Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Nanig83006 »

I married someone who doesn't read. :lol2: :lol2: It's going well as I don't have to worry about sharing books with him or if they'll be ruined or lost. It can be annoying as he tends to talk to me when I'm deep in a novel. Maybe I should put up a sign. Oh, wait... :roll:
AlicinWelsh
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicinwelsh.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by AlicinWelsh »

I could. I read for pleasure and I wouldn't expect my partner to do everything I do or like everything I like. He should have his own hobbies. Now, if he interferes with my ability to read, then its over.
Sue Mulligan
Currently Reading: Troublemaker
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-mulligan.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Sue Mulligan »

I married someone who doesn't read for pleasure because of a disability, but he lets me read for hours on end when I'm into a good book. And occasionally, he likes to listen to books on tape. That's all that matters to me.
Biigggg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Biigggg »

I think l could not date someone who doesn't read, l think that reading has became a part of my life, so dating someone who does not read will be hard
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

When I was younger, I had an ideal person who I'd get married to, and that ideal person loved reading. I think that as I got older, I realized the differences in the people I dated are what made them interesting as a person. I'm now married to a man who doesn't really read. He occasionally wants to pick up a book here and there, but it's a rare enough thing that it's not something that's part of his persona. But it's not a deal breaker, it's not something I totally mind. He'll listen to my ramblings about the books that I read, though! Communication is always key!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Kierach
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Kierach »

My Partner has only read one book: Mice and Men, and he raves about it and the fact I haven't read it.
I never have to worry about my books going missing, and no one to judge me for dog-earing the pages
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Not a problem. I have enough reading for the both of us. Haha. Seriously, as long as the person does not nag me about my reading, I am happy already.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Post by Amanda Nixon »

I think I could! Although I'd much refer it if they did so that we could discuss books and recommend them to each other
morenikeji100
Currently Reading: Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by morenikeji100 »

No I can't, why because reading encompasses many Field, it can be reading about religious book,social book, educational books, Novel etc. Believe me or not, if your are in a relationship with a person who doesn't like reading, the relationship can't last, there will always be clash, why? Because, your level of thinking is higher than his, You can never understand each other. So I can't marry a person that doesn't like reading.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

I also don't think I can date someone who doesn't read. I can date someone who doesn't read the same type of books but someone who doesn't read at all feels too different from me.
Makena Mugendi
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makena-mugendi.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Makena Mugendi »

I could if he watched movies. I respect differences, I may not like them and it may not be ideal but I would.
It all depends on if I feel the compromise is worth it.
Stahnni
Currently Reading: Out of Time
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Stahnni »

Of course. Not everyone has the capacity to read or the patience to get through a book. That does not make them any less human. Surely, there are still a great many interests other than reading.
Aishat Rabiu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishat-rabiu.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Aishat Rabiu »

I guess it would be fun to date someone who reads as much as I do or more, but I think it'll be more interesting to date someone who would open me to something entirely different from my daily routine and at the same time doesn't hinder me from reading. As long as he is reasonable and a critical thinker, he'd catch up with any conversation on books that I raise if I provide him with a little detail. He doesnt have to do everything I do for us to live an awesome life.
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

I am dating someone who doesn't read books.
As long as he doesn't stop me reading, it's all good. Bit like how he plays his video games which I don't do. I don't stop him same as he won't stop me reading.
Asen Stoyanchev
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading: Sigrfried's Smelly Socks
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asen-stoyanchev.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Asen Stoyanchev »

The point of a healthy relationship is to respect and love the other person's differences. There are no two alike human beings.
“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”
― Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”