Did you ever read a book without reading a summary first?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Did you ever read a book without reading a summary first?

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I have read countless books without reading their blurbs or summaries.
Eevia White
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eevia-white.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Eevia White »

Then there must be something interesting in it!
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

No I can't say I have. I always read the summary to see if I might be interested in the book.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
rnraa99
Currently Reading: Call Me by Your Name
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by rnraa99 »

I love suprising myself a lot. I buy books from second hand stores or books that libraries let go because I hate spoiling the plot. I just want to delve into a new ‘world’ without having to know what im reading about.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

Of course yes, because sometimes the title of the book alone is enough to make me want to read the book.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loischenderson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by LoisCHenderson »

:twisted2: With e-books I always start reading the book first, especially if it's a free excerpt or book. I don't want others to make up my mind for me. I'm also used to reviewing books, and always try to see what strikes ME about the book. In this way, I often find that I have a different focus to other readers. I strive to be unique in my outlook - I'm very bolshy (about most things in life)!
ScoutWrites
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scoutwrites.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by ScoutWrites »

I have a friend who likes to know as little as possible about a book before he reads it. When Turtles All the Way Down came out, he wouldn't even let me tell him where the phrase, "turtles all the way down," originated.

I think it's a fun way to read a book because when I was younger I sometimes wondered why the description on the back of the book would "spoil" major plot points. I would rather discover those while I'm reading the book!
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loischenderson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by LoisCHenderson »

ScoutWrites wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 21:15 I have a friend who likes to know as little as possible about a book before he reads it. When Turtles All the Way Down came out, he wouldn't even let me tell him where the phrase, "turtles all the way down," originated.

I think it's a fun way to read a book because when I was younger I sometimes wondered why the description on the back of the book would "spoil" major plot points. I would rather discover those while I'm reading the book!
Great finding! Be innovative and explore at your own pace - you don't need to have a tour guide.
Aituaje
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aituaje.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Aituaje »

It depends on why I'm reading it. If it's a new book then I almost always read the summary so that I can see if I want to invest my time or not. If it's an old book or was recommended by someone then I'll likely just pick it up and start reading.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Yep, guilty! But that's usually if I see it is a bestseller or by a bestselling author or has won an award. I especially enjoy books that I know nothing going in; I'm truly along for the ride!
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

No, never. I tried it once as about 11 and found myself in a book that was way above my reading level (not just in vocabulary if you know what I mean). I was highly embarrassed considering my parents hadn't given me the birds and bees talk yet.
Javier Campos
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2696">One Hundred Years of Solitude</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javier-campos.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Javier Campos »

Never for classic books or book series that everyone knows about. I only read short summaries when I'm trying to find new authors.
Novelbound
Currently Reading: She Walks These Hills
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novelbound.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Novelbound »

I rarely ever read a summary. I can tell just by the first sentence if I might like it and if it's for a book club I just start reading it. It seems like a lot of summaries give away more than I care to know.
chareexnicole
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chareexnicole »

No, I couldn't. I have to know what the book is about or I won't read it. Idk why, but I just can't read a book if I don't have an idea if it's a topic I like to read, lol.
BNazareno
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by BNazareno »

Summaries first, don't buy a book just because of the cover :!2: , what if you won't like it? your money would be wasted.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”