Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Job Njoroge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-job-njoroge.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Job Njoroge »

That would be quite hard since they would be short on ideas and would almost maintain a status quo in their thinking
Abodunrin
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abodunrin.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Abodunrin »

Well I believe that character is built by the quality of books a person reads and the people the person associate his/herself with. In a relationship personality is very important it determines the response, reply, reaction to anything coming from the both parties and the reading of books have a significant effect on the personality and character of a person I believe. Therefore I won't want to date someone who doesn't read, emphasis on the want to because love is incomprehensible most times.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

I think our interests differ. While it is good that we read and learn from others' experience in books, people want to learn through their own experiences. Dating such people will be a bit difficult for me, but at least if they are willing to find out some things by themselves without necessarily pestering me, then I don't have any problem.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Salman Waheed
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Salman Waheed »

Ahmm, I think I could because if I began to see whether she reads or not I might never get a date. If someone does not read, he/she might have his/her own reasons. But I could not date someone who does not have any passion or cool hobby at all.
Toshia
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 912">First Grave on the Right</a>
Bookshelf Size: 513
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toshia.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly

Post by Toshia »

I am currently married to someone who doesn't read. There have been plenty of times he has actually he has stated, "You are married to your books, not me". I will admit, it is tough to balance a personal life with my fictional one. ? What's a girl to do? Smile, come back with something witty (when I say witty, I mean something from a book I've read), then proceed to walk away, leaving him confused.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part I" by B. Truly
Colleen0701
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colleen0701.html
Latest Review: "Kennedy's Revenge" by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Colleen0701 »

Noooo. My husband read even more than I did when we were married.
Some people read to live. I live to read.
Latest Review: "Kennedy's Revenge" by Stephen L Rodenbeck
Barry1379
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barry1379.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Barry1379 »

No because it will be difficult to interact with her about current trends which she will not have any idea about to contribute.
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

I would date someone that doesnot read. He would have other different interesting aspects about him. You never know.
okayode
Currently Reading: Satan and Me and OBE
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by okayode »

Yes i can ... She may not like reading right, but that does not make her an illiterate. So yes i may

-- 19 Oct 2017, 18:04 --

Yes i can ... She may not like reading right, but that does not make her an illiterate. So yes i may
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Ho-hoo, dating someone who doesn't read? Why not? As it seems, one way to gauge a person's intellectual mock-up is through her or his readings. Or if such a person reads at all. The other ways will be through casual observation and, of course, by looking at the resume. That's for certain. This will aid you in picking up a nice conversational thread on which to converse.

Otherwise, you will have to resort to the most probable subject of interest to the person concerned -- herself.
For a woman, there is nothing more flattering than your noticing her unique hairdo, lipstick, perfume, dress, etc. If this is not a sustaining subject long enough to cover the evening, you can expand to her activities and personal preferences. This could leave her talking arduously, with you only supplying the little nods. Remember that to be a good conversationalist is to be a good listener.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
bjon terrence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B01N49ILW2

Post by bjon terrence »

oh no, that would be intellectual succide.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

My husband's not a big reader, which has always baffled me. How can anyone not love books? But, we have so many other things in common, that this is no big deal.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

Of course. Reading is more personal to me and I dont have to share a book I love with someone to enjoy the experience.
lisajo1127
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisajo1127.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lisajo1127 »

I guess I could date someone that doesn't read but I can't really imagine being interested in someone that doesn't read. I mean if they don't read, there is not much chance that we would have a whole lot in common. I read all the time. Every day. If I need answers, I read. If I am bored, I read. It's what I do.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
OwlI007
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owli007.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Post by OwlI007 »

I married someone who doesn't read and doesn't like or want to read. He only reads unless he has to...for school or work purposes! It doesn't bother me at all, though. To each his own :) My love of reading is enough for the both of us LOL. He knows that I love to read and when I'm not at work, with him or our kids, that I'm more than likely going to be reading. I'm trying to instill the love of reading into my kids. Fingers crossed it'll work!
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”