Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ernie6988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ernie6988.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Ernie6988 »

Yes of course. Simply put, I would want to be with someone that is different and unique. Not every couple is going to have the same interests, and thats ok with me.
bekkirtw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bekkirtw.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by bekkirtw »

Yes I could, and I am. He will listen to audio books, but does not like to read. We have an understanding: he doesn't complain when I read, and I don't complain when he plays the x-box. We have enough in common otherwise that this is not a deal-breaker. I sometimes break down the story in a book for him, especially if it was a really good one. He enjoys a good story, but his ADHD will not allow him to sit through reading the whole thing. To me, there are bigger issues in life than how one chooses to entertain/inform oneself.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

I'm both a reader and writer, it's basically my life. It will be my career and any future partners have to understand that be up for discussing it. I would like to be with someone that I can discuss plots with. They don't have to read the same things I read or like them, as long as we can have those deep 3am discussions though. Because of my future plans, pretty much anyone who wants to be with me is going to get into reading or writing whether they like it or not.
Katiemhardy813
Currently Reading: The Martian
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiemhardy813.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Katiemhardy813 »

I've done both, and...it's *really* hard to date a non-reader because...I do, I judge them! (Hides.) I can't help it! But I've found that as long as the person I'm dating is a curious person (a must), and lets me prattle on about all the books *I'm* reading, it's do-able. But not preferable. Heh.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

I think dating someone who does not read is like mixing water with oil. That means you have too much work at hand, because the person will never learn any lesson or accept any wrong.
Kakai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Kakai »

Personally I could not be a friend or be close to somebody who do not Like reading. We gain knowledge with reading. We discover the world with people, we learn to live in the world we rules and guideline
Kolig595
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kolig595.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Kolig595 »

I am currently very happy with someone for four years who doesn’t read and I completely love reading. My girlfriend has ADHD and therefore struggles with reading so I understand it’s not as easy for her as it may be for me. While reading comes as a breeze for me, it’s more of a task for her to try to comprehend and sit still long enough to understand what’s in front of her.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loischenderson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by LoisCHenderson »

There's reading and reading. I would definitely not be able to date someone who reads books, but who is unable/unwilling to discuss them in a meaningful way with me.
mnmueller
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mnmueller.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mnmueller »

I've never dated someone who loves to read as much as I do. Or even half as much, really. As long as they share other interests of mine and respect my desire to spend a lot of time reading, it isn't a problem. It does end up being a chore, though. The problems is that I don't watch much TV and only a small fraction of the movies that are out, so if I can't talk about what I'm reading I don't have much to say.

I think if I had to choose only one interest to share with someone, it would be reading. Everything else is secondary, but reading is such an important aspect of my life.
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

Currently I am in such of Girly who is more into books as we will never fall short of what to discuss on.
mrswoodlee
Currently Reading: Dreamlander
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrswoodlee.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by mrswoodlee »

I don't know. My husband is dyslexic, so reading gives him a headache, but he loves stories, so I read books aloud to him. We just finished the Harry Potter series. I do hate that I can't get him into classics, but he does dip his toe in from time to time. Treasure Island is next on the list. I do sometimes wish he read independently or at least had similar taste in books. It would be nice to sit around reading our own books in silence, instead of having to go to another room while he watches TV, but it's not an absolute requirement. As important as reading is to me personally, there are other more important factors that can outweigh any lacking in the literary department.
CherylLouise
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CherylLouise »

No. Reading is one of my passions. If a fellow did not read, I would not include the male in my circle of people I want in my life. A :doh: Big deal breaker.
Vlinstry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vlinstry »

I am very very happy with my partner and while he does enjoy the occasional book, he hasn't actually read one in years. He will if the mod takes him but he has other hobbies, and that's ok. He doesn't have to read for me to like and love him as a person.
TashaCrispin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tashacrispin.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by TashaCrispin »

Wow! I can't believe I was thinking the same thing. I was in a relationship with someone who never really cared about reading. Even articles. It is really hard to connect with someone like that on another level because most of them are not imaginative.

And it's not that am a staunch reader. I just think reading is important for imagination and refreshing creativity. It unleashes your ability to see beyond what everyone is overlooking. It doesn't matter what one reads, it's just great for our brain energy.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I could. While reading is important to me, it was never a requirement for a relationship. I have plenty of friends with which to discuss books, so it doesn't concern me if that isn't a common ground in a relationship.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”