Best Way to Get Books?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

How do you typically obtain your books?

Purchase (Online)
33%
Purchase (In-Store)
24%
Rent (from library)
30%
Borrow
13%

Total votes: 98

seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Re: Best Way to Get Books?

Post by seymmarc »

ianbuchanan wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 18:11
seymmarc wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 09:55
ianbuchanan wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 18:02

Yeah...sometimes you just don't want to wait for that book anymore! Do you ever find yourself getting distracted while listening to audiobooks? That's always a thought/concern I've had when considering them myself.
I have gotten distracted by something I'm doing or another thought while listening to an audiobook, but I've also done the same with a book in print. I've found that I can't do something that takes too much thought while listening to an audiobook.
Right, and very true, the mind can wander with print books as well. What do you find to be the best parts of e-readers/e-books and audiobooks? I'm new to those entirely and have been wanting to learn more!
E-books are usually my last resort in regards to book format. I've found if I try to read from a screen with a backlight for too long, my eyes get tired and sore. Lately, I've been downloading any e-books from OBC onto my Kobo which has a more natural screen. As for audiobooks, I've found it depends a lot on the person narrating the book. There are some narrators that made me feel a deep connection with the characters and the storyline and others who have been so monotonous that I had to stop. I would check to see if your library has resources online that allow you to rent ebooks and audiobooks and give a few a try!
Ameesa
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Ameesa »

ianbuchanan wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 18:09
Ameesa wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 22:56
ianbuchanan wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 17:55

Wow, well I hope you're recovering well and doing okay! Do you primarily prefer e-books and audiobooks now because they allow you to stay home and consume books? Or, would they be your preferred method to print books no matter what? Personally, I can't seem to switch from print books to digital e-books for whatever reason, there's just something about holding a physical book!
I prefer e-books and audio books now, simply because I am used to them and I can get something new instantly. Plus I can shop for them from home or wherever I happen to be. I am mostly fine, thank you for asking, but after my fall, I find I'm becoming a bit of a recluse. I like familiar surroundings more now. But I don't consume books at the rate I used to, though planning to change that. Switching to e-books did take some getting used to and I do have friends who just can't seem to like them. Unfortunately, I also have a hard time holding books now, the arthritis is all over, and the e-books are easier to handle for me also.

I do miss spending hours in a good bookstore. Denver has one that is quite well known called The Tattered Cover, and I'd occasionally plan a full day in there or the surrounding area. Go early, peruse the 5 floors of books, then maybe go eat someplace close by and go back to the Tattered Cover to enjoy an afternoon sitting in a cozy chair, selecting which books I wanted to go home with.
Yeah, I understand what you're saying. The Tattered Cover seems like a book-lover paradise! Where do you typically get your e-books and audiobooks from? I'm new to all of that and don't really know where to start!
I get audiobooks from Audible for the most part and e-books from Barnes and Noble, since I've had a Nook in one form or another since they came out.
ianbuchanan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ianbuchanan »

read2u wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 18:18 Most of the time I get books online but, going to auctions is a good way to get them also. You can find some out of print or antique books this way. I rarely get books from the library anymore cause I want to keep them.
Thanks for sharing! Are you typically using Amazon to get books online? I know that seems to be the preferred source of many.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Libs_Books wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 04:35
ianbuchanan wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 18:00
Libs_Books wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 01:57On the whole, therefore, it's pretty convenient, but somehow it's always harder to return books than it is to take them out. I'm greedy and usually get too many out and can't finish them all in time.
Does your library have a return "shoot" or bin? I know the libraries I frequent do, which is nice. You don't have to even go inside and can return books at any hour you please. Renewing online is a great feature, it saves you the trip to and from the library! I'm always surprised to hear of libraries without this feature; however, they are typically the smaller operations that simply may not have the resources to have such a feature.
The library doesn't have any bin (etc) system for returning books out of office hours when the building is locked, but lately they have started opening access to their automated check-in/check-out machines at times when the library is officially closed, provided the building (which they share with the city museum) is open.
Ah, I see. Well, I guess that's a step in the right direction. Have you noticed a similar system with other libraries you've been to? Do they too have inconvenient return systems? I've never encountered a library (I live in a larger city) without return shoots/bins.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

seymmarc wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 12:28
seymmarc wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 09:55

