Harry Potter vs. Twilight

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Which Book/movie is better?

Harry Potter book/movies is way Awesomer than Twilight
92%
Twilight movie/books FTW!!!!
8%

Total votes: 84

glitterrain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glitterrain.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Re: Harry Potter vs. Twilight

Post by glitterrain »

Harry Potter has its problems, and Twilight isn't the Herald of The Downfall Of Western Civilization everyone was wailing about before Fifty Shades came along and claimed that title, but HP is at least fun to read. Twi is frustratingly boring.
Booknerd222
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Booknerd222 »

Harry Potter. ... Always.
kristinajoy07
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kristinajoy07 »

I read this one article talking about how as problematic and annoying Twilight was they were grateful they read it as a young girl and I completely agree! I started reading Twilight when I was in fifth grade and I loved it! I was ten and it was great and I read it deep into the night! It sparked a love of reading in a lot of youn kids of my generation, as well as there was a play on Bella was this plain and under table character with no personality. And yeah absolutely true, but that was good for the kids reading it who saw themselves as plain and unloveable and all of the sudden this unattainable someone who respected and cared for her was there and it was a nice change in the trope of the teenage girl changing herself for a man. I also started reading Harry Potter when I was 9, and I’ve reread it probably 30+ times. I still love Harry Potter and while they’re not on the same league, I think they were both needed and valuable.
Savanahlorain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Savanahlorain »

I enjoy both series, but I think the Harry potter books are slightly better and I like seeing how the writing evolves/improves.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

Not even close, Harry Potter always! I'm glad I didn't waste any time/money on Twilight. I was interested at first, but I read the cover, talked to a friend, and all she could say about Twilight was "omg I'm gonna marry Edward!" The story has nothing to it except an obnoxious girl and a guy that's rolling in her glitter. I was forced to watch the movie twice and was banned from the room when I couldn't stop laughing and making fun of the supposed serious/good parts. Harry Potter actually has depth, morals, and character arcs. The first few are incredibly childish, but they're for/about extremely young kids. The writing gets much deeper as the series progresses and has much more to it than whether or not you can live without your first crush.
r cooper144
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by r cooper144 »

I love reading Harry Potter every day
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

Harry Potter by FAR! Twilight isn't that well-written to be so popular in my opinion (no offense to fans!). :)
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Harry Potter. Period.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
elinadsy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elinadsy.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by elinadsy »

i think a lot of the problems surrounding twilight is not even that it's objectively a badly written book with bad themes and bad messages; it's that people enjoy making fun of things teenage girls like.

i loved twilight as a kid, and i loved harry potter too! as an adult, though, i can't stand twilight at all, but that's because it promotes terrible relationships, not because the vampires sparkle (again, look at that- people punching down on things because they're feminine. interesting, isn't it?)

but also, harry potter has its problems! mainly thanks to JKR's terrible and lazy attempts at post-publishing diversity, not to mention JKR pushing remus lupin as an "allegory" for AIDS and gay men.

overall, HP wins, though.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I reserve Twilight books/movies for when I have time for all of them. They always keep me wanting more. The world of Harry Potter is easy to slip in and out of. I can read a book or watch a movie at random and enjoy it on it's own.
Mabel6
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mabel6.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Mabel6 »

Haha I love that Stephen King quote. I agree with what's been said above, no competition - hands down, Harry Potter! J.K. Rowling made a phenomenon that has expanded very quickly into even theme parks, and the legacy will last for many years to come.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Are we even comparing them? :shock:

Anyway, Harry Potter forever.
Berry :wine:
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have read and watched all the books and movies of both series. I liked Twilight but I am a Pottermaniac, through and through. HP series just has this charm for me which no vampires or werewolves could ever compete with.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Is this a trick question? Harry Potter. No contest.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

Harry Potter, hands down. This may be the easiest question ever asked of a book reader!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”