Is it possible to *not* have a favorite book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jkmalik
Bookshelf Size: 0

Is it possible to *not* have a favorite book?

Post by jkmalik »

Is it possible you can love to read, be a complete and total "bookworm", but not have a favorite book or author?

I'm not going to say I've read an infinite amount of books in thirty years; however, I've read many, and many kinds, distributed amongst fiction and non-fiction, classic and contemporary, poetry and prose.

I can't pick.

I thought Animal Farm.

Then, I thought The Handmaid's Tale.

Then, for the longest time I thought, The Bell Jar, which I've reread the most. However, I tried to read it again, last year, and I just couldn't get into it---and I hadn't read it in like six or seven years.

Besides, I think our tastes change over the years, don't they?

Thoughts?

-Jess
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

In answer to the question in the topic title, I think that is perfectly possible and perfectly fine. I can't name a favorite myself.

And yes, experiences change us (and our tastes) over the years. I only pray that mine will make me a much better person in the end.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I don't have any single favorite. I have multiple favorites, genres/books/authors I prefer, but I don't really have any one favorite anything.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having or not having a favorite, and I do agree that our tastes change. Sometimes they change a lot.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
_l_e_x_y_22
Currently Reading: Drums of Autumn
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-e-x-y-22.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by _l_e_x_y_22 »

I definitely see how this could be a problem. I feel like everyone has to have a "favorite" but there are so many good authors and books in the world how can you choose just one. I think it's completely possible and okay to not have just one favorite book, sometimes you just can't choose and that's totally valid.
KaitW13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitw13.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by KaitW13 »

I think it is possible to not have one designated favorite because you could definitely have several more appreciated books that you could never decide between as the best one. It’s hard for me to do as well, even concerning entire genres of books.
reignstar2149
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by reignstar2149 »

Perhaps this could lead to another topic for discussion but in direct response to this question would be a yes for me.

However... if I had to choose only one book... for example:
If I was in The British Library or the Library of Congress and say that for some reason the building, or world for that matter, was about to be destroyed (by man or nature) and I had to choose only one book to take, what would it be?

With certainty, I would be walking out with their biggest dictionary in my arm.

(Please dont ask what type... :D
I would not even go to the monolingual section! Just the English one is suffice.)

I would not even think or consider about anything else...
Not the best or biggest selling. Not even the oldest or most expensive...

I can live without the books of the famous or great authors,
but not the book that contains the greatest meaning of words.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

Tastes do change over time, but I think it's okay to have more than one favourite.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Yes and no cause even after reading this favorite book and you are through what next? yuve got to move on and read other books.
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

You don't have to have a favorite book. My favorite changes with my mood or what genre I'm interested in at the time.
~Roxie~
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

jkmalik wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 17:54 Is it possible you can love to read, be a complete and total "bookworm", but not have a favorite book or author?

I'm not going to say I've read an infinite amount of books in thirty years; however, I've read many, and many kinds, distributed amongst fiction and non-fiction, classic and contemporary, poetry and prose.

I can't pick.

I thought Animal Farm.

Then, I thought The Handmaid's Tale.

Then, for the longest time I thought, The Bell Jar, which I've reread the most. However, I tried to read it again, last year, and I just couldn't get into it---and I hadn't read it in like six or seven years.

Besides, I think our tastes change over the years, don't they?

Thoughts?

-Jess
Yes. Our tastes so change and I also don't have one single favorite book per se.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Lia A
Favorite Book: Aurora Rising
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia-a.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Lia A »

I have many favorites, and when asked to choose one, I just choose the one that I think of first.
I actually don't have any one favorite.
“𝓞𝓷𝓮 𝓶𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝓪𝓵𝔀𝓪𝔂𝓼 𝓫𝓮 𝓬𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓸𝓯 𝓫𝓸𝓸𝓴𝓼, 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝔀𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓲𝓼 𝓲𝓷𝓼𝓲𝓭𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓶, 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓭𝓼 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓹𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓸 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮 𝓾𝓼.”
― 𝓒𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓻𝓪 𝓒𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮, (𝓒𝓵𝓸𝓬𝓴𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓴 𝓐𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓵)
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

I love reading and still, I can't choose a favorite. I have plenty that I love, though, I just can't compare them.
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

I think so. When I'm asked what my favourite book is I always reply with the Harry Potter series, but I wouldn't know which one to pick because they are all so amazing! So yeah, if someone told me they didn't have a favourite book I'd think it was fine.
Disquisitive
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disquisitive.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Disquisitive »

Definitely! I used to have a favourite book when I was a child, but as I've gotten older, I've found I don't really have a favourite book any more.

If I really enjoy a book, I'll buy a paper copy of it, not just an e-book, to make it easier to read again and again. That said, I still don't have a favourite out of the paper books on my physical shelf. I suspect if I ever did enjoy one more than another, then the next year it might be the other way around. I agree with what you said about tastes changing over the years.

So the closest thing I have to a favourite book is actually a bookshelf of paper books that I like a lot, which I suppose can be considered as my shortlist of my top all-time favourites. But I don't have one book that stands out among the others on that list.
Zeejane
Currently Reading: Dawn's Early Light
Bookshelf Size: 843

Post by Zeejane »

I have favorite authors but don't have one favorite book. I definitely have favorite books read each year, (so if I read 100 books there may be 4-5 that really stood out to me), but my reading tastes change over time so what I loved a few years ago I may not enjoy as much now.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”