Do today's teens read less or more?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Re: Do today's teens read less or more?

Post by car-mbz »

I think teens read less. Most of their time is preoccupied with social media.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Muzafar Iqbal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muzafar-iqbal.html
Latest Review: Living Abroad: Challenging the Myths of Expat Life by Jim Santos

Post by Muzafar Iqbal »

Teens definitely read a lot less now. More interested in TV, social media and their phones.
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

From my interactions with my fellow teens, most of them find reading tiresome so they sort to movies.This does not mean that the reading culture is wiped off totally.Some have cultivated an exemplary reading culture.
Amna Khalid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amna-khalid.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by Amna Khalid »

I think as compared to previous generations, today's teens are reading less cause their are many distractions like technology. Also, if they are reading more they go for ebooks and not a book in hand.
Amna Khalid
Keith Pweedy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keith-pweedy.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by Keith Pweedy »

I think teens read less because of social media. I always tell my sister to read and she tells me that she doesn't have time or she's busy but when I look at what she does, she is always on her phone!
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

I think with the technological advancement witnessed nowadays, teens prefer watching the same content that they would seek out through reading. Nowadays you find movies based on books and our lazy teenagers prefer watching which is less tasking than reading.
Rosemary Owolabi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-owolabi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Rosemary Owolabi »

I don't think today's teens read as much as the other older generation. They don't place much importance to reading like most people used the do.
If you are having a bad day, let people see that you are having a good day...Spread good vibes, people are going through a lot already. :tiphat:
Akshi Porwal
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshi-porwal.html
Latest Review: The Heat Is On by Afzal (Al) Sovani

Post by Akshi Porwal »

I'm 18 and I feel very less people read books this day. Reading a book requires patience which lacks in today's world .
Emmy page
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmy-page.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Emmy page »

my observation with teens in my home town is upsetting. Social media has taken over their attention. in-fact in several occasions i have been labeled a person who lacks what to do by many youth whenever they see me with a book. Then their is European soccer and musical get togethers. reading has taken second place among many teens.
Khushi V
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushi-v.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Khushi V »

According to me, teens do read less. There has been a drastic change in kids these days compared to years ago.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

I would just say that teens are reading more ebooks than physical books.
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

Sometimes I worry that kids don't read enough because they have so many ways to get the information without reading (ex: cliffsnotes, etc.). But, I know there are some kids who read past their bedtime. I also think encouraging your kids to read helps develop that love. My daughter hated reading because it was hard for her, but because we asked her to read for 20 minutes a day, she has found a few series she loves and she has been dedicated to reading more.
Anastasia Atkinson
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anastasia-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Anastasia Atkinson »

Being 19, I feel like this is a good question for me to answer. I feel like the stereotypical reading is lessened, but there are other ways to read besides specifically published novels. The amount of time I'd spend reading short stories written by aspiring writers and well-written fan fictions has really increased as the years went by. I read a bunch of books as a kid, as it was an easy way to escape the reality of life. It isn't exactly more or less from what I have heard of adult's experience.
Books and stories provide wonderful knowledge and lessons, but I must agree with my father that experience garners wisdom.
~Janet McNulty, excerpt from Solaris Seethes
kasedy Fairbairn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasedy-fairbairn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by kasedy Fairbairn »

It really depends honestly. My step daughters loved to read in their teen years along with my sister (they are all 22 now) my 16 year old sister is another story. She rather play sports then read. I buy my kids a lot of books. My oldest who is going to be 12 absolutely loves to read. He has a higher reading level then most kids his age. I think if you give them the tools while they are young, you have a better chance of getting them to read. Everyone is different, and unfortunately we are in a digital age. If my kid picks up a kindle to read then at least they are still reading.
Michael Villanueva
Currently Reading: Price Wars
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-villanueva.html
Latest Review: Bambara by Joseph Eidelberg
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Michael Villanueva »

My in-laws have two teenagers, and both are addicted to their phones. I think social media, mindless game apps, and streaming services that play whatever you want whenever, have made a huge dent into teenage reading, as it has in adult reading as well. This isn't really a teenage problem, but a societal one.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”