I go on when I read. Luckily, I have you guys to do that with.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

My husband is a non reader, but that is because he is extremely dyslexic. His IQ is extremely high, and so we always find something to talk about. He listens to my book ramblings, and I listen to him when he talks about his interests. It's give and take. Balance.
Dunstan Brooks
Favorite Author: Langston Hughes
Favorite Book: The Ways of White Folks
Currently Reading: The Measure of a Man
Bookshelf Size: 798
fav_author_id: 2732

Post by Dunstan Brooks »

Sure I could! I married her. She only reads if she has to learn something specific for her job. She prefers to watch documentaries on TV.
Farheen Lanewala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Farheen Lanewala »

yes of course. Reading is that hobby for me that if I don't read for few days, I feel like something is missing but that doesn't mean that my partner should be a reader as well. I just want him to understand my love for reading and give me my space and time to read.

to be true I am getting married to a non reader. He has tried to read like so many times but has failed miserably. One thing I love about him is that he happily asks me about my books and the story and listens to everything I have to say about the books, that is what I feel is more important. Else recommendations and discussion can always be done with your reader friends.
Pocoyo
Favorite Book: Heroes of Atlantis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pocoyo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Breaks The Ice by AC Michael

Post by Pocoyo »

I think I could because I don't expect the person I'm with the share the same interests as me, as long as they reciprocate that and respect what I like to do.
Cindy Dee
Currently Reading: The Trafficking Murders
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindy-dee.html
Latest Review: The Inmate by Alan P. Woodruff

Post by Cindy Dee »

Laksha Maria Charbel wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 23:16 :wine: I thought I couldn't until I married someone who hasn't finished a single book in his life. I have to read my blog posts out to him because they are "too long." I do wish I could chat with him about the journeys I go on when I read. Luckily, I have you guys to do that with.
This! I always told myself I couldnt imagine being with someone who doesn't share my love of books, but my current partner of 5 years does not read and it doesn't bother me even remotely! He has read some books and when we first started dating he would read Charlotte's Web out loud to me, so I guess that softened me :lol:
I sometimes wish we could share the joy of reading the same thing, or discuss novels or like you said, the adventures and magic a book can give you, but in the end it wasn't so bad. But, i think i'd really be hurt if my future child didn't like books haha
Urvashi Tripathi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-urvashi-tripathi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Urvashi Tripathi »

I don't think so I would be happy with someone who don't like reading , as I can talk about books for whole day. And I noticed too that , the one who don't like reading makes fun of the one who does , simply by saying movies are better than books and it made me angry, always lol. If I get chance I'll definitely date someone who loves books just like me. There would be never ending topics for us. And I think so sharing same hobby would be fun. :oops:
Grace McHardy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-mchardy.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Grace McHardy »

My love is not contingent on whether I and my significant other share our love of reading or not. I can live without that connection if he is interested in listening to me explain the book to him.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

Why not? But they have to at least have an interest in stories though.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”