Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Olagboye Sam
Currently Reading: The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S. Sparks
Bookshelf Size: 11

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Olagboye Sam »

I will date yeah. I will try to convince her to read a book with me and then discuss the theme together but the first book will be about romantic book. I think that will work for her to start reading books.
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

Personally, I don't think I could manage it. I am an avid reader, and I often like to talk to my friends and family about various books I have read, as well as if I recommend that book to them or not, based on their reading interests. If I were in a relationship with someone that doesn't like to read, I wouldn't be able to have those conversations with them. I honestly think that it would make me start to read less, because it's not something that I have in common with that person.
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

I'm married to a guy that reads seldom but doesn't mind my reading. Sometimes I've read to him and it was a pretty good conversation afterwards. We can be in the same room and he's watching television and I'm listening to an audiobook.

I don't think it matters if your mate reads or not. It's the chemistry, understanding and respect for the others personal space that matters.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

I think it depends- my partner doesn't like reading, but he does like listening to audio books! (Alas, he usually listens to non fiction). I've dated a few people who didn't read at all though luckily our interests intersected elsewhere, and I've dated people who were heavily into reading, which was great for when I felt like something different!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I married someone who very seldom reads a book - like maybe one a year. He is a teacher but reading is just not his thing. We have other interests we share and I have friends who fill the literary gap. It works.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I think it's okay even if he doesn't read. Of course I'll always prefer book lovers, but we can't always get what we want. Well, as long as he doesn't mind me reading and collecting books/ebooks that's fine. Besides, similar hobbies does not guarantee a successful relationship. It's how we accept each other, and the things each other likes or dislikes.
6912dirtyfeet
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by 6912dirtyfeet »

Yes I could date someone who does not read simply because they might have something I don't like to do and that would be what we do together but not togehter. While he does his thing I can read and neither one of us gets mad or bored.
BethOLee
Currently Reading: Burn Bright
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by BethOLee »

I think is would be hard to date a non reader unless they could respect the selfish hobby of a reader. But I think it would be like respecting the excitement a sports fan when I do not share the excitement.

As readers, we would want to share the excitement or emotional response to a book but we could do that with other book lovers or on these forums :)
KatrinaP
Currently Reading: Tempest's Fury
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katrinap.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by KatrinaP »

For people who really love books, it is such a fundamental part of their character and life that I imagine it would be difficult to share their life with someone missing that particular trait. I lucked out with my own husband, he loves books as much as I do, and it is such a big part of our lives, I don't think I could ever have grown as close to someone who didn't share in the profound love and devotion I have to books.
MiziS_1305
Favorite Book: The Lost Symbol
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mizis-1305.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by MiziS_1305 »

I definitely can. As the very famous law says 'opposite attracts'.
lmvartanian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmvartanian.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by lmvartanian »

I'm not sure if I could date someone who doesn't read. Reading is often my "alone time" and it make me centered again. I don't need to read the same book as my significant other, but having that understanding of turning off the electronics and sound and being able to imagine and expand your mind is important to me. Sometimes, I don't understand what people do to de-stress if they don't read.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

Well. My wife doesn't read books. Frankly is not a big deal in my case. She respect my passions and complements me. I love talking to her about the books I read. She's a great listener.
Rachele4769
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachele4769.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Rachele4769 »

:techie-studyingbrown: I have dated nonreaders before and its sort of lame. I love to read outloud to my guy and have his feedback on it.
Chandler_Greg
Currently Reading: Beneath the Kauri Tree
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandler-greg.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Chandler_Greg »

I could if they were still an intelligent, thoughtful person. There are other things to discuss than books. Neither of my own children are very interested in reading for pleasure, though I always hope that will change when they're done with formal schooling and aren't reading because the have to. Admittedly, it would be harder to bond with someone that showed no interest in literature.
britburkett87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by britburkett87 »

Yes I defiantly can and currently am dating someone that doesn't really enjoy reading but he understands that when im reading its basically like I'm not even here any more but more like I'm in another place altogether. And i feel like as long as someone respects what you do then you should never abandon a chance at love.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”