Percy Jackson/Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings/Narnia/Twilight

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Which do you think is better?

Percy Jackson
24%
Harry Potter
40%
Narnia
6%
Twilight
9%
Lord of the Rings
21%

Total votes: 173

naptinia
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naptinia.html

Re: Percy Jackson/Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings/Narnia/Twil

Post by naptinia »

I vote for Harry Potter of course! the books are amazing and magical, the movies could be better but that's what they made out of the books... I really do hope that in ten years time they'll shoot he whole series once more... about the others, I liked the Percy Jackson movies, but was never tempted to read the books. LOTR was ok but simply took looooooong, both movies and books. Still the story is pretty awesome... Twilight I simply love the story, but hate the actors and the writing style used in the books, great potential, used badly. For what concerns Narnia, I loved the first movie, that's it. So, Harry Potter all my life!!!!
kotori

Post by kotori »

I've read all of these books and watched all the movies. I think that what's best depends on the person. I love the Lord of the rings books but they are long! I read some of the history of middle earth too. Also very long and complicated.

I loved the Harry Potter books. I've bought the books twice over! Lol.

I wasn't a fan of Percy Jackson. I think part of the reason was that I was introduced to the books as an adult and the reading was too low for me. It also seemed unbelievable. I know that sounds weird when I just said Harry Potter was amazing but to me these books felt fake and Harry Potter didn't.

I read the Twilight books and I may have felt they were okay but at the time my teenage sister became obsessed! When you have eight to ten twilight posters hanging up all the time and the movies are constantly playing or the audio books and this goes on for months....you will not want to hear the word twilight again. Ever.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

I am so thankful that you have allowed us to vote twice. I could not choose between them.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Miri Faye
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17650">The Selection</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miri-faye.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Miri Faye »

I have read and LOVE the Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Narnia series! I haven't yet read Twilight, but I heard that it isn't very good. Should I read it?
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
kotori

Post by kotori »

Miri Faye wrote:I have read and LOVE the Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Narnia series! I haven't yet read Twilight, but I heard that it isn't very good. Should I read it?

The main male character is stalker like and the main girl character is childlike in my opinion so if you want to read it sure..... I thought the books were okay but not my favorite.
Miri Faye
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17650">The Selection</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miri-faye.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Miri Faye »

Okay, thanks. My best friend is a big reader, and she didn't like the series. I think I'll give it a try if I can.
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
Deee
Favorite Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 18984">The Two Towers</a>
Currently Reading: Second Foundation
Bookshelf Size: 1417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deee.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Deee »

LOTR all the way. I loved both the books and the movies.
"But to find out the truth about how dreams die, one should never take the word of the dreamer."

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye.
sydneyraine
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Currently Reading: Forever Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydneyraine.html

Post by sydneyraine »

Harry Potter all the way! I love the others too, put Harry Potter is my childhood favorite, so I have to go with that one.
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

LOTR. I liked the twilight series,but hated the movies.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
jleach1973
Currently Reading: A Dirty Shame
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jleach1973.html

Post by jleach1973 »

I have reread the Harry Potter and Twilight series multiple times and they are my two favorite of the four mentioned. They are a great way to just escape from the real world for just a little while. I have also seen all of the movies several times and will often watch them if there is nothing else on to hold my attention. While the characters in these series go through good times and bad, the happily ever after is waiting for them at the end. Perhaps that is what keeps bringing me back to these stories!
HalcyonFlower
Currently Reading: Hearts In Atlantis
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halcyonflower.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by HalcyonFlower »

LotR - books < movie (a higher sense of urgency in the movies than in the novels)
Percy books > movie (the movie was asthetically beautiful but takes away the motif of anti-racism and plays with stereotypes)
HP - books = movie (adaptions were great, except for the 6th one)
Twilight - none (both were just terrible...)
Narnia - books < movies (not as preachy? I love the visuals)
Morgan_Malone
Currently Reading: Queen of Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-malone.html
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine

Post by Morgan_Malone »

For me Harry Potter will always be the best books and movies of this group. I really enjoyed the Percy Jackson books but the movies weren't that good. The same can be said for twilight. I really liked all of the Narnia movies but I've never read past the first book in the series. Sadly, I haven't seen or read the Lord of the Roings series even though it's been on my todo list for years.
Latest Review: "Heartbound" by P.I. Alltraine
ember
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ember.html

Post by ember »

Lord of the rings for movie adaptation. Haven't gotten to reading the trilogy tho. Since I havent read PJ, HP, 2 books only of Narnia. Twilight it is. Though, the first movie is the least I liked in the series.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I've read and watched all of these. If I have time to watch or read all in a series, I choose Twilight. It just holds my interest better and I find I just want to keep going. If I only have time for some of something, I choose Harry Potter. It's easy to slip in and out of the world. It's a tried-and-true favorite you can visit on a whim. Lord of the Rings needs my full attention or I find myself lost. Narnia is like an old friend coming to visit. It's soothing and best read/watched while sick in bed. Percy Jackson I enjoyed once.
Human314
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-human314.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Human314 »

Lord of the rings movies are the best adaptations out of those. The Harry Potter and Narnia adaptations started out good and then became less and less loyal to the source material.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”