I have gotten distracted by something I'm doing or another thought while listening to an audiobook, but I've also done the same with a book in print. I've found that I can't do something that takes too much thought while listening to an audiobook.
Right, and very true, the mind can wander with print books as well. What do you find to be the best parts of e-readers/e-books and audiobooks? I'm new to those entirely and have been wanting to learn more!
E-books are usually my last resort in regards to book format. I've found if I try to read from a screen with a backlight for too long, my eyes get tired and sore. Lately, I've been downloading any e-books from OBC onto my Kobo which has a more natural screen. As for audiobooks, I've found it depends a lot on the person narrating the book. There are some narrators that made me feel a deep connection with the characters and the storyline and others who have been so monotonous that I had to stop. I would check to see if your library has resources online that allow you to rent ebooks and audiobooks and give a few a try!
I can understand what you mean with your eyes getting fatigued. Staring at a screen all day at my job certainly has done my eyes no favors. I always find it nice to come home and not stare at a screen for a change! Interesting point about the narrator, never thought about that but yes, I can see that being a huge factor into how much enjoyment you get out of the book. I'll definitely look into my library's collection of ebooks and audiobooks. What do you primarily use to get you audiobooks?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Ameesa wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 17:43
Ameesa wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 22:56

I prefer e-books and audio books now, simply because I am used to them and I can get something new instantly. Plus I can shop for them from home or wherever I happen to be. I am mostly fine, thank you for asking, but after my fall, I find I'm becoming a bit of a recluse. I like familiar surroundings more now. But I don't consume books at the rate I used to, though planning to change that. Switching to e-books did take some getting used to and I do have friends who just can't seem to like them. Unfortunately, I also have a hard time holding books now, the arthritis is all over, and the e-books are easier to handle for me also.

I do miss spending hours in a good bookstore. Denver has one that is quite well known called The Tattered Cover, and I'd occasionally plan a full day in there or the surrounding area. Go early, peruse the 5 floors of books, then maybe go eat someplace close by and go back to the Tattered Cover to enjoy an afternoon sitting in a cozy chair, selecting which books I wanted to go home with.
Yeah, I understand what you're saying. The Tattered Cover seems like a book-lover paradise! Where do you typically get your e-books and audiobooks from? I'm new to all of that and don't really know where to start!
I get audiobooks from Audible for the most part and e-books from Barnes and Noble, since I've had a Nook in one form or another since they came out.
Okay, cool! How do you like Audible? I haven't really heard of any other audiobook outlets, I guess being an Amazon business elevates you to the top of any market pretty quickly! Do you ever have any trouble focusing on audiobooks when they are playing? I feel I might get distracted if doing other things while listening...but, I guess that can happen with print books as well. I'm guessing you can get your Barnes and Noble e-books online? Or must you visit a physical store? Online sure would be convenient as you don't have to go anywhere!
Ameesa
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Ameesa »

ianbuchanan wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 18:46

Okay, cool! How do you like Audible? I haven't really heard of any other audiobook outlets, I guess being an Amazon business elevates you to the top of any market pretty quickly! Do you ever have any trouble focusing on audiobooks when they are playing? I feel I might get distracted if doing other things while listening...but, I guess that can happen with print books as well. I'm guessing you can get your Barnes and Noble e-books online? Or must you visit a physical store? Online sure would be convenient as you don't have to go anywhere!
I love the books I usually get from Audible, but oh so much depends on the narrator. I can't listen to Games of Thrones, for instance. It's read by someone who was in their 80's, but most of the main characters are below 30 years old. Tyrion sounded like the Lucky Charms Leprechaun because he's a dwarf I guess, and Daenrys sounds like an old crone. On the other hand, some books, are outstanding whether they switch narrators due to viewpoint change or just great speakers. Always listen to samples first.

