Do today's teens read less or more?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
NewYorkMets
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do today's teens read less or more?

Post by NewYorkMets »

Less. Short and simple...
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

NewYorkMets wrote:Less. Short and simple...
I don't think it is that simple. It depends on the teens really and their free time. My daughters, for example, love to read and often can be found with a book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

I think it depends on the preferences and personality of the individual. Some people, even when books were one of the few means of entertainment, still chose not to read.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

I think it depends on location. Maybe today's teens read less classical literature, but I think the internet has allowed for greater access to novels and short stories. Mediums such as Tumblr allow teens to read and write poetry and short stories. As a teen, I'd safely say a majority of the people I know read, though some won't admit it
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
Tianarenee3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tianarenee3.html

Post by Tianarenee3 »

I definitely believe today's teens read more but I think the what defines reading has changed. No longer to teens want to read controversial topics of the era- they want to read cute stories that make them feel good about themselves and have plots with happy endings with them. Non fiction is not even an option because teens have this position that anything real is wrong or boring, and anything old is dumb. It definitely has something to do with societies condoning certain behavior but teen definitely read more things today, just not what you'd expect.
Nimbus Wolfsbane
Favorite Author: Arthur Conan Doyle
Favorite Book: To Kill A Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimbus-wolfsbane.html
fav_author_id: 2456

Post by Nimbus Wolfsbane »

less, technology is making reading a dying hobby. I'm in tenth grade and I am the only one in my class who reads religiously.
With each page you turn another life you live...
Emmybuddy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmybuddy.html

Post by Emmybuddy »

I'm a teenager and me and my friends prefer a good book rather than technology but maybe that's just us
haloja
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haloja.html

Post by haloja »

Because you start to hate reading once someone else force you to read them
scriptbunny
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scriptbunny.html
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.

Post by scriptbunny »

Given the rising/record-high popularity of YA novels nowadays, I find these survey results to be pretty surprising.
Latest Review: "LIES" by Elizabeth scott, ph.d. and bridget harwell, ph.d.
Wolfsbane Creations
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolfsbane-creations.html

Post by Wolfsbane Creations »

I am a teen and literally only read, but most others in my class hardly read at all
readinginreview4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginreview4.html

Post by readinginreview4 »

I think they read way less. Teens are more consumed with electronics, especially video games and television.
amansmith
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Favorite Book: Alpha and Omega and Highland Moonlight
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amansmith.html
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by amansmith »

I think they read less. I am not positive, but I know that my niece will not even pick up a book unless she absolutely has to. She (like I am assuming most are) prefers to watch TV or play xbox, playstation, ect. I remember asking her about a book one time and she told me that she would rather wait until the movie comes out.
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
LittleWilma
Favorite Author: Jeff Melton
Favorite Book: Dark Destiny
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlewilma.html

Post by LittleWilma »

I don't think there is a simple answer to this question. I think it mostly depends on the individual. My older daughter read less than I did as a teen, but more than my sisters did at that age. She's always been a homebody. My younger daughter doesn't read much at all. She is a lot more active and would stay outside 24 hours a day, if we would let her.
"I like liquor — its taste and its effects — and that is just the reason why I never drink it."
-Stonewall Jackson
ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by ttuso22 »

I think it may have decreased for a while, but then again I have known a lot of teens who indulge in the YA and have started to get into other books. As the rise of technology comes, books will have to evolve and will probably come through Kindles.
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
mccarty231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mccarty231.html

Post by mccarty231 »

I think it is safe to say that teens today read less books. They may spend more time reading articles, news, watching films and viewing art, however. More importantly, though, I think a lot of what we read today is less intellectual - or simply well-written - than previous generations. Anyone can publish today. In a way, that's beautiful. Everyone has the chance to get their words out there and make their opinions known. On the other hand, a lot of what is available - particularly to teens - may not really offer the chance for adolescents to expand knowledge or learn more about the world.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”