Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Eclectic_novels
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclectic-novels.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Eclectic_novels »

I love reading because it takes me out of my head for a time. I can get away from the everyday droll of life. I have a stressful job and reading helps me leave that behind just for a little bit.
KatSims92
Currently Reading: The Beauty Myth
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katsims92.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by KatSims92 »

I think Stephen King summed it up best when he said "Books are uniquely portable magic." So, portable magic is definitely something we all need more of in our lives. Plus, I echo all of the other reasons others pointed out too. Reading just offers so much enrichment!
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I read to learn. I love to learn about different cultures, other places, and other times. I also hope that by reading I am becoming a more well-rounded individual. I like to open my mind to different ways of thinking and maybe even change myself in the process.
NSehra
Currently Reading: Cinderella and Colonel
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by NSehra »

Reading is a stress buster, it simply makes you forget everything for that period of time.
lindsey_flagg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-flagg.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by lindsey_flagg »

I enjoy reading because it is so unlike anything else this planet has to offer. I can pick up a book and learn something new (even from a fictional story) or get an idea about something different to ponder just by reading even one page. I expand my world and my world views every time. It is also meditative for me, especially if I find a book I truly love and just get lost in the pages for hours at a time. It's like being in a different world and/or life from my own.
Cyie22love
Currently Reading: The beast I loved
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Cyie22love »

its like wathing a movie,both of which i love.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

I love reading because it allows me to learn things without necessarily setting out to do so. For instance, I can tell you a lot about Greek, Roman, and Egyptian mythology thanks to Rick Riordan's books. Further, I use books as a sort of escape, allowing me to see different parts of the world or new worlds entirely without even leaving my bed. Finally, I like to read so I can learn how to write better. I often write little poems and short stories, but they tend to get more well-written with every book I read, since I so easily learn by example.
Damaris Juliet
Favorite Book: The Book of Joy
Currently Reading: One Way or Another (The Sisters Quartet)
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damaris-juliet.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Damaris Juliet »

Firstly reading is just a way of keeping your mind active ,secondly reading keeps one very busy hence not involving himself or herself in illegal doings last but not least I personally like reading because it is my hobby and it makes me fulfilled.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I read as a way to escape the things around me. As soon as I start to read I feel like I'm in the story, living it through the main character and it is unfolding before me. No matter what mood I might be in, reading always brings me back up. Reading is my refuge.
Moureenkaranu
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moureenkaranu.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Moureenkaranu »

I reading is just part of me I have a passion for reading, and I love exploring new ideas.
StephanieCorinne22
Currently Reading: Counted Righteous in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephaniecorinne22.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by StephanieCorinne22 »

I love to read because it is a never-ending wealth of knowledge. I learn something new in every book. I find it so cool that I can learn from someone who lived one hundred years ago. I won't be able to meet that person, but their knowledge lives on in books. Not to say that I ONLY read for knowledge. I also admire the art of it: how someone can put into words what I have had in my heart. I also admire those who can transport me to another time through their words.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

As a child i had a problem with reading comprehension in elementary school. Until one day i had a teacher that worked with me, she helped me visualize what i was reading. I got the hang of it and started doing the book mobile reading challenges n the summer. you had to give short summaries about each book to get credit and that summer i got to 100 books. From then on I have loved reading. I can actually see what i am reading as soon as i see the words, I can envision the trees, meadows, cabin if there is one. Reading is really like watching a movie for me. Without trying i am the main character in the story, not just reading it. I can read multiple books at one time and keep each plot separate from each other. i do not know how ...i just can. and i enjoy the time away from reality for that short time i am reading.
WonderfulWonder17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wonderfulwonder17.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: iPhone

Post by WonderfulWonder17 »

I love reading because it allows me to believe I’m in a new world and understanding the people around me. I can immerse myself in the story and understand it better.
_mylilyotv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by _mylilyotv »

I think I like reading because I like escaping and getting taken away by the words. I love learning and bonding with characters, picturing the surroundings that are being described to me, completely losing myself in a book is one of my favourite things to do.
Torypee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Torypee »

I love reading because it keeps me amazed....amazed as to how far the imaginations, creativity and thoughts of people can go.... Reading is just amazing

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”