Do today's teens read less or more?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Re: Do today's teens read less or more?

Post by mmandy38 »

I definitely think that teens (and younger kids) do not read as much as they have in the past.
Ck89reader
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Ck89reader »

I think that teens do not read as much but not far too less. It just matters what medium they use, whether ebooks, books or online reading. I do believe that technoloy plays a role in the fact that they read less physical books. I
Bluedonutcentral
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluedonutcentral.html

Post by Bluedonutcentral »

I think that with all the influences on youtube teens may read more, I mean the technology thing is true but almost every movie or tv show even games has a book adaption, with the knowledge that one could read more about their favorite tv show,movie or game because of this teens may read more.
Aprops333
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Aprops333 »

I am a teen that loves to read, but I find that there are many distractions that keep me from reading; such as that new T.V. show I'm watching or the essay that's due next week. During high school I read loads of books, but now that I'm getting older it's harder to read, because I have more responsibilities. I think that teens have more time to read than higher age groups. The ones that love to read will find a way to get their hands on a book. However there are people that hate reading. Now that people can occupy their time with television and Facebook or going out with friends; teens that read will be less than before. Despite all of that, I still see a lot of teens reading.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I would probably say less interested, but I am not positive on that one. There are so many sports, video games, and other online activities that teenagers involve themselves in rather than reading. However, I always preferred reading instead of these activities. So I guess it might just depend on the teenager. If they have family members who read a lot, then they might read more as well.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
meg-reads
Currently Reading: Anne of Green Gables
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg-reads.html

Post by meg-reads »

As an avid reader, this is such a difficult question for me to answer. I myself read a minimum of thirty books a year. I have a book blog with over 400 avid readers like myself who are mostly young adults and teens. I also teach piano, though, and I never see my young students reading (children). My two female teenage students do read a lot, though. Perhaps reading is not encouraged in the home anymore (young children by their parents) and thus children must discover reading on their own as they get a bit older and are able to maybe use their own money to buy a book or go to the library on their own.
shubygurl84

Post by shubygurl84 »

I think they read less. They have so many more distractions compared to when I was a child. Much more compared to when my mother was a child. They have too many electronics and too much access to the internet. You could barely get the last generation to write in a journal and now every generation, moms and gmas are on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. everyday just to read and write in open journals. I just don't think there's as much reading going on with so much socializing.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I think it really depends on the kid. A couple of my nieces and nephews are voracious readers. Whether its from a paper book, a cell phone, reader or a computer the vehicle isn't what matters its the fact they are reading. I think they spend less visible time doing it, so people think they read less.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
AMarshC
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amarshc.html

Post by AMarshC »

I think teens read less today because it is easier to pick up a video game or watch tv. Welcome to the lazy era!!
jackblack360
Favorite Author: Too many

Post by jackblack360 »

Teens these days read less, especially boys. But i think sappy romance novels will always appeal to girls, no matter what generation.
SatsukiNoKimi
Currently Reading: The Titan's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 35

Post by SatsukiNoKimi »

I'd have to say, I'm in highschool and in my class of 25 there is only 6 people who enjoy reading and that's including me. Its pretty sad. This generation doesn't really read. Its all electronics.
kitfox32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitfox32.html

Post by kitfox32 »

Depends whether you mean reading books or just reading. I think overall, we live in a more text-based world than ever, and certainly since the advent of the telephone. Kids spend ages texting and reading websites like Tumblr-- which often contain full-fledged essays and stories. They also seem to read a decent number of books, in addition to their Internet and TV habits. I think we're entering the advent of a new kind of storytelling, which will have repercussions as dramatic as those of the invention of the printing press--- something that was an enormous factor in the explosion of creativity we saw in the Renaissance.
CloudedRune
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cloudedrune.html
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by María Escobedo Cubas

Post by CloudedRune »

In my opinion, many people are far too quick to generalize teenagers as this one entity (that is usually presented in a very negative light) rather than a diverse group of people of similar ages, who all have different experiences and personalities, just like people of all ages.

I know many teenagers who read a lot and many who don't. I know teenagers who read novels, poetry, fanfiction, graphic novels, short stories, webcomics; a mixture of some or all of these. (I also think that the whole idea about graphic novels/fanfiction/etc not being 'proper' reading material is ridiculous. They are all valid forms of writing and storytelling. Not enjoying/understanding the appeal of them is fine, but dismissing them as not 'real' reading material and mocking people who do enjoy them is not.)

And honestly, from my own experience as an 18 year old and interactions with classmates, friends from other places etc, a lot of teenagers are too busy/stressed etc to have time to read as much as they want to. I loved reading as a child and up until I was about 14, I continued to read a lot. After this, school and studying for exams started to cut into my reading time more and more until I hardly had any time for anything else other than lessons, studying, eating and sleeping (one year I had 17 exams to study for, most of them in the same month!) - pretty much the only regular time I had for reading was when I would travel to and from school and most days I was too burned out from everything else going on to properly concentrate and read. I am finished with the majority of my exams now so I've had more time to read in the last half a year or so and am slowly returning to reading as much as I used to.

I also think that many are unfairly critical of teenagers (people in general, but especially about teenagers) who do not like to read, full stop. I've never understood being judgmental about other people's interests because they don't match up with one's own - mocking and looking down upon people who find enjoyment in different activities is pretty awful.

I suppose I'm quite defensive of teenagers xD For reasons that I feel are valid.
Latest Review: "Why is the moon following us?" by María Escobedo Cubas
whitt888
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 511
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitt888.html

Post by whitt888 »

Unfortunately I'd have to say they read less when it comes to books anyways.
Mjelmer
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjelmer.html

Post by Mjelmer »

I believe they read less....way too many electronics!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”