Disabled Characters

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Re: Disabled Characters

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

I am not aware of these authors. I will check it out, especially your favorite. Mahalo! It is good to hear that children books are including special needs kids more.
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

You know, I am really surprised that no one has mentioned Tiny Tim from Charles Dickens', A Christmas Carol.

To this I might add ... John Singer (a mute) in Carson McCuller's The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, and Lenny Small (mentally challenged) in John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
alwaysdaddygirl

Mahalo DATo for the reminders with the classics! Kudos for being the previous member of the month! I have not read Dickens in a long time. Regardless, I should remember. I have a lot of reading to do now with including these classics. That makes me happy! Sound corny but the truth.
Mitch Albom
🦋
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

I second "The Rosie Project" by Graeme Simsion for autism. It was a very interesting and entertaining read. Also, I finished a crime novel recently called "Going Underground" by Michael Lease where one of the characters was autistic.

"The Toaster Oven Mocks Me" by Steve Margolis is a non-fiction account of living with synesthesia, a condition where one sense is perceived by an additional sense (for example, "seeing" music).

For a young adult book, I very highly recommend "Out of My Mind" by Sharon Draper, a story about a girl who cannot walk or talk but is still present and fully capable mentally. I think all junior high students should read this book!

I don't know if you would include depression under your list, but "A Little Life" by Hanya Yanagihara is a very lengthy yet worthwhile read. Also, "All the Bright Places" by Jennifer Niven is another must-read young adult novel, where one of the main characters deals with depression.
alwaysdaddygirl

Mahalo Buchacha21! I will check these books as well.

It good to know all these books exist to help people!
Mitch Albom
🦋

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”