Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Hops2
Currently Reading: The Blue View
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Hops2 »

No I definitely wouldn't marry someone who doesn't read. I believe most of the things that will help our marriage are written down in a book or some article. So we have to both read.
BiancaS91
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BiancaS91 »

Oh! What a fun question. This one really got me thinking. To be honest, my husband hates reading. The only thing he has ever read was his university textbooks. I love to read. I devour book after book. We have been together for 11 years and I actually prefer it that way. I get to talk and tell him many stories and he gets to listen and give his opinion. Bottom line....he uses his brain, so that is fine with me. :-)
Crissyj1
Currently Reading: Atonement Camp for Unrepentant Homophobes
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Crissyj1 »

𝕀 𝕔𝕠𝕦𝕝𝕕 𝕟𝕠𝕥 𝕕𝕒𝕥𝕖 𝕤𝕠𝕞𝕖𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕨𝕙𝕠 𝕕𝕚𝕕𝕟𝕥 𝕝𝕚𝕜𝕖 𝕥𝕠 𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕕! 𝕋𝕙𝕣𝕖𝕖 𝕣𝕖𝕤𝕠𝕟𝕤 𝕨𝕙𝕪? 𝕗𝕚𝕣𝕤𝕥, 𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕕𝕚𝕟𝕘 𝕚𝕤 𝕗𝕦𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕞𝕖𝕟𝕥𝕒𝕝,𝕜𝕟𝕠𝕨𝕝𝕖𝕘𝕖 𝕚𝕤 𝕡𝕠𝕨𝕖𝕣! 𝕝𝕒𝕤𝕥 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕛𝕤 𝕗𝕝𝕒𝕥 𝕠𝕥 𝕝𝕒𝕫𝕪 𝕥𝕠 𝕞𝕖! ✧
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t be a problem. 
I really enjoy reading and having someone to talk to on this topic would be cool, but not absolutely necessary. Most of my friends don’t read and I still get along with them. 
Jane Eyre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-eyre.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jane Eyre »

I don't think I would mind much but they cannot just be not interested in gaining knowledge or just not be passionate about anything. I know this sounds farfetched and all but I know people who are just existing for the sake of existence.
TheEnglishReader
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theenglishreader.html
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN
Reading Device: B07L5K4TG3

Post by TheEnglishReader »

My partner loves reading but rarely does. This doesn't bother me because we have a routine where he will play video games and I will plug myself in with my headphones and listen to some calming classical music while i read in the living room sitting next to him. He also likes to talk about the books Ive read and my opinions and thoughts on them while I'm reading, even though he hasn't read the book. It works for us and I wouldn't want it any other way!
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

I am a very open-minded person. I believe that if your partner sees you doing certain things, they pick up on several of those themselves. Why do I believe this? My husband was not much of a reader until he saw me reading a lot. Now, he’s asking for books for his birthdays and holidays.

On the other hand, for people who do not read in general, I would still be open-minded. Some people learn by doing and sometimes, those people are the most knowledgeable. Not every life lesson is learned through reading. Everyone is different and that is okay.
Magidi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magidi.html
Latest Review: Let's Help You Self-Help! by Anthony Jacob Braaten

Post by Magidi »

I think I would with the expectation that the person at least is educated and educates themselves indifferent ways like podcasts etc. :D
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

It's honestly not a priority. It would be lovely to talk to my partner about books, and I've always thought about it. But even those I dated before who don't read, still listened to me when I talked about books.
However, if my partner did read, I would love going on library dates <3
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Joy C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-c.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Joy C »

I can. I just love to read and I know that not everyone loves to read let alone, reading for fun. So, as long as the person understands this and wouldn't stop me from doing so, it shouldn't be a problem.
Begin always with the end in mind. :techie-studyingbrown:
Samjang5050
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Samjang5050 »

Scott wrote: 09 Jan 2007, 15:00 Could you date someone who doesn't read? I don't mean someone who can't read, but someone who chooses to read almost nothing, and who almost never reads a book. Could you get into a romantic relationship with such a person?

I doubt that I could. I could never get emotionally close to a person who doesn't read books, mainly because we could never discuss a specific book, and the person would never be able to take any of my recommendations let alone make any recommendations of their own to me.

(This is nothing that's happening to me right now, just a random hypothetical that I've been pondering when I can't sleep at night and such. :wink: )

I absolutely understand you, I cannot see myself dating someone who hasn’t considered reading a book or does not enjoy reading a good book. However preference-wise, I am a kind of person who would love to share my love of reading to someone I like, therefore if they understand or at least sympathize with that side of me, I think that it would be alright. I think what matters is that you would date someone who you have a connection with, may it be from books or just emotions.
Michele H
Favorite Book: Frozen Harvest
Currently Reading: A Siblings Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michele-h.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michele H »

My boyfriend and I have currently been together for 13 1/2 years. I am an avid reader and usually have 1 to 2, sometimes three books going at once. It’s funny, he reads, but does not read the types of books that I do. He prefers to read business oriented books, self-help books or magazine articles. This is totally opposite of me. I like to drown myself in a good non-fiction novel and read for relaxation. I’m always amazed that he can read business type books and or self-help books at night before bed. I would never be able to sleep. :shock2:
Iris Marsh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iris-marsh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Iris Marsh »

Interesting question. My partner actually hates reading. I think this is mostly because he's dyslectic, and they didn't have all the help they have nowadays, so he just has a negative experience with it. The only thing he reads occasionally is online articles about subjects that interest him. I don't mind; I do talk to him about books I've read, especially if I really loved it, and we have more than enough other things in common. I think that's probably the main thing: as long as you have other things you can do together, it doesn't matter much if they don't like reading. I don't think we have to enjoy everything that our partner enjoys and vice versa :)
Avaruusorava
Currently Reading: The Will of the Wanderer
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avaruusorava.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Avaruusorava »

I have dated people who have not read any books, but I must say that after I started again dating a man who reads, I realized how much I have missed having intellectual conversations about books.
CornishPixie
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornishpixie.html
Latest Review: Blanket Immunity by Adam Van Susteren

Post by CornishPixie »

My partner does enjoy reading but forgets he does a lot of the time. What this does mean though is I can discuss my books and the thoughts I have on these books with him and he contributes, even if he has not read the book. This works for us really well. I often find he is actually interested in what I am reading and asks questions on a regular basis.

If I wasn't with my partner I don't think I could date someone who hated reading as it is such an important part of my life.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”