Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Jeyran Main »

I can. I think everyone and I mean absolutely everyone does read, it is just some read much more than others. I can give an example. My husband reads news and events on his phone. He reads random game books or anything that comes across his way if he finds interesting. However, he does not sit and read a book just because he likes to read one.

Everyone reads something, so yes, we can still have plenty of topics to talk about with each other and it does not bother me that he is not so much of an avid reader than I am.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
Redcraze
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Redcraze »

I'd be reluctant to say that this could never happen but the odds would be against it. Similarly I'd be unlikely to be attracted by someone who was religious, or believed that aircraft vapour trails are part of a plot to poison us all. So ... possible but not likely.
Abdullai Rogers
Currently Reading: Three weeks in spring
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Abdullai Rogers »

As for me why not,i can take that chance to educate her on the reading of book
blacksand22
Currently Reading: Dead Souls
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by blacksand22 »

I rather be dead.
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

I don't think I could. I think our personalities would be so different we just wouldn't be a good match.
Caroline j
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Caroline j »

I could date someone who doesn't read as long as they understand i like to read. I could read while they watched sport on tv. Then I won't interupt them! Win, win !
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I would find it very difficult even though i finally accept the proposal. The reason being that reading keeps one exposed as such that person won't be as exposed as you are and will always feel intimidated during discussions.
Suzzete
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzzete.html
Latest Review: The FBI Inspector by Jay Dubya

Post by Suzzete »

I would but it would be a little sad that he and I wouldn't share the one thing I enjoy most
joshmanzano
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfender.html
Latest Review: "Don't Let It Show" by Randy Boucher

Post by joshmanzano »

Probably. As long as she indulges in other forms of media, such as movies, documentaries, shows, and magazines.
Latest Review: "Don't Let It Show" by Randy Boucher
fidelarmus
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by fidelarmus »

Scott wrote:Could you date someone who doesn't read? I don't mean someone who can't read, but someone who chooses to read almost nothing, and who almost never reads a book. Could you get into a romantic relationship with such a person?

I doubt that I could. I could never get emotionally close to a person who doesn't read books, mainly because we could never discuss a specific book, and the person would never be able to take any of my recommendations let alone make any recommendations of their own to me.

(This is nothing that's happening to me right now, just a random hypothetical that I've been pondering when I can't sleep at night and such. :wink: )
Well, you can't have sex with the book. Not sure you'd even want to try it out per some robot woman either. All the same, books bring one's mind places where neither augurs. Dip into the evangelized honeycomb and thus pluck forth truth coals. Enjoy your salvative marriage and make wild love atop the Biblical surface.
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

I've never even met someone who doesn't read. Everyone reads something I think, whether it's magazines, scripts, news articles, tabloids, everyone's invested in words somehow.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Emilyflint »

I am married to a man that doesn't read books. But, he is a very smart man and when he is interested in something, he does his research and reds everything he can find in the subject. I believe that makes up for him not reading books. Plus I would get a little possessive if he were to read one of my books. I have a couple of friends with whom I discuss books with.
ilycrysel
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilycrysel.html

Post by ilycrysel »

I was 5 years with someone who doesn't read at all... All the money wasted in books that he hasn't read yet (and he probably will never read!). So it is possible to be with someone that doesn't read, but I think it's probably more fun to be with someone that enjoys it as much as me! Especially because I think it's important to be able to share ideas while talking about a book together. Books give us so many topics we can talk about and discuss about, so it's a great way to understand what the other person thinks about a certain topic.
masterhawk88
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masterhawk88.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by masterhawk88 »

In short, no. In long... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I find people who don't read to be incredibly dull and unimaginative.
Through books, I have lived not just one life but thousands.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
phanuruch

Post by phanuruch »

I am not sure if I can cope with a person who does not read. I always have a problem holding an intelligent conversation with people who do not read.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”