Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
TigamineReader28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by TigamineReader28 »

No. For me personally, I need a person who reads in my life. For instance, I have a friend that doesn't like reading -- AT ALL. They gather all of their information in the form of audio or visual. They actively avoid having to read. But as a result when we communicate by text, they are often misunderstandings over them not reading carefully. These misunderstandings range from amusing and humorous to downright frustrating and upsetting.

I take in much of the world around me in reading and I love to discuss that with others in word and in writing. All of my family are readers and thus I grew up in a family where I could relate to and communicate easily with them. My friend can't process reading over long periods of time and I spend time explaining what things means -- which is no reflection on their intelligence. But because reading and writing is how I comfortably communicate, it does change the kind of close friendship we have.

This is a disconnect that I can be ok with in friendship -- but as for a romantic relationship --it simply won't do. I require a person who has a love for reading. They needn't be an avid reader, but I couldn't survive with a person who doesn't read.
PegR
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by PegR »

It's really about preferences. I've dated a guy who loved playing games and while he played, I read. But it's better when you can share hobbies and talk about many books.
Carrise99+

Post by Carrise99+ »

That is literally me and my partner! The good thing is he will listen to me rant about plot line and characters to no end
nomnombooks
Currently Reading: Die Uhr, die nicht tickt
Bookshelf Size: 491
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomnombooks.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by nomnombooks »

I think I could date someone who doesn't read, as long as they respect that it is one of my main hobbies and that I spend a lot of time on it. Maybe it could even be nice, if they are interested in the stories you read and you can tell them about it.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I think it would be wonderful if my partner were an avid reader/bibliophile like myself but I have several friends who aren't readers and they still listen a little bit. And that's one of the reasons I like onlinebookclub is that I can write my thoughts about books here! One thing, I own so many books that any partner I have will just have to deal with that lol!
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
carlarsmendes
Currently Reading:

Post by carlarsmendes »

I guess I could date someone who doen't read books but lots of articles, for example. or doesn't read literature. But for the long long run I think it would be a dealbreaker.
isabel2302
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabel2302.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by isabel2302 »

I've dated someone who didn't read and refused to read any book I recommended, I've dated someone who didn't read and who I managed to turn into an avid reader, and I've dated someone who had grown up in the company of books and who nurtured and valued his reading habits. I must say the last relationship was the best experience out of the three, so I do have a tendency to value readers as potential date candidates before people who don't read, and - although this might sound wrong of me to say, and although I am aware that there are many other ways to enrich oneself other than reading - I do believe that when someone reads regularly, it just shows!
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

i really don't mind personally, as long as i am left alone to read when i need to. we can find other interest to share.
MichelleHite

Post by MichelleHite »

Okay, so I was married to a man 32 years who rarely ever read anything much less a book. He emerged himself in his work he was self employed, hardworking and very smart. Cancer took his life 5 months ago, so if you would ask me if I would do it again I would have to say a resounding YES! Reading is not everything, but the person would have to care and be willing to learn new things.
HershyGreenwood
Currently Reading: A Storm of Swords
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hershygreenwood.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by HershyGreenwood »

I won't mind dating someone who doesn't read or enjoy reading...well, my current partner doesn't enjoy reading but what makes our relationship fun and interesting (especially for me) is that once I'm done reading a book, I have someone to share the story with...my partner loves stories and is curious about every piece of work I read and he absolutely enjoys listening to me talk about the books I read...so in a way it's perfect. I guess, I would however hate being in a relationship with someone who isn't curious or lacks imagination...
elderwand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 565

Post by elderwand »

I could overlook him not being a reader if we mutually loved and trusted each other.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

This was exactly my relationship for years, my boyfriend didn't enjoy reading but would always listen when I wanted to talk about books! He always made an effort to go to bookstores with me and would randomly buy and bring me books aha! It took a while but he eventually read Harry Potter and now he's hooked on reading!
linham02660
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by linham02660 »

Nope, never, nada, not a chance in ..... :lol2:
MTP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by MTP »

yes I think I could, I'm not a very avid reader myself but I learned to love it, but I think I could be in a relationship with someone who doesn't read that much
Rebecca1999

Post by Rebecca1999 »

No. I could not, the reasoning behind my answer being that I can be found almost always with my nose in a book. If I am not reading I am thinking of my current or past books. I can't hold much of a conversation if its not of a book I have or haven't read.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”