Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by IsabelMay »

I wouldn't mind, as long as they don't complain about me reading all the time and spending money on books. We all have different interests, but yes, it would be lovely to have someone to discuss books with.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Yes i would. I believe we will still have a lot to talk about including me talking about what i have read. Who knows, they might just start reading.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I don't even have many friends who aren't bookworms so I doubt that I could become romantically involved with someone like that. If nothing else, they would probably get tired of me trying to push books on them all the time and I'd get annoyed if they insisted on never or almost never reading. It would also indicate to me that they lack imagination and/or don't have an open mind, either of which I can't really deal with for too long.
JanieReads
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiereads.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by JanieReads »

My husband and I have been together since we were 16, (9years now) and he has only ever read one book beginning to end! And that's including the assigned books we had in high school, he never finished those. We get along fabulously! He listens really well when I'm venting about a book that's not going the way I want it too, the books that I just love, and the ones that take a really weird turn! I'm constantly reading and he picks fun at me but I think he secretly likes it because he can watch whatever he wants on tv when I'm reading!
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

I feel like I could. Perhaps reading just isn't one of their interests, or maybe they're too busy. For me personally, as long as they are nice and sincere, then I'm happy to date someone who might not even have a brain, for all I care. A sense of morality is always important, since it reminds me so much of the characters I've read about, as well as the fairytales I keep listening to over and over again. Cooking also helps, considering I burn everything I touch.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
danheiser
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by danheiser »

I know I could, only reason being is although they may not like reading they could see the film of what I am reading and be relatively on the same page as I. But reading or not reading doesn't crush my chance of a relationship.
Joanna82
Currently Reading: The Spy
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Joanna82 »

Before I married my husband, I knew he liked to read when we started dating, so that was a plus.
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

yes i could. Its not a deal breaker for me, though if he did read it would be an added bonus

-- 24 Jun 2017, 12:25 --

yes i could. Its not a deal breaker for me, though if he did read it would be an added bonus

-- 24 Jun 2017, 12:33 --

Reading is not a deal breaker for me. I would date someone who's not into reading, as long as he can think and come up with intelligent responses to my questions or discussions then we're good to go
NikkyT
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyt.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by NikkyT »

My husband actually doesn't read, he understands my book OCD though and respects that reading is my favourite thing to do and tries not to interrupt me etc. He loves to do things that I have no interest in too. I think sometimes in a relationship it's good to have different interests as long as you both respect that.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Jaycoblane
Currently Reading: The Glass Castle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jaycoblane »

I could date someone who doesn't read, but there's absolutely no way I could date someone who HATES reading. I've stopped talking to some romantic interests for that reason.
MephXV
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mephxv.html
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson

Post by MephXV »

It wouldn't be a deal breaker, but it definitely would limit what I could talk about with the other person. If she shares some of my other interests, it wouldn't be as bad.
Latest Review: "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

This question makes me smile. I mean, why not? But my head is shouting "NO WAY." I even build friendships through books so i guess i can't date someone that i can't talk about a cliffhanger ending or a nostalgic one. There's no way i would put up with someone who haven't read my favorite books. Haha. I'm kinda selfish.
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by SilviaP21 »

My husband doesn't like to read and I am perfectly fine with that. This is just a minor flaw compared to millions of qualities and reasons to love him
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Ivan L
Currently Reading: Wrath
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-l.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00OTWPS52

Post by Ivan L »

I could. Most of the people I've dated have been like that. However, I make sure they know I love reading and that I may get them into it too. They know I will talk about books often and discuss the plot, characters, or other things related to the books.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
BEliseH
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2509">Silk & Lace Series</a>
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades Freed
Bookshelf Size: 52

Post by BEliseH »

I married someone who doesn't read. It's ok to have different interests than your spouse. It you were exactly alike, life would be boring. I love to read and write and my husband fully supports my interests and I support his.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”