As for focus, I worked mostly alone for 20 years and as long as things were accurate and done timely, no one cared that I listened while I worked. I'm fairly good multi-tasking. But I do find, I pay more attention to a new story, then one I know very well. The ones I know well, help me sleep. I can let go of my day and let my mind get lost in another beloved world. So new ones, I listened to at work and awake, they kept me focused in my job and in the story. Old ones, read me to sleep each night.

I get all books online for the most part. Once in a while, I take a trip to a store, but it's rarer then it used to be.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

ianbuchanan wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 18:39
Libs_Books wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 04:35 The library doesn't have any bin (etc) system for returning books out of office hours when the building is locked, but lately they have started opening access to their automated check-in/check-out machines at times when the library is officially closed, provided the building (which they share with the city museum) is open.
Ah, I see. Well, I guess that's a step in the right direction. Have you noticed a similar system with other libraries you've been to? Do they too have inconvenient return systems? I've never encountered a library (I live in a larger city) without return shoots/bins.
I've met them in a university library, but not elsewhere. I haven't used any of the smaller local libraries recently, but I don't think they have the technology - which is a shame because, of course, they're open less often, so a bin system would be really useful.
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 18:14
Jfoust1988 wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 13:01
ianbuchanan wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 19:56

Huh, interesting! I'll definitely check it out! I'm fortunate to live in a suburb of a larger city with a great library system, so I use that almost for every book I read. Do you primarily read e-books? For whatever reason, I can't get off the old fashioned print book, just something about them!
I primarily listen to audiobooks or read ebooks. I do prefer the print book. Holding it in your hands just feels different. But being in a rural area I have to travel about 30 miles to the nearest library and the town its in is only a population of about 1000. So most of the books are very out of date. The newest selection they had for vampire fiction was Bram Stoker's Dracula. But also being a single mother of a 9 year old and a 2 year old my options are rather limited in the cash department. So ebooks are cheaper than hard copies. I do have some really awesome friends who have small personal libraries of their own and they let me borrow freely when I having a withdraw from lack of holding a real book.
Awesome, you are very resourceful! I'm entirely new to e-books and audiobooks...how much do they typically cost?
E-books vary in cost but usually run 10%-50% less than the hard copies. It really just depends on the popularity of the book and where you purchase them.

Amazon is by far one of the cheapest for e-books given they are always competing for the lowest prices.

As far as audiobooks go, I use audible. The membership is $14.95/month.
You Get 1 credit a month—good for any audiobook, any price. Keep your audiobooks, even if you cancel. You save 30% on any additional purchases. (Average books cost 12-20$ before your discount). Exchange any audiobooks you don’t love, even if you finished it. And you can listen to original series, comedy, news, and more with Channels.

I know they also have a secondary plan for 20$ or 25$ a month where you can get 2 free credits a month. But for this plan you must call customer service and change the plan over the phone.
seymmarc
Currently Reading: The Nun
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seymmarc.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by seymmarc »

ianbuchanan wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 18:43

I can understand what you mean with your eyes getting fatigued. Staring at a screen all day at my job certainly has done my eyes no favors. I always find it nice to come home and not stare at a screen for a change! Interesting point about the narrator, never thought about that but yes, I can see that being a huge factor into how much enjoyment you get out of the book. I'll definitely look into my library's collection of ebooks and audiobooks. What do you primarily use to get you audiobooks?
Hoopla and OverDrive are the two I've been using. I've found OverDrive has a wider selection, though, so that's my primary one.
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Ameesa wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 00:54
ianbuchanan wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 18:46

I love the books I usually get from Audible, but oh so much depends on the narrator. I can't listen to Games of Thrones, for instance. It's read by someone who was in their 80's, but most of the main characters are below 30 years old. Tyrion sounded like the Lucky Charms Leprechaun because he's a dwarf I guess, and Daenrys sounds like an old crone. On the other hand, some books, are outstanding whether they switch narrators due to viewpoint change or just great speakers. Always listen to samples first.

As for focus, I worked mostly alone for 20 years and as long as things were accurate and done timely, no one cared that I listened while I worked. I'm fairly good multi-tasking. But I do find, I pay more attention to a new story, then one I know very well. The ones I know well, help me sleep. I can let go of my day and let my mind get lost in another beloved world. So new ones, I listened to at work and awake, they kept me focused in my job and in the story. Old ones, read me to sleep each night.

