What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Raya raymond
Currently Reading: One for the Road
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raya-raymond.html
Latest Review: Triumph Over Tears by Nava Chernoff

Re: What is the last book you read, and your rating?

Post by Raya raymond »

capricornius16 wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 07:35
Raya raymond wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 06:10
capricornius16 wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 05:31 The last book I read was Superhighway by Alex Fayman. I gave it 4 out 4 stars.
That's actually the next book in my list.
It's a great read. Hope you'll like it as much as I did.
Me too. :)
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

I just finished Walking with God by John Elderedge. A great read for Christians and an interesting one for even non-Christians.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

ea_anthony wrote: 19 Aug 2018, 09:13 I just finished Walking with God by John Elderedge. A great read for Christians and an interesting one for even non-Christians.
I gave it 3 out of 4 stars
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
winhyfer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by winhyfer »

before I fall by Lauren Oliver and 3/4 star
Jessica Reehl
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-reehl.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jessica Reehl »

I just finished reading The Woman in the Window. This was a fast-paced book similar to The Woman on the Train. This book was very good and well written. I rated it 4 out of 4.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I have just completed Small Change by Keddie Hughes. This is a characters driven story of Izzy, her husband Jim and Sean. I rate this book 4 out of 4 starts.
Endowa++
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-endowa.html
Latest Review: Curve Couture by H M Irwing

Post by Endowa++ »

Curve Couture by H M Irwing. It was a good romance story. It had a blend of romance and modelling industry.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

The last book that I read is Gringo: My Life in the Edge as an International Fugitive I highly recommend this book I gave it a 4 out of 4 rating.
Chelsea N. Hackett
rockandroll
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 772">Bleak House</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by rockandroll »

I finished reading Salman Rushdie's newest book, The Golden House. Rushdie tones down the surrealism in this parable about a wealthy family that experiences downfall and tragedy while living in New York.

References to Greek mythology are found everywhere in this dense, complicated and outstanding novel.

I give it 4.5/5
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by V&egrave;&egrave; Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Acquiesce to Love Peace and Gratitude. I rated it 2/4. Didn't have a very good plot.
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Asavela »

The last book i read is On the couch Barba Streisand i gave a 4 out 4 stars on my review.
Sia910_akku
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sia910_akku »

The last book i read is The Lies They Tell by Gillian French. I give it 2/4. Starting is interesting, world building is great but the ending is rushed and somewhat predictable. In short I'm disappointed.
Redlegs
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

The Goldfinch (Pulitzer Prize 2014) by Donna Tartt is the story of Theo Decker, a boy who lost his mother to a terrorist bomb in a New York art gallery, and who managed to steal a valuable old painting (The Goldfinch) as he escaped the bombed building.

Theo, left without apparent parental support , is taken in by the parents of a school friend, until his estranged father and new girlfriend arrive unexpectedly and whisk him off to Las Vegas, where he lives a bizarre, uncontrolled existence.

Prior to leaving New York, Theo befriended Hobie, an antiques restorer, who was the partner of a man Theo met in the art gallery and who died from the injuries he sustained.

Theo's life in Las Vegas leads him to become a thief, a drug addict, a virtual vagrant and a directionless youth with a dubious future.

Returning to New York after the death of his father (linked to gambling, drugs and alcohol), Theo is taken in by Hobie, whereupon he takes an interest in the antique furniture business and makes plenty of money by engaging in dubious deals involving fake antiques.

While in Las Vegas, Theo met Boris, the son of a Russian businessman, who leaves his son mostly unsupervised to raise himself. It is Boris who leads Theo astray, albeit that Theo is easily led.

Boris becomes aware of the valuable painting that Theo has stolen, and turns up in New York several years later with news that shocks Theo and turns his life upside down.

What follows is something of a tour through the nefarious underground world of art theft and fraud, culminating in a dramatic gangster romp in Amsterdam, all related to the stolen painting.

This is an epic tale of many moving parts and vast array of characters, which maintains pace and interest most of the time but which get bogged down occasionally with excessive detail. All of the characters are flawed at multiple levels and none are particularly likable, except Boris who sparks enthusiasm for his sheer incorrigibility.

I rated it similarly but perhaps in between The Little Friend and The Secret History in terms of my enjoyment. 4 stars out of 5.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
ea_anthony

Post by ea_anthony »

Forever Odd (Odd Thomas #2) by Dean Koontz. 3 out of 4 stars.
capricornius16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-capricornius16.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by capricornius16 »

I just finished Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco. It's a fantastic book. I gave it 3 stars out of 4.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”