Do today's teens read less or more?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
RobertManchester
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robertmanchester.html

Re: Do today's teens read less or more?

Post by RobertManchester »

I'd say more 2thing spring to mind 1st would be format all the Ebola readers and stuff like that make reading more cool and more available. 2nd is that as far as I can see they have more to pick from than ever before that they can feel has been made for them
thenameisZelda
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thenameiszelda.html
Latest Review: "Asian Recipes" by Muhammad saleem malik

Post by thenameisZelda »

Sadly, I think this is true. Most teens I know only read when school requires them to read. Even then they don't really read. I have a 12 year old sister who is more wrapped up in fanfics than she is in actual literature of substance. She doesn't read anything with any real meaning behind it. Just the mindless dribble of other teens and their fantasies involving One Direction and other boy bands. It's upsetting. But it is a whole new generation.
Latest Review: "Asian Recipes" by Muhammad saleem malik
andrewandrea

Post by andrewandrea »

I think is no matter how much they read but what ...
Lehayes5

Post by Lehayes5 »

Most seem to read less. There are too many things like game systems and smart phones for teens to be preoccupied with nowadays. I'm thankful I have two teenage cousins that enjoy getting together to just read or share books.
Chrysa Pap

Post by Chrysa Pap »

I'm 16 & a crazy book lover. But i don't really know if kids read more or less than they used to.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

Well I am a 16 year old teen but this changes person to person. I have lots of friends who love to read and same amount as who hate to read. How can they hate reading? I have no idea.
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
hasreadit

Post by hasreadit »

As a teen, I know a lot of other teens who like to read. At the same time, the books they choose to read are pretty crappy and have no substance to them. I think the same percentage of teens read now, just like always, and the teens who don't find other venues of entertainment
midgetgem
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-midgetgem.html

Post by midgetgem »

I know quite a lot of people who love reading, but in my opinion I think teens read less nowadays. I used to read constantly and wouldn't ever be seen without a book, but since I discovered the Internet and I had a phone etc. I didn't read as much. There are other things that teens nowadays would prefer to do than sit and read, like watch YouTube videos or go on Tumblr/Twitter, which I suppose is reading but not the way that its meant to be!
Noeld
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noeld.html

Post by Noeld »

At my middle school we had a thing where you got different prizes for reading fifteen, twenty, or twenty-five books. You had the whole school year to do it. One of my friends, a sixth grade girl, read thirty four books that were all over three hundred pages through the year. I was really busy with stuff that year so I only read, like, nine. You get extra points for reading really long books. One thousand page book I read counted for three. Every week they would post the book count next to the school library and my friends and I would all go look at them. There were kids from all grades who read less than five. It was pretty much from one extreme to the other. I think it depends on a lot of things. Some teens just don't have time to read and some teens would rather do other stuff. I think that a lot of the cause with teens reading books are because they don't read as well and get bored and frustrated (I know this because I'm a teen and I have friends like that). Also, a lot of teens read books just because the books are popular and they want to know what all of their friends are talking about. Overall, I think that there are a lot of reasons why teens do and don't read as much. All I know is that reading is not something that is going anywhere for a long, long time.
ylisa7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by ylisa7 »

People/teens are all going to be different. When I was a teen I had very few friends who liked reading as much as I did. Today my teen nieces all love to read. Now that I am an adult I know very few people my age who read. Maybe it's my age range, lol.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
Jennbookie

Post by Jennbookie »

I believe many are reading from a tablet, but I also think they are more interested in games, TV and movies. The movies made into books may inspire some to read books they would not have read on their own, but I don't think it is enough to say they are reading more these days. My nieces and nephews rarely read books.
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

My nephew is a preteen and he reads quite frequently (in between video games and TV, anyway), but I am not sure if that is indicative of the societal norm. With the surging popularity of YA book series being adapted into movies, I would think that some of those more popular stories are inspiring teens to pick up books. Hard to say, though. Certainly I would think many are exposed to a narrow variety of literature, required reading notwithstanding.
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
TLGabelman
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tlgabelman.html
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel

Post by TLGabelman »

I didn't like reading at all when i was younger. I tried reading but didnt like the "typical" books girls my age liked and i was a very slow reader. Now at 38 ive learned that reading a variety of genres is what works for me and most arent what women my age like now either. I dont care what people expect me to like because i usually dont like the most popular stuff unless i read them before they become popular...im an against the grain gal i guess.
“When I was your age, television was called books.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Latest Review: "Kendra" by Grant Kniefel
anitadsilva

Post by anitadsilva »

Hi everyone!

I think teens today do not want to waste their time reading books. rather they will like to watch a movie made out of a top selling book.

I feel teens today don't have the patience to go through book reading.

This lack of reading habit can be blamed on parents too, as they rarely get time out to read stories to them when these teens were kids. All kids like it when someone reads stories for them. So if we want our teens to read books and develop reading as hobby.....parents will need to be serious about it.
fifthmayfly
Favorite Author: Rick Yancey
Favorite Book: The Hot Zone and Divergent Series
Currently Reading: The Wolf Princess
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifthmayfly.html
fav_author_id: 3497

Post by fifthmayfly »

Definitely a lot less, sometimes I think I'm the only exception.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”