Percy Jackson/Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings/Narnia/Twilight

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Which do you think is better?

Percy Jackson
24%
Harry Potter
40%
Narnia
6%
Twilight
9%
Lord of the Rings
21%

Total votes: 173

daphne_asir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daphne-asir.html
Latest Review: WALK TALL - create your own self-confidence by Ki Is Your Host

Re: Percy Jackson/Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings/Narnia/Twil

Post by daphne_asir »

Fran wrote: 23 Feb 2012, 11:42 Lord of the Rings ... no contest
I've never read lord of the rings but this rating makes me want to give it a read!
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.
Shirley Jackson
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:

Post by daphne_asir »

Alanna1837 wrote: 09 Mar 2015, 06:27 Harry Potter is by far my favorites book series out of the one's mentioned above. I did like Narnia and Lord of the Rings they were not my favorite. Harry Potter is just so unique.
I completely agree! It'll always be a lot of people's favourite. It's extremely hard to replace.
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.
Shirley Jackson
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:

Post by daphne_asir »

Lilapo9 wrote: 16 Mar 2015, 20:39 I am so thankful that you have allowed us to vote twice. I could not choose between them.
So true! I was torn up because I just couldn't pick my favourite. These books are amazing!
Shirley Jackson
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:

Post by daphne_asir »

Miri Faye wrote: 18 Mar 2015, 14:47 I have read and LOVE the Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Narnia series! I haven't yet read Twilight, but I heard that it isn't very good. Should I read it?
Yes! You totally should. And now's a perfect time, especially with midnight sun about to be released!
Shirley Jackson
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:

Post by daphne_asir »

THunter08 wrote: 09 Mar 2015, 21:49 Oh my goodness.

Lord of the Rings is practically my childhood but I do love some Harry Potter. I don't think I could choose between the two.
Haha, I had to make a hard choice between Percy Jackson and Harry potter.
Shirley Jackson
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:

Post by daphne_asir »

KNewton wrote: 09 Mar 2015, 21:54 Harry Potter for books but LOTR for movies!
I heard the movies were better than books. That's the first time I heard something like that ;)
Shirley Jackson
Xenolyph
Currently Reading: Flowers in the Attic
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xenolyph.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Xenolyph »

I have loved the Percy Jackson books since we read them in my 8th grade English class. The movie was awful and I refused to see the rest of them, but I still reread the books.

I loved both the Harry Potter books and movies. It was saddening to see that not all of the details could be included in the movies, but that is simply how it goes.

I watched one LOTR movie and fell asleep, haha. The movie obviously didn't hold my interest, so I did not pursue reading the books.

I do have all of the Narnia books and I try to read them, but the movies are so much more interesting.

And lastly: Twilight. I have not read these books since I was in junior high (I'm in my 20s now). I thought they were wonderful at that age, but I don't think I would enjoy them as much if I tried reading them now. When the movies came out, I thought they were awful. I did not like the actors at all.
Rachel Mars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Rachel Mars »

LOTR and Narnia all the way.
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

I loved the Harry Potter films! However, as I read the books before I watched them I was quite disappointed when certain things from the books weren't put into the films. But compared to other series that have been adapted to films (such as Percy Jackson), I do think that the Harry Potter ones did an excellent job of it.
swaranjalishinde
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by swaranjalishinde »

Same here I'm a Potterhead and I also love chronicals of Narnia
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eunice Geres »

I got introduced to Narnia first then Harry Potter then Percy Jackson. They all have a specific place in my heart and I can't put them against one another.
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

I selected Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia. Harry Potter is my favorite but Chronicles of Narnia was a good series as well. I've read the Lord of the Rings and the Twilight series but I was only allowed to make 2 votes. Percy Jackson is the only one on that list that I haven't read.
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

These are really tough options to choose from.
If I had to choose for books I would go with Percy Jackson and Harry Potter series. They are absolutely fantastic for me. Haven't read Narnia so I can't give an opinion for it. The Lord of the Rings was too detailed for me. I just couldn't get into it. Have been considering getting back at it again.
For movies I would go with The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter movies. The LotR series just blew my mind. And of course, the PJ series' movie adaptations were really bad :(
monserrat_21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monserrat-21.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by monserrat_21 »

For me, it depends whether we are talking about the books or the movies. When it comes to the books, I prefer Harry Potter and Percy Jackson. When it comes to the movies, I prefer Lord of the Rings and Narnia. Twilight is okay for me, but it's not a favorite.
“That’s the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet.”

Jhumpa Lahiri
JustineSophia2
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justinesophia2.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by JustineSophia2 »

I think it is really hard to compare a series of books like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. LOTR definitely has a more adult and complex writing style, while Harry Potter is geared towards children, although adults can enjoy the books as well. Both are very well-written series but Lord of the Rings I would consider a classic. It's very difficult to compare them effectively. The movies I think are better for Lord of the Rings than Harry Potter, although all the movie versions were not true to the books in all ways. I've always noticed some things are left out of LOTR and Harry Potter.
- The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. —Dr. Seuss

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”