Percy Jackson/Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings/Narnia/Twilight

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Which do you think is better?

Percy Jackson
24%
Harry Potter
40%
Narnia
6%
Twilight
9%
Lord of the Rings
21%

Total votes: 173

offorsobianco
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-offorsobianco.html

Re: Percy Jackson/Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings/Narnia/Twil

Post by offorsobianco »

Poor Percy Jackson is being left behind.

I vote harry potter all the way. :)
Heidi76
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: Dead Until Dark
Bookshelf Size: 196

Post by Heidi76 »

Lord of the Rings is and will always be No 1 for me, no doubt about that, Harry Potter close second :)
Home is behind, the world ahead. And there are many paths to tread. Through shadow, to the edge of night. Until the stars are all alight. Mist and shadow, cloud and shade. All shall fade. All shall fade. /JRR Tolkien, Peregrin Took
angelbeats1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelbeats1.html
Latest Review: Iran Before . . . by Dennis Briskin

Post by angelbeats1 »

Harry Potter was the book series that originally got me into reading books. I was scared of reading incredibly long books, but Harry Potter showed me that it was nothing to be scared about. HP is also great for all ages, where as Twilight can have some more mature scenes. Overall, it was hard to choose a favorite because I love all of those books.
MysteriousNomad
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MysteriousNomad »

Narnia. Hands down. :D
Anja
Favorite Author: Too many great ones
Favorite Book: Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels
Currently Reading: Merivel by Rose Tremain
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anja.html

Post by Anja »

Books - HARRY POTTER!! But as for movies, Lord of the Rings are my all time favourites. I might have been a bit too old for Narnia when I discovered it but will definitely recommend it to younger readers.
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Post by Christinar81 »

Ohh...this is a tough one. I'm torn between LOTR and Harry Potter. Both have incredible storylines that sweep you away and make you forget everything else in the world. Both series magically transported me into the book and made me feel like I was seeing it all as it happened. Narnia and Twilight were both good series but can't even to the first two. I've never read the Percy Jackson series.
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Percy Jackson? I started that series, but it depressed the <bleep> out of me. That poor kid just had too many problems: acne, stepfather the thief, dyslexia, etc. (If I'm describing the wrong series, please let me know.)

I loved the first twilight book. I did go to the theater to see the movie, and I left the theater about half an hour into it. I just thought the movie was flat and empty and utterly pointless. I didn't care for the following books, so obviously I didn't go back to see the follow-up movies.

Narnia--I loved as a kid. I may have been a poor reader--I thought it was about the secret land of "Naria." As an adult, they no longer hold my interest. (I tried.)

Harry Potter is awesome, of course. First movie--great. Second movie--worst one made. Third--OK. Fourth--messed up Harry's relationship with Cho real bad. Fifth--OK. Sixth--I left the theater when it got too sad near the end. Seventh + Eighth--I haven't seen them!

Lord of the Rings? Have not read them. Have not seen the movies. Barely recall the animated Hobbit from childhood. Something about a ring. My sense is that it's a "guy" series that would appeal more to members of the opposite gender (I'm female).

-- 09 Mar 2015, 02:43 --

(If any of that seemed inarticulate, it's 2:43 AM here and I'm insomnia ridden.)
Alanna1837
Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alanna1837.html

Post by Alanna1837 »

Harry Potter is by far my favorites book series out of the one's mentioned above. I did like Narnia and Lord of the Rings they were not my favorite. Harry Potter is just so unique.
THunter08
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thunter08.html

Post by THunter08 »

Oh my goodness.

Lord of the Rings is practically my childhood but I do love some Harry Potter. I don't think I could choose between the two.
KNewton
Favorite Author: Not possible to list
Favorite Book: Not possible to list
Currently Reading: A Bone To Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knewton.html

Post by KNewton »

Harry Potter for books but LOTR for movies!
[*]How Fear of the Unknown Hinders the Development of Informed Decisions by Dr. Seuss[*][/color]
rose081900
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose081900.html

Post by rose081900 »

Harry Potter, hands down!
Brandi Nichcole
Favorite Author: Edgar Allen Poe
fav_author_id: 4228

Post by Brandi Nichcole »

Personally I am a huge Legolas Fan (like his is going to ask for my hand one day) . So, I vote Lord of the Rings, but Harry Potter comes in a very close second place!!
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

LOTR is the better movie but I have to choose Narnia for best book.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I saw a beautiful musical version of Narnia at church.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

For me, the LOTR movies take the cake. I can watch them year after year and I will still love them. Even the LOTR PC games. I love epic stories. That's why the Narnia movies are also great. Harry Potter? I still haven't gotten a decent to watch the entire collection. I'm with Scott on the first Twilight movie. Vampire movies don't really do it for me, but that Twilight movie surprised me. As far as the books go, the only one I've read is LOTR The Two Towers and it was good. To me, the movies sort of take the fun out of reading the book. That's why books like Divergent The Hunger Games 1 and 3 (not 2) are the only ones that are going to get read by me as I haven't watched the movies yet. Books first, movies second, that's how I like to do things.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”