Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Dorcdebie28+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Dorcdebie28+ »

Definitely. Dating someone who doesn't read may be discouraging at first but I'll love it. Reding takes my time and I'll rather the person I'm dating doesn't forget our anniversary because he was preoccupied by a particular book. At least one of us should have something useful we spend our time on.
Iconicsmt
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Unborn
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconicsmt.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Iconicsmt »

I absolutely could. I’ve always naturally gravitated toward people (both romantically and platonically) who are vastly different from my own personality, especially their interests and preferred hobbies. I just enjoy learning about varying subjects from people who are passionate about them and genuinely interested in talking and showing me why the love it. I like to think that goes 2 ways, at least sometimes. If I get started on the mysterious darkness of the Brontë sisters, that Poe could be as masterful at romanticism as he could the macabre, or the real endings to some of the best known Grimms fairytales, more often than not it leads to an irreversible plunge down a literary rabbit hole!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
M1ll1on_L18ht

Post by M1ll1on_L18ht »

In my opinion, everybody have their own hobby, let it be..
Very important to appreciate and respect each other circumstance
If we feel comfortable, go ahead if not may walk away

"Just because a door appears closed it does not mean that it is locked - nor that it will not open with the right heart, call or touch”

Rasheed Ogunlaru
Sararob06
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

My partner is not an avid reader for a few reasons. It doesn’t bother me and I don’t think it have any impact on our relationship. If I’m reading a book and want to discuss it he participates happily, just like when he wants to talk about something he is passionate about that isn’t an interest of mine.
Bossup

Post by Bossup »

Yes I could in after so long they could adapt to it
Abi_kanda
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-kanda.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Abi_kanda »

I definitely would. Although I love reading, I wouldn't mind someone who doesn't. I think that is a personal choice because, I would not like to be forced to do something I don't like in order to get a person to like me back. Not wanting to read does not mean one is not brilliant and honestly, that's all that matters.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

I think that I could date someone who doesn't read or doesn't have an interest in reading, as long as they respect and listen to my interests as I would them. Although my current (and hopefully forever) girlfriend is an english and theatre student so she definitely enjoys reading!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Eareeves99
Currently Reading: The Beautiful Ones
Bookshelf Size: 326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eareeves99.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Eareeves99 »

Married 19 years in December to a man who doesn’t care to read for pleasure. He enjoys learning new information through podcasts and videos instead. Reading is not only extremely enjoyable for me, but I use it as a coping mechanism during those times I need to hide from the world or get lost in someone’s reality that isn’t my own. My husband finds other stuff to do while I read and listens when I’m feeling passionate about a book I’m reading. It can work!
Susanna83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susanna83.html
Latest Review: Tales from the Gray Area by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Susanna83 »

I am engaged with one non-reader😁 But it's good, he has his hobbies and I have mine. That gives me more time to read. We still have many other things in common and he brings me back to real world after living in fantasy world with good book.
Bridgetbruso99
Currently Reading: MY FRIEND Marilyn
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgetbruso99.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Bridgetbruso99 »

I have dated people that didn't like reading and I have to say I really don't like it much. The ones who didn't usually weren't very cultured or worldly and often they don't pronounce words correctly or don't know what certain words mean. For me, though, the bottom line is you have to accept my book reading or it is over.
A funny story:
When my husband was alive, he was not a reader. He did support my book reading habits except it became like a library in the house so he made me switch to ebooks. One time we took a staycation here downtown and went to the big Barnes and Noble that night and he participated! He went crazy getting four or five books in the "adult" section. I was so proud of him. And then he got to the counter and thought he had to show his ID to purchase books about sex!! I laughed for a really long time after that and still do on occasion.
Nikita_sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikita-sharma.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nikita_sharma »

I have been with someone who does not read for 8 years now. Initially it was a bit of a shock but I came to understand that he prefers visual medium more. So we enjoy that together. And if there's something about any book I want to share with him - story, concept, anything really - we enjoy that too. This is a non-issue for us.
Shalika_G_17
Currently Reading: Code of Capricorn
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalika-g-17.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Shalika_G_17 »

I know I can! My boyfriend doesn't like reading books as much as I do. I gifted him a book that I thought he'd enjoy for his birthday last year. It was 'Outliers' by Malcolm Gladwell. He hasn't opened the book yet. But, I don't think that has affected our relationship negatively. I'm good as long as we give each other enough space to explore our interests, even if we're not interested in the same things.
ggrll

Post by ggrll »

I have in the past, and I certainly could in the future. While reading is incredibly important to me, all I would really need from my partner is respect for my interests. I'm sure they are going to have interests important to them that wouldn't matter or be of interest to me, but I would still respect their opinion and interest. So mutual understanding and respect, if that makes sense! Besides, I'm sure we would have other shared interests and sometimes I like having something that's uniquely mine in a relationship/friendship. It reminds me of my independence! And the active choice I'm making to care for this partner/friend.
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Post by GianKosi77 »

Being an anti-book may be a weakness. As long as there is love between us, I choose to overlook their weaknesses and cling on their strengths.
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.
TomAPo
Currently Reading: They Thought They Were Free
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomapo.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by TomAPo »

I could and I did. Then I married her. Now it has been 33 years and we are still married and she still does not like to read books and I do. :techie-reference:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”