Harry Potter vs. Twilight

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Which Book/movie is better?

Harry Potter book/movies is way Awesomer than Twilight
92%
Twilight movie/books FTW!!!!
8%

Total votes: 84

jlbolin0830
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbolin0830.html

Re: Harry Potter vs. Twilight

Post by jlbolin0830 »

I love both sets of books but I will agree Harry Potter.... that being said they are really like comparing apples to oranges. They are both book series but outside of that they are not comparable. Both sets of books stand alone in their own right.
Kaypea99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaypea99.html

Post by Kaypea99 »

Harry Potter is way better! The messages that Harry Potter conveys are better for the audience that reads them. There isn't a good argument for Twilight.
kerryl22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kerryl22.html

Post by kerryl22 »

I love both such a hard one but if I had to pick definitely harry Potter
Ashley 1820
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-1820.html

Post by Ashley 1820 »

definitely harry potter.simply awesome! twilight is no match.... n there isn't anything to debate...haha...but I liked the debate thing.we should pick up 2 movies that is comparable... and let's get some fun! :D
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

There really is no competition for me. Twilight just can't compare to Harry Potter. Harry Potter explores so many themes and has so much depth. Loyalty, love, loss, death, friendship, family, and so many other themes are there. Harry Potter is also so well-written, I don't think Twilight is on par with it.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
furybeginner
Currently Reading: Needful Things
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-furybeginner.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by furybeginner »

hasmartz wrote:Harry Potter, absolutely.

For the sake of discussion, I'll try to say something nice about Twilight, though. I felt like she captured some of the feelings of teenage obsession very well. I remember how it felt to have an unhealthy crush at that age, and I think she nailed it. The problem is that I would never really want to relive that, nor do I think it's a great example to set for younger girls reading it. I'd rather my daughters be like Hermione than Bella.
Your comment about trying to say something nice about Twilight made me laugh. But I do agree. The franchise is sold as 'romance', but it is more like ' unhealthy obsession'.

My opinion, of course, like most of the people here, is Harry Potter. While I admit that Twilight has some fun parts, I'd choose Harry Potter if I were asked which series I would re-read. And, while Harry Potter teaches us values, Twilight doesn't.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
KssioAug

Post by KssioAug »

Not trying to downplay Twilight, but Harry Potter all the way. Actually, Harry Potter is my favorite book! Characters are super charismatic and/or remarkable, history lets me constantly interested, everything is very well described and it's a very educative and smart writing. I simply love it!
Tiger33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiger33.html

Post by Tiger33 »

Harry Potter by far. I just don't vampiresee and romance.
thegeekyyogi
Currently Reading: Orange is the New Back
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thegeekyyogi.html

Post by thegeekyyogi »

tbughi1 wrote:Yeah, it's pretty hard to compare Harry Potter to anything. Its massive appeal and influence (heck, they built a theme park for it) to all makes it a bit out of Twilight's league. If you want to compare Twilight to something, Fifty Shades is a much better competitor. They both go after the same theme from completely different sides of the spectrum. Also, they've both struck heavily upon one single group and thus share a sphere of influence. Like watching a DC comic fan go head-to-head with a Marvel fan, a Twilight vs. Fifty Shades fight could get ugly I think.
I agree with this wholeheartedly, especially considering the fact that Fifty Shades was started as a Twilight fanfiction. If you read both series you can 100% see the parallels between the two.

Of course I'm a huge Potterhead, so I would choose Harry Potter over anything every time.
ramydul11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 263

Post by ramydul11 »

Harry Potter for the win! Seriously, I can't even compare them.
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

This is a tough question! I'm a fan of both. But if i have to really choose, i think I'm going to go with Twilight. :)
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

AlysonofBathe wrote:
hdg1822 wrote:I believe that Stephen King said it best: "Harry Potter is all about confronting fears, finding inner strength, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend."
Applauds!
Haha! Love this!
KimH

Post by KimH »

This isn't even a contest. There's no question that Harry Potter far surpasses Twilight.
MerryLove
Currently Reading: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merrylove.html
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MerryLove »

Harry Potter is much better. The characters grow and change over time, the females are independent and aren't afraid to try and take care of themselves, and the rationale of the plot focuses around what's happening in the world, not around a romance of two characters.

-- 11 Sep 2016, 13:02 --
hdg1822 wrote:I believe that Stephen King said it best: "Harry Potter is all about confronting fears, finding inner strength, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend."
YES. This hits the nail on the head exactly.
Latest Review: "Coppers Journey" by Julius Green
bmysti00
Currently Reading: Queen Sugar
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bmysti00.html

Post by bmysti00 »

It's hard to compare the two. They really are like apples and oranges.

Harry Potter is stronger. It has longevity. It's in its own category. Movies, plays, theme parks. It will still have that majestic quality 20 years from now.

Twilight is like one of those cult hits that you think about when your nostalgic.Twilight is always a fascinating but frustrating series for me. It catches a lot of flack for its toxic, mundane, obsessive teen romance but everything else in the series was far more superior but received little focus. If Twilight actually focused more on any number of the fascinating secondary and tertiary characters rather than its lackluster protagonists it really could have been far greater than it was. And it was a hit. A plethora of Indigenous characters, the werewolf/vampire dichotomy and how it related to colonization/gentrification. The untapped potential to explore stigmitization of mental illness. Trauma, race, cultural identity, body autonomy...Focus was on all the wrong things. It could have been so much greater.

Twilight had endless possibilities and so much untapped potential it's painful to think about. Harry Potter actually tapped into and executed its themes and greatness.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”