I get all books online for the most part. Once in a while, I take a trip to a store, but it's rarer then it used to be.
Awesome, thanks for sharing that great insight! I laugh at your remarks about Game of Thrones :lol: , I can picture that in my head! And yes, that's what I've been hearing when talking with people in this forum...the narrator can make or break an audiobook! Never really would have thought of that, so thanks to you and other for pointing that out. Online does seem like the easiest way to buy books these days? Are you primarily buying off Amazon? Also, do ever visit a local library to get books? I personally love my local library!
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Libs_Books wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 02:54
ianbuchanan wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 18:39
Libs_Books wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 04:35 The library doesn't have any bin (etc) system for returning books out of office hours when the building is locked, but lately they have started opening access to their automated check-in/check-out machines at times when the library is officially closed, provided the building (which they share with the city museum) is open.
I've met them in a university library, but not elsewhere. I haven't used any of the smaller local libraries recently, but I don't think they have the technology - which is a shame because, of course, they're open less often, so a bin system would be really useful.
I see. Yeah! A bin is such a simple idea, I was surprised to hear that something of that manner was not present at every library. Must those that check out books from these libraries wait until they are open to return their rented books?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

Jfoust1988 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 10:46
Jfoust1988 wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 13:01

I primarily listen to audiobooks or read ebooks. I do prefer the print book. Holding it in your hands just feels different. But being in a rural area I have to travel about 30 miles to the nearest library and the town its in is only a population of about 1000. So most of the books are very out of date. The newest selection they had for vampire fiction was Bram Stoker's Dracula. But also being a single mother of a 9 year old and a 2 year old my options are rather limited in the cash department. So ebooks are cheaper than hard copies. I do have some really awesome friends who have small personal libraries of their own and they let me borrow freely when I having a withdraw from lack of holding a real book.
Awesome, you are very resourceful! I'm entirely new to e-books and audiobooks...how much do they typically cost?
E-books vary in cost but usually run 10%-50% less than the hard copies. It really just depends on the popularity of the book and where you purchase them.

Amazon is by far one of the cheapest for e-books given they are always competing for the lowest prices.

You Get 1 credit a month—good for any audiobook, any price. Keep your audiobooks, even if you cancel. You save 30% on any additional purchases. (Average books cost 12-20$ before your discount). Exchange any audiobooks you don’t love, even if you finished it. And you can listen to original series, comedy, news, and more with Channels.

I know they also have a secondary plan for 20$ or 25$ a month where you can get 2 free credits a month. But for this plan you must call customer service and change the plan over the phone.
Awesome, definitely great to know moving forward! Does the Audible membership fee of roughly $15/month allow to get as many audiobooks you want? In other words, you pay the $15 and nothing else for access to a library of audiobooks? Or, is the membership fee charged on top of what's charged to buy the audiobook?
ianbuchanan

Post by ianbuchanan »

seymmarc wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 12:55
ianbuchanan wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 18:43

Hoopla and OverDrive are the two I've been using. I've found OverDrive has a wider selection, though, so that's my primary one.
Great, thanks for sharing! Now, how much do the audiobooks end up costing on average? Also, do you have to pay to sign up for the service, such as Hoopla or OverDrive?
Jfoust1988
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jfoust1988.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Jfoust1988 »

ianbuchanan wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 17:23
Jfoust1988 wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 10:46

Awesome, definitely great to know moving forward! Does the Audible membership fee of roughly $15/month allow to get as many audiobooks you want? In other words, you pay the $15 and nothing else for access to a library of audiobooks? Or, is the membership fee charged on top of what's charged to buy the audiobook?
For the $15 (a month) you get one free book each month (of any genre, any price, and any popularity). Any additional books will cost you. However, you do get 30% off the price of all additional audiobooks. So not to kid oneself, you are essentially buying your credit each month. In return you can use it for a book that's higher in priced than $15. While still getting 30% off all other books you purchase. So when others are paying 35$ for an audiobook your getting it with your $15 credit or for more like $20 if it's an additional purchases. If your credit is already used for that month.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”