Hunger Games Vs. Twilight?!

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Twilight or Hunger Games

Twilight...Please comment why in a post
18%
The Hunger Games...Please comment why in the post
82%

Total votes: 44

Ropis
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2376

Re: Hunger Games Vs. Twilight?!

Post by Ropis »

HUNGER GAMES!
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph W. Emerson
mandap24
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandap24.html
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst

Post by mandap24 »

The series are totally different one is action with supernatural creatures (werewolves & vampires) with a good amount of romance thrown in
the other is a dystopian young adult series that focuses a lot on survival and society

I prefer Hunger Games because it's not about romance to me, it's about Katniss Everdeen trying to survive in a messed up society and trying to do the right thing.
Latest Review: "Usu" by Jayde Ver Elst
Tanafee

Post by Tanafee »

Hunger games for the win
salberson 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Post by salberson 10 »

Ok- I actually like both series but for different reasons. Twilight is a quick read and an easy fit for ya fans, but it is poorly written and characters are annoying. Hunger Games is a little bit better written but does not absorb the reader as quickly. Hunger Games- better story content Twilight - quicker read
volpe-rossa
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-volpe-rossa.html

Post by volpe-rossa »

I couldn't get into the Twilight series due to the writing style (just not for me) and the fact that I was working at a bookstore when the fandom exploded. On a daily basis I was gawked at for not having read them, and given ugly looks when I would say I wasn't interested either (because I didn't like the writing style.) It completely turned me off to the series entirely. Admitting that it's a horrible reason to feel that way, of course, I may try again some time.

But for me personally, The Hunger Games was just one of those stories that was "for me". From living in a behind the times/poor area to being a female archer/hunter, it was a series that spoke to me the moment a friend told me about it :)
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

I'm sure you're done with your vacation now but I liked both series. I read both of them before they became popular and then once they did, it was annoying but oh well. I would recommend both though at least to try out and see if you would like them.
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
lovestoread
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: mortal instruments series
Currently Reading: accused
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by lovestoread »

Twilight,because I like reading vampire novels.
lovelycess
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovelycess.html

Post by lovelycess »

Hunger Games because I enjoyed the dystopian part of the trilogy. The vampires in Twilight and the romance didn't really intrigue me.
joe_paul17
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-paul17.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by joe_paul17 »

Im sure you have already picked one to read or would have finished both by now. :D
Would prefer HUNGER GAMES any day, its written well drawing on the whole Greek story is actually pretty weird deal but it works for the book. And the whole totalitarian society is scary but etched out beautifully and finally it draws on the strength and weakness of Katniss and not on a 'I-wanna-bite-you-and-i-want-to-be-bitten' love story.
Granted Twilight is a breezy read but frankly is it me or does anyone else also wonder why in today's 21st century do you have a kinda whacked out girl who doesn't really want a life but immortal death to just be in love and why is the Bella character so in need of help all the time.
Anyways Hunger Games any day.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
untiltomorrow_28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-untiltomorrow-28.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by untiltomorrow_28 »

I have read both series. Both are well done, in their own right. However, I would definitely go with The Hunger Games. All three are page turners and build upon each other. They keep you wanting to know what happens. Really enjoyed them myself.
colemaba
Favorite Author: I can never decide
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21844">the hinger games</a>
Currently Reading: Enders Game
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colemaba.html
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams

Post by colemaba »

I loved them both while reading them both, but Twilight was a book for my younger self. My biggest reason for preferring the Hunger games is because of the strong female lead.
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams
caitie520
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitie520.html

Post by caitie520 »

I liked The Hunger Games because it was different than the other books that I have read. I enjoyed reading it and it had a strong female protagonist
Vimtuous
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vimtuous.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Vimtuous »

Hunger Games just has more meat to it than the Twilight series. I generally liked the characters more and it Hunger Games has less problematic aspects for me than Twilight does.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

I'm not a huge fan of either, but if given the choice of only these two I'd definitely go with Hunger Games. They have action and adventure and bows and arrows and strong female characters, and Twilight doesn't have any of that, especially the last one. Katniss is superior to Bella in basically every way. She's strong and independent and fiercely protective of her family, but she still has feelings and that plays a big role in the books and is an important aspect of her character. There's still the love triangle, if you want your fix of that kind of thing, but the main thing is staying alive, which is always a good way to keep things suspenseful. However, I was not a fan of the ending of the third book. (Still better than the ending of the fourth Twilight, though.)
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
midgetgem
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midgetgem.html

Post by midgetgem »

I think the Hunger Games is better because it has violence and romance and poverty and a good storyline in all at once, so there's something for everyone. Twilight does have violence, but its all around a love story which isn't for everyone.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”