**Opinions Needed**

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

What is the biggest issue you encounter when obtaining books?

High Cost
54%
Time (travel time to bookstore, library; time spent in bookstore, library; time spent ordering online; etc.)
6%
Other
8%
I don't encounter any of the above issues
32%

Total votes: 50

ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: **Opinions Needed**

Post by ianbuchanan » 04 Jul 2018, 21:13

pricklypurple wrote:
01 Jul 2018, 12:27
I think new books are just too expensive. Luckily, there are lots of way to find used books, or free books at the library.
Agreed! Yes, libraries are my go-to source for books for just those reasons, the books are free! I just love it. What's your primary way of getting books?

StephanieCorinne22
Currently Reading: Counted Righteous in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephaniecorinne22.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by StephanieCorinne22 » 07 Jul 2018, 15:06

I have just discovered thriftbooks and am getting tons from there now. They are usually under $4 and after you spend $10 it is free shipping. I find this much cheaper than Amazon, but if thriftbooks doesn't have something I want, I will use amazon.

ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan » 09 Jul 2018, 16:23

StephanieCorinne22 wrote:
07 Jul 2018, 15:06
I have just discovered thriftbooks and am getting tons from there now. They are usually under $4 and after you spend $10 it is free shipping. I find this much cheaper than Amazon, but if thriftbooks doesn't have something I want, I will use amazon.
Yeah they seem to be a great source that others on these forums seem to use pretty frequently as well! Do you usually find what you want on thriftbooks? Or are you finding that you have to go to Amazon much of the time?

Anna H

Post by Anna H » 09 Jul 2018, 17:33

I am loyal to reading printed books instead of ebooks ( though I do think they're amazing) because I prefer the feel and atmosphere they give, but buying a new book is rather costly and local libraries might take a while to source them. I buy all my paper books used in second hand charity shops for example where they're still in good condition and are affordable. I just have to wait a while until somebody donates them.

ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan » 11 Jul 2018, 16:41

Anna H wrote:
09 Jul 2018, 17:33
I am loyal to reading printed books instead of ebooks ( though I do think they're amazing) because I prefer the feel and atmosphere they give, but buying a new book is rather costly and local libraries might take a while to source them. I buy all my paper books used in second hand charity shops for example where they're still in good condition and are affordable. I just have to wait a while until somebody donates them.
Thanks for sharing! I agree with you completely regarding your preference for print books versus digital books, I just love the physical touch and turning of pages. Libraries, in most cases, from experience and from what I've read, get copies of newly released books on the very same day the books are released via other outlets (online, stores, etc.). However, with more highly demanded new releases, libraries can quickly run out of available copies available to be rented, leaving library-goers with two options: wait until it becomes "their turn" to rent the book or look to obtaining the book from another source. Libraries, of course, will evaluate, paying close attention to their purchasing budget, whether buying additional copies of highly demanded books is worthwhile, in which case, more library-goers will have access to these books.

Buying second hand is a great option! Do you ever purchase used books online or go to a local library and rent a book?

Bukari
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 11
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Bukari » Yesterday, 15:09

The prices of books are a great challenge for most of the readers. But I think the electronic delivery system is better.
Yes, I have a dream! A dream that I will never give up.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”