Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
kate_nguyen
Currently Reading: Alexis Zorba
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-nguyen.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by kate_nguyen »

My ex was a non-reader and my current boyfriend is one also. Personally, I don't recommend dating that kind of "people" but yeah, they have good personality so I adapt :)))
esthernn
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by esthernn »

Ok with me, everyone has a right to choose on a hobby. A non-reader would not affect me negatively.
GuiltyPleasures
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by GuiltyPleasures »

I think I would and I could. We can always discover common grounds other than reading that both of us would relate to at the same time. It doesn't matter if he doesn't read. As long as he's a good person who is loyal to me then maybe I can adapt. :D
ROAM2020
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ROAM2020 »

I can't because if the person doesn't read she will make mistakes all the time
shelidizel
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelidizel.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by shelidizel »

NO!! we will not resonate in the same frequency. it will be so boring.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
JudyJo
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judyjo.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by JudyJo »

No, not only could I not date someone who couldn't read, I couldn't date someone who would not read. How can you possibly be a well-rounded person if you don't read? It boggles my imagination. Mainly because books have always been such a big part of my own life, I can't imagine an interesting person who doesn't read --something!

Now, the statement that I couldn't date someone who couldn't read might sound judgmental. But it actually happened with my second marriage. I knew his family, but he (and they) hid his lack of intellect very well. He had a good job, and everything seemed okay. It was only after we had been married a couple of months that I realized he had a problem with reading. And he had a big problem with ME reading too much. It was horrible. The longest 6 years of my life....but I digress.
You learn so much about the world through books, and using your imagination in a way that surpasses video.
Ras Jose
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Ras Jose »

It will depend on someone's characters if they are good I can date even if he or she is not reading.
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

Date yes, marry no.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I am married to someone who doesn't read (other than work memos), and it can be frustrating at times since I love it so much. We also encourage our kids to read, so I would feel better if my spouse read as well. :|
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

I' ve never dated a man who doesn't read books because I attract my kind but I think I can date a man who doesn't read. I respect other people's decisions. I'll buy him books and make him see reasons why he should start reading.
Cynthia 3
Currently Reading: Closer to God each Day
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cynthia 3 »

Well reading for me is a way to escape reality, a form of relaxation, something that I can do at any moment and any where. As long as the person respects my time and leave me alone while I'm reading. There is nothing I hate more than someone asking me questions or attempting to hold a conversation when I am trying to read.
Abigailrae
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Abigailrae »

I person who does not read, would not affect the relationship drastically. I find it hard to find the time to read anyway.
Goaldiggergirl
Currently Reading: My Sister, My Friend
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Goaldiggergirl »

Honestly speaking i don't know. Yes i love reading books but when you fall in love they're changes. I can teach him to read or convince him to try reading some books. Or i can read for him.
thelittlelibrary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thelittlelibrary.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by thelittlelibrary »

I'm currently dating someone who doesn't read but he understands that I love it and will spend my spare time reading. He encourages it and always asks about my books. He has even made an effort to read more and we are currently reading the Harry Potter series together.
ReadReadRead
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readreadread.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David

Post by ReadReadRead »

I find that readers are usually a "certain type" of person. They're, generally speaking, more involved in the world around them and more invested in sharing their views on topics of interest.
I would need to date someone who has the qualities of a reader and as such, need to date a reader :)
Latest Review: "The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”