Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Zelinda »

Not seriously. I'm too biased in the belief that people who don't read books generally are not well-versed in the many aspects of life which surround us. I know it's a prejudice, and I am open to be proven wrong, but I haven't been shown this yet.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
Btowntheatregal
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-btowntheatregal.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Btowntheatregal »

I definitely wouldn't be able to date someone who didn't read. My partner doesn't read books as much as I do, but reads a lot of political science and philosophy magazines and digests, and she is an avid New York Times and Washington Post reader. I just like being able to discuss what we are reading and learning.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
erjonas
Currently Reading: Inferno
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erjonas.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by erjonas »

It's a bit difficult to say. I don't exactly go around choosing partners on the basis of a checklist (which I assume most people don't, anyway). However, most of the people I have a good relationship with generally tend to enjoy books. I can only assume that my subconscious naturally steers towards people who enjoy books.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Choose NOT to read?! @o@!

There is absolutely NO WAY I could EVER get involved with anyone who doesn't love to read!
As an avid reader who's nearly always in the middle of reading SOMEthing, that just doesn't even compute with me. I just...I just...I can't even fathom such a thing.

Lucky for me that my bf loves to read almost as much as I do AND we are both in the middle of authoring books of our own.
Karen0823
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen0823.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Karen0823 »

I could and I have. I know intelligent people who read (i.e., magazines, internet articles, and news, etc.) but they just don't read books. As I've aged, I've become more attracted to the brain than the body. As long as the intelligence and same-mindedness are there, and as long as they don't have a problem with my book escapism, I'm fine with a non-reader.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Kat Kennedy
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-kennedy.html
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella

Post by Kat Kennedy »

I could not. I don't know what we would talk about. Plus, I'm also a writer, so if someone didn't read, I guess I'd at some point feel pretty dang offended. Just saying.
Latest Review: "All About Water" by Greg Chick, Marta Zarrella
Oliver Ekaso
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oliver-ekaso.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Oliver Ekaso »

As a lover of books, it would be very boring. Like you doing most of the talking. But then you cant expect everybody to be like you. At least the person should be intelligent and sound upstairs.
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Leyla »

My husband doesn't read, he's mostly into cars, sports, military and guns. But we have mutual interest like travelling that we talk about.
AC Morano
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by AC Morano »

I don't think I could. I don't expect him to be a voracious reader as I am but at least he should read something.
arunsecuredlives
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by arunsecuredlives »

off course! its depend that person might be an ability to gain and deliver our level of thoughts!
maryam5
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by maryam5 »

yes definitely but i will be so much fun if the person do read
anacmg9211
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacmg9211.html

Post by anacmg9211 »

I'm currently dating a guy that reads just as much as I do and I enjoy talking with him about the books we're each reading. For our first date he actually took me to a book store after dinner and we browsed around together just commenting on the books we had read and the ones we wanted to. Towards the end he told me I could pick any book and he'd get it for me, so it was the perfect first date. Even if we don't work our I think I would rather date someone who reads just like he does.
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

As an aspiring writer I absolutely can not see myself tolerating a partner who doesn't like to read. I don't think that such s relationship would ever work out. It's like right away I just know I wouldn't get much support for my choice of craft or be shown any appreciation for what I do. I need passionate people in my life and people who don't read, lack passion. Reading is the key to learning and improving in any facet of life, so for someone to not read at all they're just limiting their capacity.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Ofcourse I can. They can start at anytime. Myself I started reading after 28. Love and reading can come at anytime. No one can predict what's written for us.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

waffurlee
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by waffurlee »

Yes I am in fact open to being in relationships with people who don't read. Mostly because I used to not be a fan of books about 8 years ago. Even though reading is a very important part of my life now, I don't think it takes up 100% of who I am as a person. More like 90%. Just kidding. More like 50%. But anyway, I also think it would be awesome if I started a relationship with someone and GOT them into a love of reading. That would be so special to me. But regardless, I would never give up reading for another person. It's an outlet for my mental health issues and my reality. Also it made me smarter.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”